AI or PB... Who's the daddy

Help Support CattleToday:

txcattledude

Reaction score
Had a buddy of mine AI 10 of my commerical cows for me last spring on 4/10/11. 285 would have put the due date on 1/20/12. I turned 9 of them out w/ my herford bull for his last go round before I sold him. The 10th was a black baldy daughter of his that I had kept AI'd to a maine anjou (black) and turned her loose with my 18 month old angus. The 9 should not be to hard to tell as the 2 week past window is slowly passing and they should either be black or be a nice baldy like the 10th. But the 10th one dropped a solid black bull calf yesterday evening the 30th. My Angus bull was turned in with her on 4/29/11 which would put her PB due date on 2/8/12. Not a big deal for me, but my buddy will want to brag on his AI conception rate. So what are your best guesses? AI and the little boy was 10 days late or PB and he was 10 early.

I agree with Knersie . Was the calf a "little guy" or was he a big calf for your average calve sizes, also was she a mature cow ?

Now that we are getting rain in Texas, It is clear as mud! :eek:

First calf for the heifer, medium frame, 2 days short of 23 months old. Calf was about 10 lbs bigger than thna the AI calves that I usually see on my heifers. He was the size is about what I see from my 3 or 4 year olds that are natural.

txcattledude":2r8f1ebg said:
Now that we are getting rain in Texas, It is clear as mud! :eek:

First calf for the heifer, medium frame, 2 days short of 23 months old. Calf was about 10 lbs bigger than thna the AI calves that I usually see on my heifers. He was the size is about what I see from my 3 or 4 year olds that are natural.

Being it was a heifer, I now have no clue. If it was a cow I would have said late, but now a first calver it may have been early and big. Is it common for a blk Anjou bred to a baldy to throw solid blk calves ,or is it common for a Blk Angus bred to a baldy to throw a solid blk calf ?

Was the AI bull a good calving ease for heifers . If yes, then lets go with the AI bull . :p

Have not been able to find a picture on the Maine bull to see what his coloring is. And I know that the Angus is going to take most if not all of the white out of a calf.
Maine bull was LLND Houdini BW of .9 on the Maine scale. PB bull is one I raised and this was his first calf. His BW is -.7 on the Angus scale.

Thannks VCC, That is him. Maybe that curly hair will carry on and I can tell. My young bull is a KR New Design son that is jet black as well.

You can guess about it forever or if you really want to know spend about $35 (if the AI bull you used is a popular one) and find out for sure. A parentage DNA test will let you know. Otherwise you may never know.

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts