Wanna Bet on whose the daddy is?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We had a calf today out of a recip cow. The embryo was implanted on 1/3/2016 the cow was called safe to the ET date via ultra sound on 2/4/2016. Two weeks ago I was checking cows and told the boss I thought she was going to calve any minute. She had a full bag and was dilated. She finally had the calf today 19 days past due date. The calf weighed in at a hefty 110 pounds. If this calf is in fact an ET calf he has two flush sisters that were born 10/2 66# and 10/3 88#. If the bull was bred natural service the birth weight EPD of the bull is 3.0. So if you were betting who would you guess the sire of the calf is? The ET sire is Resource 1441 he has a 3.2 birth weight EPD. Needless to say we will DNA test the calf for parentage so I will know for sure after weaning but its always fun to see what others think.

gizmom

It is common in dairy cows, namely holsteins, for them to carry 10 days or more longer with an ET calf. And brown swiss will go longer than that so it would be my guess that it might very well be the ET as opposed to a bull breeding. Seems like even though the ET is more days along when it is implanted, I sometimes think there is a "delayed reaction" to the actual implant and the egg truly implanting in the uterine lining. Did you turn her with a bull as soon as she was confirmed preg? If you did not turn her with a bull within a week of confirming the pregnancy, my money would be on the ET. If she went immediately with a bull after confirmation, then all bets are off and I would lean towards the bull breeding.

ET calves can be heavier than the same pairing in a natural service.

The EPDs don't paint a clear picture.

What do you know of the recips ability to hold a pregnancy longer than 283 days?

... with this info, I'm guessing ET calf.

WalnutCrest

This is a recip that we raised. We AI'd her as a heifer she took HC 60# 10 days early. Put an embryo in her as a wet two year old she took 84# HC 7 days early, put another embryo in 98# BC came on the actual due date. This is her fourth calf, I will be honest this one could go either way. I am tempted to go ahead and get a blood sample because it is one of those I honestly can't figure out. I haven't seen the calf yet Mike said he is really nice he wasn't slow like some that are that big he was up and active. He said he is a good rip and the boss agreed, the cow is really nice and so was the natural service bull he was one of my favorites we have raised but I sure hope this is a Resource calf out of our Blackcap May donor. Otherwise this is going to be one heck of a steer.

So, each one she's given you she's kept longer than the one before ... and ... she's taken each embryo she's been given ... so, my money is on an ET calf.

Looking forward to the DNA results.

Where's Maury Povich when you need him?!?

I received the DNA results this morning and the calf is not an embryo. It is a shame he is a really good looking little sucker. His adj. weaning weight was 723 pounds or a gain of 3.02 pounds a day. I have turned in the rest of the ET calves for parent verification, but pulled blood on this calf when we worked the calves. he was the only one I was not feeling sure of. I expect the rest of them to be confirmed as ET calves.

gizmom

Latest posts