HookLine Bacon

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
One of our members likes to get stung by bees. As a byproduct of this passion some pretty good honey is made and he gave me some which I used to make some bacon.

Started out with a pork belly and mixed five cups of canning salt with 4 tbs of cure 1 and coated it down good. Then I took the honey and worked it in good over the slab and let it cure for six days.

IMG_4778.jpg

After this I rinsed it off good and let it air dry for a few hours and fired up Wilbur with some pecan limbs.

IMG_4786.jpg

After the temp got right, I cracked the seal on a bottle of Crown and stuck the slab in Wilbur and let it bathe at 150 degrees in pecan smoke while I nursed the bottle(s) for about 10 hours until the internal temperature was around 135.

IMG_4792.jpg

Let it cool overnight and sliced it up.

IMG_4799.jpg

In my opinion, the end result was well worth the many stings it took to gather the honey. Definitely some of the best bacon I've eaten. Sure hope he continues his passion for getting stung cause I intend on making lots more of this. Do hope he figures out what's causing the fumes from the honey to cause the morning headache though. :oops:

:banana: your a funny guy! I can't wait to get the hogs back from the butcher and make some bacon. Ill make sure to get you some more honey next time I get up that way

When I read the heading I thought it was going to be something like alligator steaks wrapped in bacon :lol: :p .
Looks good Jo!

I didn't figure you would let that go to waste. I'm kinda suprised you didn't try to make mead from it tho.
Alison, now you've given me some ideas!

I've got some mead in the works. Fella down the road has a bunch of palmetto honey that settles badly and buyers aren't too fond of it and he's against pasturizing it. So I thought if I add a little water and some yeast to the mix I'll surely come out with some pleasant tasting palmetto ambrosia or panty juice or whatever one might call it.

The palmetto honey is just higher in moisture content than they can sell..ferments too quick. Should be good mead juice. You can remove the moisture from it, but its a drawn out process.

Wrap that around a jalapeno filled with cream cheese, and I'll be right over : )

Kingfisher":2j8h99zr said:
Would it have been too sweet if you had not " Rinsed it off?" ;)

Probably so. Most definitely would be too salty which is the main reason for the rinse. The honey penetrates the meat pretty good and gives it a mildly sweet taste and this along with the pecan smoke makes it really unique. This bacon also cooks much faster than store bought so you gotta be careful.

3waycross":2j8h99zr said:
bretsam":2j8h99zr said:
Wrap that around a jalapeno filled with cream cheese, and I'll be right over : )

NOW yer talkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Its been known to happen. ABT's and Pork Peckers are definitely on the horizon.

IMG_3498.jpg

I hope you are aware of the danger of ejoying these.

knockout.jpg

Sheesh, how did I miss this one? Sweet and salty bacon with that luxurious pork fat, wrapped around a spicy jalapeno, filled with rich creamy cream cheese, and smoked. Sweet, salty, buttery, smoky, spicy, creamy - together in every bite. Heaven!!

Just got back with about 250lbs of pork. 2 slabs of bacon already curing. Can't find any pecan wood around here, so I'm trying to find some hickory, or may just use orange wood.

Next time you are up this way I'll load you up with pecan. I wouldn't mind trying some orange wood myself. (hint)

Well, I tried your recipe with a few of my own tweaks. I used to morton sugar cure instead, and used hickory. Turned out GREAT! I sent you the pics. My phone isn't letting me load them for some reason today

Got the pics and they do look great. Now all you need is some fresh tomatoes and some lettuce and white bread!