Selling artisan bacon question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
More and more people have been asking to buy the bacon we've been making, and my wife has shown interest in putting a booth together at the farmers markets. What are the requirements to sell artisnal bacon as it pertains to the FDA? Do I need inspected or can it be sold without FDA's embracing outstretched palms? I figured this was a good place to ask the question. Maybe I could buy the bellies(inspected) and sell my time and labor for the curing/smoke process. Just thinking out loud here

Ask the folks selling the booth space at the market. Ask others at the market selling meat products for some insight too.

you sell a can coke cola and give away the bacon. at least that's how guns are sold at equipment auctions around here.

presmudjo":1enki58r said:
Ask dept. Of Ag, or extension office. Florida recently got rid of a bunch of rules and opened up the cottage industry, but I don't recall all the parts and pieces.

Ditto that. It can get complicated.

My computer is in the shop, when I get it back I can give you Jessica Sullivan number at the extension office. She is good and can email a bunch of information to you. She works out of Osceola County.

Plan on wasting a lot of time. I'm licensed here and the laxing of the laws for the cottage industry does not affect meat. The restrictions are pretty tight. You have to have a devoted kitchen solely for the purpose of processing. It has to have its own restroom and be unattached to your home. It has to be inspected and pass their approval. You have to have certain safety things like a three basin stainless sink, wash stations, floor drains, special siding on the interior, water has to be tested, sewer has to pass certain regulations, light bulbs have to be shatter proof, bathroom door must be self closing, coolers have to be approved, must have a certified set of scales and tables must meet certain requirements. Once your facility passes this then you have to get permits to make certain things and pass this tier of regulations and inspections and pay these fees.

Here is a good example of how complicated it is. Girl here worked for the Dept of Ag as a food inspector. She was interested in going out on her own and was familiar with all the laws so she quit her job and she and her husband spent $60,000 building a commercial kitchen at her home. Being an insider she was able to streamline the whole permitting process since it was her buddies doing the inspecting and she knew who to call. She got all the state permits and started to make her wares when the city shut her down because she had built the operation in an area that was not zoned for it. And she knew her stuff .... just not enough.

I think the best advice I can give you is look into it really thoroughly without raising any flags. Calculate how much money you are going to clear on your bacon and see how many slabs it will take you to pay for one thousand dollar sink once you subtract out your power, your permit fees, sales tax, your shrinkage and your time. I think when you do the math you will conclude you'll have to sell a pile of bacon before you can even break even and you will decide its best to be content selling to your friends and neighbors.

All this is for a processing facility which is regulated under the dept of ag. I think you will notice a lot of people doing what I think you are wanting to do are doing it inside a restaurant. Restaurants are regulated under the Dept of Health and they have different standards and as long as you are preparing foods to consume on the premises you are allowed to make a certain portion of other things like bacon and salami without having to go through some of the hoops the fda will require.

The difficulty of this came about from the fictional book called The Jungle. It got everyone in an uproar over how unsafe meat processing was so they cracked down on it with several laws one being the Wholesome Meat Act of 1967. This law grandfathered the older meat markets in for a period of some years but after that point they would have to update the facility and most just tossed in the towel and gave up which is why we no longer have the ma and pop butcher shops around anymore. But you can still do it. Not saying you can't. Its just very difficult and very expensive.

As long as the pork was inspected during slaughter you can cook and sale it. If it's hogs you are raising then they have to be slaughtered under inspection. Not sure about your state but in Texas you can just be state inspected to slaughter for resale if the meat is sold in the state. If you are curing and cooking boxed bacon that was slaughtered under USDA inspection then no problem except your facilities will have to be inspected by the county health inspector more than likely.

Pretty sure you will need to send me at least 10 lbs and I can have it inspected here before you spend a lot of time getting the permits. It might take 10 lb every few months to keep the inspection current. :cowboy:

kenny thomas":2evg1u3m said:
Pretty sure you will need to send me at least 10 lbs and I can have it inspected here before you spend a lot of time getting the permits. It might take 10 lb every few months to keep the inspection current. :cowboy:
We can get you right in Texas but it might be 15 pounds every couple of months...:)

presmudjo":3p6mjanw said:
My computer is in the shop, when I get it back I can give you Jessica Sullivan number at the extension office. She is good and can email a bunch of information to you. She works out of Osceola County.
Thanks.
Jo, that's what I'm concerned about. All the effort needed to just invite trouble from the gov. I'll see if I can get some details on it if the bellies are inspected.

Hook":3thqtc7j said:
I'll see if I can get some details on it if the bellies are inspected.

This has nothing to do with you or your plans. The bellies have to be inspected and stamped if they are going to be used in commerce but just because the facility that processed them is deemed safe speaks nothing of you or your operation. So if you are going to process or cook the meat then you and your operation will have to be inspected as well. Each step of the food chain is regulated and inspected. In your case it will either be through the Health Dept or the Dept of Ag who is acting for the FDA.

FDA is federal and they set the rules and the state agencies must follow their rules so the rules are essentially the same in every state. Except California. I understand that California bucked a lot on this regulation and is now allowing any in home made artesian foods prepared in a traditional manner be sold in farmer's markets and such.

highgrit":2ieeu09p said:
I think you would have less troubles selling dope.

Hook, This gives me an Idea. So you smoke up a 1000 lbs of bacon and I will meet you at an undisclosed location under the cover of darkness and bring the product north I will then distribute the said product to several of my associates to distribute. The first 1000 lbs will gratis because we have to create the need all of this will can be accomplished at 80(me)- 20(you) split. I assume all of the risk and responsibility.

Growing dope would be much simpler and you'd make a whole lot more money and the penalty wouldn't be near as severe as doing something illegal with food. Just be sure to sell it in Colorado where they can tax it and make it safe.

I have a friend who sells pork and beef at the Farmers Market I sell at.
Her meat is processed at a USDA inspected processor and the processor puts her custom label on the products. They are shrink wrapped and frozen.

I really doubt that you can legally sell bacon that you processed unless you have an inspected commercial kitchen and facility with the proper licensing.
Both of us have food vendor permits from Harris County Health Department to sell food that has to be kept refrigerated at the market. I sell eggs and baked goods (under the Texas Cottage Food Law.)
I also have my food handlers permit.

Latest posts