Being honest about Thanksgiving

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":3ctd4r35 said:
slick4591":3ctd4r35 said:
The Cowboys game is airing on CBS and we have DISH TV. DISH and CBS are in a contract dispute so we can't get the game on DISH. I think my popularity might have come up a notch when I reminded everyone we have antenna service too. Looks like I'll have a few hanging around a little longer than normal. I should learn to keep my mouth sometimes. :lol:

I switched to Direct TV about a year ago. Best move I ever made. Be thankful for those around you. Loneliness is a terrible thing.

Oh, I'm very thankful. Spent over 10 years single and had some very lonely times. I like what I have now much better.

Bigfoot":1uz3avcl said:
In theory, it's a great holiday, but my family is so jacked up, I just can't enjoy it. I know that sounds petty. I know that sounds immature. Probably a good example of seeing the speck in someone else's eye, and missing the board in my own.

Got a whole generation here in their early twenties. Not taking any classes, and not working anywhere. Just sit in the house all day everyday. I guy here looks to be about 25. He's dating my niece. Seating is at a prime, and his ignorant butt is laying on the couch staring at his phone. Said he had his rifle in the truck, did I mind if he went hunting later?-------Yeah I do.

We got pathological liars, drunks, and thieves. Somebody normally ask to borrow some money. Maybe we can skip that this year. I intentionally left a gate open this morning, but my heifers hadn't found it yet. When they do, that should buy me hour and half of freedom.

How's yaws day going?

Your heifers find that gate?

Last night I got to thinking about what I am thankful for.
First thing that came to my mind is that I am not in second grade and don't have to color a stupid turkey and leaves.
I messed up coloring my leaves and when the teacher saw it she slapped the daylights out of me.
Freedom is a wonderful thing. :banana: :clap: :banana: :clap:

I wish the best to all and especially to little kids.

Bestoutwest":kndao271 said:
Bigfoot":kndao271 said:
In theory, it's a great holiday, but my family is so jacked up, I just can't enjoy it. I know that sounds petty. I know that sounds immature. Probably a good example of seeing the speck in someone else's eye, and missing the board in my own.

Got a whole generation here in their early twenties. Not taking any classes, and not working anywhere. Just sit in the house all day everyday. I guy here looks to be about 25. He's dating my niece. Seating is at a prime, and his ignorant butt is laying on the couch staring at his phone. Said he had his rifle in the truck, did I mind if he went hunting later?-------Yeah I do.

We got pathological liars, drunks, and thieves. Somebody normally ask to borrow some money. Maybe we can skip that this year. I intentionally left a gate open this morning, but my heifers hadn't found it yet. When they do, that should buy me hour and half of freedom.

How's yaws day going?

Your heifers find that gate?

Never did.

Ryder":34yxhmw9 said:
Last night I got to thinking about what I am thankful for.
First thing that came to my mind is that I am not in second grade and don't have to color a stupid turkey and leaves.
I messed up coloring my leaves and when the teacher saw it she slapped the daylights out of me.
Freedom is a wonderful thing. :banana: :clap: :banana: :clap:

I wish the best to all and especially to little kids.

LMAO. That took some thought.

Got up this morning, cool, sunshining and a good south breeze. Fed the heifers and show steers, then got the dog and the gun and drove to where some birds were a month ago. Dog first pointed a group of doves feeding in the rose bushes. Then ended up finding a covey of 8. After hunting the singles and shooting one we headed home.
Me and Dad fried a turkey, and the son in laws helped mom set up all of the tables and chairs. Ate the meal, fed again, and now I'm sitting here type this.
The Lord has blessed me more than I could ever write in a thousand books.

So very thankful this year! Husband is making remarkable progress after his surgery ("remarkable" is subjective; up to 2 years full recovery). Had a wonderful time with my family - no drama, at least not that I was aware of. Thankful my parents are still doing well in their 80's. Turkey & ham were horrible but the sides & dessert, bring 'em on! And I'm thankful my husband only slightly rolled his eyes when I rescued yet another kitten someone had dumped near the ranch, adding to the 20+ we already have at the barn. But zero rats & none of the tractors, machinery or implements have been chewed to pieces/destroyed so it's justified, right?

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Going ok, all things considered, except I pulled/hurt something in my lower back taking a ham out of the oven this morning, and it's gotten progressively worse over the day. Dunno how/why..just twisted the wrong way I guess--it was a pretty small ham too. Can barely walk up the steps now

Thanksgiving is a 4 day eating event here.
Ate too much at my sister's place today..stayed too late last night at my other sister's playing a domino game called Mexican Train. Mexican food supper always precedes Thanksgiving Day in my family--tomorrow will be BBQ Friday, and Saturday is pot luck leftovers day.

Missed my brother of course, but we got the family's 1st great grandchild same day as his funeral. One goes....one will come to take his place is what my grandmother always said.

