Buckboard Bacon

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Was running short on bacon so I decided to make one of my favorites. For some reason we cannot keep this around the house for any length of time.

Boned out boston butt slathered with my secret curing sauce.

IMG_5941.jpg

After curing for 2 weeks it was put in a bath of heavy pecan smoke at 200F for several hours.

IMG_6843_zps30291003.jpg

When the internal temp reached 145F it was placed in the cooler for the night to chill before slicing.

IMG_6844_zps555143a1.jpg

Sliced and packaged and ready for the eggs. IMO, this stuff is amazing. The flavors of pan fried buckboard bacon just makes your tastebuds go nuts with the contrasting flavors.

IMG_6848_zps8203d607.jpg

That is some really good stuff. Used to make that back when I had a kitchen and the proper food license so I could sell it. There was usually a line for it and the Canadian stuff.

Slick, my wife likes the canadian bacon but the buckboard is what just sets it off for me. You can't buy it around here I guess its just too expensive to make or something but man is it good.

Pdfangus, this is something you need to take on one of your long horse travels. It would set the mood for sure.

Jogeephus":1r1rcl9l said:
Slick, my wife likes the canadian bacon but the buckboard is what just sets it off for me. You can't buy it around here I guess its just too expensive to make or something but man is it good.

Pdfangus, this is something you need to take on one of your long horse travels. It would set the mood for sure.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY....YOU TAKING ORDERS???

Would you be wanting free range, organic, free range orgainic, free range organic small carbon footprint or just corn fed or peanut fed pork? :lol2:

Jogeephus":1it4mm5w said:
Would you be wanting free range, organic, free range orgainic, free range organic small carbon footprint or just corn fed or peanut fed pork? :lol2:
You forgot to mention GMO or GEO ;-)

Looks edible I guess.
Nice work. As soon as it cools down I'm going to start some hams, some of that butt bacon, and some regular bacon. Probably do some more corned beef and such too. It's just too hot still to think about babysitting a smoker right now

pdfangus":bs61q397 said:
Jogeephus":bs61q397 said:

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY....YOU TAKING ORDERS???

This stuff is so easy it's a shame not to do it yourself.

Commercial seasoning:
http://www.basspro.com/Hi-Mountain-Buck ... /10216529/

Instructions:
http://www.himtnjerky.com/board-inst.html

Thanks Jogeephus (and everyone who added to the thread) That looks just too good to miss out on!
Ya all better make a big batch--you have heard there's a bacon shortage comin haven't ya?

The bacon doomsday clock is now officially ticking as we count down to Porkocalypse, next year's worldwide bacon shortage predicted this week by the U.K.'s National Pig Association.

The horror! The anguish! We're pulling our hair out just at the thought of bacon-less frying pans the globe over. Which makes us think -- if need be, we may have to start stocking our cellar with bacon products to carry us through the bleak bacon-free days ahead. Maybe the Mayans saw this coming in their end of the world prophesies. Those who pray at the temple of bacon could see their world crumbling to bacon bits this winter.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/09/ ... z27cHXD6iT

I'm betting when Jogeephus drives thru town, that all the bbq pits and smokers just bow down on their steel legs before him.

greybeard":3o6rl2oj said:
I'm betting when Jogeephus drives thru town, that all the bbq pits and smokers just bow down on their steel legs before him.
That I can attest to, the man can flat out cook

slick4591":3f1ij3g5 said:

I agree. Just takes some time and planning but its worth the trouble.

Greybeard, I read the article and that's one I could have predicted myself. I like how they are telling the grocers to pay the producers what the pigs are worth. Wonder if they'll ever say that about cattle producers.

Jogeephus":28ypljf9 said:
slick4591":28ypljf9 said:

I agree. Just takes some time and planning but its worth the trouble.

Greybeard, I read the article and that's one I could have predicted myself. I like how they are telling the grocers to pay the producers what the pigs are worth. Wonder if they'll ever say that about cattle producers.

given the fact that I do not have the equipment, or the smoker, or the experience or even the time to do it.....
rather than waste a lot of money acquiring these things ......
I would rather support someone who has these things, and can produce it....

I have talked about building a smoke house for years....but so far that is as far as I have gotten. I love a country smoked pepper cured ham but here it is easier to buy one.....and cheaper too....

Thanks, its really nothing to it.

When I was a boy there was a butcher on the corner up from the house who was Italian I think. He had some of the neatest foods and his shop always smelled so great to me. My mom never shopped there due to the prices but when I had a little extra money I'd go in and buy meat sticks and things. Its a shame places like that are so rare nowadays. Maybe one day I can have a shop like that and get paid for playing. :D

Latest posts