honest advice

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
This is the calf born at Christmas that got stepped on and had a broke mouth. She just turned 5 months last week. Would any of you consider her as a replacement. I have my opinion but I value yours. URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/hemiman_2007/media/IMAG0475_zps5c191fe0.jpg.html]
IMAG0475_zps5c191fe0.jpg
[/URL]

What's she going to do when the grass isn't green and she's got one to feed of her own instead of getting fed herself? Anything can look good when the grass is green.

That's a good sized heifer for 5 months in these parts. I'd be tempted to wean her early and out some stress on her just to see how she performs. Does she show any signs of favoring her jaw

Her teeth are slightly mis aligned on the right Side but good teeth to gum contact. I've watched her since she was 2 months graze and eat hay and she seems normal. She's got a good mama and she's always been a little butterball.

hooknline":1v0igmbz said:
That's a good sized heifer for 5 months in these parts. I'd be tempted to wean her early and out some stress on her just to see how she performs. Does she show any signs of favoring her jaw
No, do not wean her early and Put stress on her. The only reason to wean early would be to take stress of the mother if she wasn't holding condition in which case they would both need to go. She looks like she has potential. Just keep an eye on her and see how she progresses. At this point I would consider her.

Been down that road. Calf got kicked in the jaw horsing around with the cows a few years ago...well maybe 10 years ago now that I think of it. Swelled up really bad, assume it was at the very least a good fracture. Calf still managed to suck or drink to stay alive (I don't know how it did). Swelling went down and calf grew good and was a real good looking calf in the fall, but I knew I didn't want to chance it and sold it as a feeder.

Ended up that neighbor a couple miles away bought her and fed/pastured her until the next fall (long yearling). Before knowing this, I teased him about having one of those money-losing Herefords in his pastures of Char X and Angus cattle. Says to me, 'I think it's one of yours (thought he was trying to get a rise out of me) - but something's not right with it'. Heifer ate about enough to survive and that was about it. He told me that she never even came close to weighing up with the other yearlings and was surprised when I told him the story about her jaw. He would never had guessed when he bought her as she was lump-free.

I would take the money and run. Not every animal looks as good as a yearling as they do as a calf, and this one has the cards already against her.

I think you did not need to replace her because she is not too much old now.

M5farm said:
This is the calf born at Christmas that got stepped on and had a broke mouth. She just turned 5 months last week. Would any of you consider her as a replacement. I have my opinion but I value yours.

No I wouldn't ever consider keeping an "handi-capped" animal for a replacement. Either eat it or take what you can get but don't set yourself for more problems down the road.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep her. Heck the broke mouth was an accident. Not a birth defect. Looks like she's healed and adjusted very well. When you're thru with her sell her as a packer.

Thanks for the suggestions. I gonna wean her in late June and see how she fairs. When I vac in the fall I will mouth her and see. I really like her but I don't have a problem shipping her if she maintain.

M5farm":watejvzn said:
Her teeth are slightly mis aligned on the right Side but good teeth to gum contact. I've watched her since she was 2 months graze and eat hay and she seems normal. She's got a good mama and she's always been a little butterball.

Hook she's already on grass...hay too..doing good.

TexasBred":1vosir5d said:
M5farm":1vosir5d said:

Hook she's already on grass...hay too..doing good.
Yes she eats hay and grass I rarely see her suck. I mouthed her around 2 months old and the fracture had healed well. I want to check her again around 6 months to make sure she will be able to continue to progress.

Latest posts