Bacon

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1pouowwc said:
True Grit Farms":1pouowwc said:
Jogeephus":1pouowwc said:
Smoking meat without curing salt. Are you not worried about botulism? What temperature are you running your smoker?
Is there any problem with putting curing salt in every thing you grind?

Not at all as long as you use it per the label. It reacts and breaks down so their is very little if any left if you follow the instrutions. General rule though is you should always use curing salt when you are smoking meats or have meat in an aneorobic environment which is between 40 - 140F. Once the toxin is released you are in for trouble unless you cook the meat to 180F and keep it there for 10 minutes. This is why the old timers always boiled their canned green beans so long that they turned to mush.
Thanks Joe, you enlightened me on botulism years ago, "it'll kill you". I've been adding about a table spoon to 10 lbs of ground meat ever since. Sure turns pretty red meat brown quickly is the only thing that I've noticed

True Grit Farms":2n4bfmn2 said:
Jogeephus":2n4bfmn2 said:
True Grit Farms":2n4bfmn2 said:
Is there any problem with putting curing salt in every thing you grind?

Not at all as long as you use it per the label. It reacts and breaks down so their is very little if any left if you follow the instrutions. General rule though is you should always use curing salt when you are smoking meats or have meat in an aneorobic environment which is between 40 - 140F. Once the toxin is released you are in for trouble unless you cook the meat to 180F and keep it there for 10 minutes. This is why the old timers always boiled their canned green beans so long that they turned to mush.
Thanks Joe, you enlightened me on botulism years ago, "it'll kill you". I've been adding about a table spoon to 10 lbs of ground meat ever since. Sure turns pretty red meat brown quickly is the only thing that I've noticed

It shouldn't be turning it brown. Should turn it red like the color of ham. Also, a TBS is too much. For 10 lbs you only need 2 tsp. Mix this with your salt and mix it with the meat well. Best to cover it then and let it sit overnight in the fridge to let the nitrite work.

The very best way to do it is to mix your salt and cure and add this to your cut up meat into sizes that will fit in your grinder then cover it and leave it for 2-3 days in the fridge then grind it. The browning you are seeing is most likely from oxidation.

Jogeephus":yorxhb9z said:
skyhightree1":yorxhb9z said:
Jogeephus":yorxhb9z said:
Smoking meat without curing salt. Are you not worried about botulism? What temperature are you running your smoker?

Usually 250 or so I get internal temp to 150-160 take off let them cool in fridge

You should be fine then but your bacon might be greasy than it should be since you have your heat up so high you are rendering fat.

Yes you gotta watch it before it gets too crazy