homozygous polled hereford bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":3hrvjzin said:
Red Bull Breeder":3hrvjzin said:
Surely can't be any more expensive to DNA test a herford than it is a Limi.

$32 is what I paid, I think, per head. Probably extra for special tests, but don't know. It appears herfdog's is scurred.

Does the AHA dna test? or were do you send it to?

That is what I originally thought because it took three months before I could see a little horn. Than put her in the head gate and they were pretty small and loose so I figured they were scurrs
But in the last couple of months they really took off so I put her in the head gate again and they are 2.5" long firm, has to be horns. Vets coming today to take them off. I will take a picture of them and post later today.

herfdog":qhc1sztp said:

A third party lab does the testing. I believe they changed the protocol recently. The AHA web site contains the instructions. I pulled hair off the tail and sent the hairs in labeled plastic, if I remember correctly.

I am just guessing; but somebody didn't report the horn status so whoever input the data into the AHA left it blank. If I have ever seen that before with the "horn:_______" completely not there, I did not notice it....and it took me a couple of minutes to realize that the page was incomplete.

Brandonm22":2w971vts said:
I am just guessing; but somebody didn't report the horn status so whoever input the data into the AHA left it blank. If I have ever seen that before with the "horn:_______" completely not there, I did not notice it....and it took me a couple of minutes to realize that the page was incomplete.

The horn status line not there because the link takes you to a "guest page". If you log in to the AHA site he is listed as polled, his dam is polled, 3 of her 6 calves are polled. The breeder is listed has "WCF EXPERIMENT STATION".

herfdog":2m3kx5v3 said:

That is what I originally thought because it took three months before I could see a little horn. Than put her in the head gate and they were pretty small and loose so I figured they were scurrs
But in the last couple of months they really took off so I put her in the head gate again and they are 2.5" long firm, has to be horns. Vets coming today to take them off. I will take a picture of them and post later today.

Just DL and IE test done about a month ago, $32.00 Call the AHA they will send you a kit with instructions for pulling the hair sample, the address for the correct lab to send the samples to will be with the instructions, it will depend on what test you have done as to which lab it goes to. As of the middle of last year ther was no DNA test for scurs. You test for the horn/polled gene. If the test says the animal is polled, then they are scurs.

CosgrayHerefords":1symq9dl said:
BR Moler ET and BR DM Channing ET are from a horned cow so they are not homozygous.

CS Boomer 29F is actually a horned bull even though both his dam and sire are polled.

29F is a scurred bull, not horned.

DNA test should be if the calf is Homo polled. Some will come back inconclusive. Testing Limis for homo polled we have to pay a small fee for the kit which is a blood sample card. May have changed but we only have to pay for positive Hetro or Homo polled,

Red Bull Breeder":31rowrw1 said:
DNA test should be if the calf is Homo polled. Some will come back inconclusive. Testing Limis for homo polled we have to pay a small fee for the kit which is a blood sample card. May have changed but we only have to pay for positive Hetro or Homo polled,

I was told the results of the test the AHA as, is supposed to tell whether they Hetro polled, Homo polled or horned, and there is always a fee. With the AHA if you enroll in there " total performance" [ WHTPR ] all you need are cows that are breathing, and you will be paying fee's or dues. If they could find a way to charge you for the ones you've sold or the one's that have died they would do it.

alexfarms":22n4rubg said:
Not to start an argument or anything, BUT.......What happened here?
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 3&9=5D5F52
He is a polled bull from a straight Miles City Line 1 horned pedigree. A mutation must have occured somewhere back in his maternal granddam's pedigree. It is rare but it did occur. It is difficult to tell which animal is a mutation because the cows were dehorned and/or scurred. His mother and father was bought from the West Coast Florida Ag Experiment in Brookesvile, FL by Albert Hough from South Carolina. The mother was known polled and her mother was known polled. The WCF station got the Miles City Line 1's through an exchange with Miles City that was made in the 1960's. The purpose of the exchange was to study the effect of the climate change on cattle that had been selected for in Montana. There are men who claimed there was at least 1 polled bull sold from the Miles City, but no one has been able to figure out which one it was. Part of the Line 1's at Brookesville were exchanged back to Miles City after the experiement was complete and most of the current Miles City Line 1's have some WCF prefixed cattle in their pedigrees. I saw this bull just after Christmas at Gene Henkel's near Fairbury,NE.
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 6&9=505A50
He is a nice bull, dark colored, red legged and 1 red eye. I have a picture of a calf by him that I saw at Gene's that day too. I will try to post it when i get the time.

rocket2222":3di8g12k said:
Brandonm22":3di8g12k said:

The horn status line not there because the link takes you to a "guest page". If you log in to the AHA site he is listed as polled, his dam is polled, 3 of her 6 calves are polled. The breeder is listed has "WCF EXPERIMENT STATION".

Thanks, I had not seen that before.

alexfarms":h01z913c said:
alexfarms":h01z913c said:
Not to start an argument or anything, BUT.......What happened here?
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 3&9=5D5F52
He is a polled bull from a straight Miles City Line 1 horned pedigree. A mutation must have occured somewhere back in his maternal granddam's pedigree. It is rare but it did occur. It is difficult to tell which animal is a mutation because the cows were dehorned and/or scurred. His mother and father was bought from the West Coast Florida Ag Experiment in Brookesvile, FL by Albert Hough from South Carolina. The mother was known polled and her mother was known polled. The WCF station got the Miles City Line 1's through an exchange with Miles City that was made in the 1960's. The purpose of the exchange was to study the effect of the climate change on cattle that had been selected for in Montana. There are men who claimed there was at least 1 polled bull sold from the Miles City, but no one has been able to figure out which one it was. Part of the Line 1's at Brookesville were exchanged back to Miles City after the experiement was complete and most of the current Miles City Line 1's have some WCF prefixed cattle in their pedigrees. I saw this bull just after Christmas at Gene Henkel's near Fairbury,NE.
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 6&9=505A50
He is a nice bull, dark colored, red legged and 1 red eye. I have a picture of a calf by him that I saw at Gene's that day too. I will try to post it when i get the time.

That is very interesting. Do you know anything else about the mutation I can study? Did you speak with Eugene Henkel about this?

CosgrayHerefords":12gotg66 said:
29F is a scurred bull, not horned.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 4&9=5C505D

Here it says he is horned and his registration number indicates this as well.

Umm, not sure whats going on here, I've been using 29F off and on since the late 90's. I've added a partial copy of a older registration paper, showing his "p" prefix reg. number for a Polled/scurred animal. I've also attached a copy from one of the newer semen catalogs from Star Lake where in 2008 he still listed with a P prefix reg. and was listed as scurred on the AHA website. One way or another somebody made a error, either this year by saying he's horned, or the last 13 years saying he's scurred. :oops:

111.jpg

pr124_cs_boomer_29f_thumb.jpg

Latest posts