Drove 200 miles to western Ky, to be with my only living aunt and uncle, their daughter in law and granddaughter. Aunt and uncle are 89, and 90, and have always been extremely active and independent until the last couple years. They are currently in an assisted living home, and uncle has caretakers with him and will soon be too dependent to be at that place. It is heartbreaking to see them so feeble and frail. Uncle didn't even hardly know me, and didn't recognize my wife.
We had a nice dinner and visited a while, then 200 miles back home. Most of the way back, I thought about how they had worked to be in a very well off position, but now you would never know it unless factoring in the care facility that they are in. Makes me realize how blessed we are just to be up and able to get around, and the importance of making the most of our time while we can.

Things like this make me count my blessings. My kids are in high school and college, and they haven't given me a negative item to worry about in years, and then it didn't amount to a hill of beans. My daughter hadn't went boy crazy yet, so no weird boys to bring around. I am truly thankful.

I opted for a friendsgiving over my extended family. My husbands family lives just down the road and they're good people. But, we see them day in and day out and it usually consists of preparing, eating, and everyone taking a nap. I understand food comas but I want some laughter and memories.

My friendsgiving consisted of enjoying an early morning Tom and Jerry's drink at the local watering hole. Followed by checking on some fall calves in pasture on way back. Hacking up a lung, blowing my nose excessively, and thinking about all the wonderful germs I'd be spreading as my achy, fever ridden body prepared to serve 20+ people. But it all turned out alright because everyone in attendance was also sick except for the kids with endless amounts of energy that were jumping on my bed at 11 last night because they were HUNGRY after only devouring all the rolls and nothing else. Time out, where are your parents? Go away. Starve.

I knew I was in bad shape when I turned down some good wine and wished my guests were drunk enough, that I could sneak off to my bedroom and sleep the rest of the evening...that was at 5:30-6.

At work this A.M. and I had warned my employees that I'd be hung over and slow today. No hangover. Just sitting at my desk in a parka, with the heat turned up to 76, wondering how mad my boss would be if I called to tell him I have a serious man cold and need to go home.

i'm happy for this short time on earth to enjoy life, my family, land and animals.

This will be a wonderful Thanksgiving. For the first time in years, there is harmony. A new-daughter in law that everyone likes and is easy to be around. My sons can finally be together as brothers. The grandkids can all play together. We don't have to watch what we say or do for fear of offending. Thanks be to God for this gift of a happy family.

I had a great day. Started off with a nipple down. Skid the rid. Nipple back up and test Bops. Mans there's nothing like working all the holidays a thousand miles from home.

I was expecting some "cousin Eddie" type stories, when I started this thread. My whole family is not disfunctional, only about 25-30%. The rest are fine folks. I would actually say it breaks down along agricultural lines. The ones involved in farming are hard working honest people. The ones that aren't are the dregs.

Mine was the polar opposite. I spent it with a family that was fairly wealthy but had some embezzlement issues from a family member that put them back at square one. I was humbled by how hard they're working to get back on their feet and that they are not bitter as I don't know that I'd be that strong in the same situation.
One of the boys told me how much he missed showing cattle after seeing my kids' calves so we went and picked a calf out of my replacement heifers for him to show. Now the pressure is on as when we made the agreement we were all unaware that the registration is only ten days away and they have to be halter broke and gentle by then. I might not have made the offer if my wife had told me that ahead of time.

I drove a little over 500 miles to the DIL's house on Wednesday. Had a so so dinner on Thursday. Got up this morning and spent the better part of the day driving home. It sure wasn't anything special for me, but the wife hadn't seen the daughter in over a year and the granddaughter in about 18 months. So for her it was great to get to visit. It was good to make her happy but I don't care to drive anywhere for a week or two.

Ky hills":3letmb2t said:
Drove 200 miles to western Ky, to be with my only living aunt and uncle, their daughter in law and granddaughter. Aunt and uncle are 89, and 90, and have always been extremely active and independent until the last couple years. They are currently in an assisted living home, and uncle has caretakers with him and will soon be too dependent to be at that place. It is heartbreaking to see them so feeble and frail. Uncle didn't even hardly know me, and didn't recognize my wife.
We had a nice dinner and visited a while, then 200 miles back home. Most of the way back, I thought about how they had worked to be in a very well off position, but now you would never know it unless factoring in the care facility that they are in. Makes me realize how blessed we are just to be up and able to get around, and the importance of making the most of our time while we can.
400 miles for the old folks!
I think you get really good karma.

Dave":1pre7qen said:
I drove a little over 500 miles to the DIL's house on Wednesday. Had a so so dinner on Thursday. Got up this morning and spent the better part of the day driving home. It sure wasn't anything special for me, but the wife hadn't seen the daughter in over a year and the granddaughter in about 18 months. So for her it was great to get to visit. It was good to make her happy but I don't care to drive anywhere for a week or two.
500 miles! I'd have to stay at home and eat a boloney sandwich.....

Craig Miller":2odapkzp said:
I had a great day. Started off with a nipple down. Skid the rid. Nipple back up and test Bops. Mans there's nothing like working all the holidays a thousand miles from home.
you the roughest neck around.....

Latest posts