Homemade supplement question

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
I was reading this blog http://beefproducer.com/blogs-right-supplement-should-make-money-8714 on supplements and Dr Cooke gives a supplement formula with various ingredients. My Question is about the Phosphorus 0-46-0 . Is this fertilizer or another form of phosphorus. If not where could I get the form of phosphorus he is using. I have E-mailed Dr. Cooke a few times, but can't get him.

Walker":1aghc7jg said:
I was reading this blog http://beefproducer.com/blogs-right-supplement-should-make-money-8714 on supplements and Dr Cooke gives a supplement formula with various ingredients. My Question is about the Phosphorus 0-46-0 . Is this fertilizer or another form of phosphorus. If not where could I get the form of phosphorus he is using. I have E-mailed Dr. Cooke a few times, but can't get him.
0-46-0 should be available from any of the TN coops. It is a standard fertilizer used on pastures especially.

in some cases fertilizer ingredients can also be feed additives but I would avoid saying you can use fertilizer a feed stuffs...

TSP, triple superphosphate, is a solid fertilizer produced from phosphate rock and phosphoric acid, which has N-P-K composition 0-46-0. - See more at: http://www.potashcorp.com/overview/glos ... a2uzD.dpuf

urea is a common example but it comes in food grade and fertilizer grade...

I think rock phosphate is interchangeable and non toxic....as well as triple super phosphate.

here in Virginia the land grant university is on a campaign to reduce phosphorous addition to livestock rations to reduce runoff to the Chesapeake Bay....Rationale and testing is showing that sufficient P is normally obtained thru the feed ingredients....

I am old school and was trained to balance calcium - phosphorous - magnesium at a ratio of 2-1-1.....darn near impossible to find in a commercial mix today...

regarding the 4-6 ozs of soy meal....that was 4-6 ozs daily per 1000 lbs of animal under lush conditions...the article said that sometimes the rate was increased to as much as 24 ozs daily per animal unit.

Walker":1185n7ig said:
Do you think it would be all right as a feed additive?
Use a feed grade phosphorus source as Mono-calcium Phosphate or Di-Calcium Phosphate. One of these is almost always used in manufacturing of fees.

The thing that struck me about his 'recipe' was TWO POUNDS of Vitamin A in a total mix only weighing about 125 lb. Seems awfully high to me - but I'm not a nutritionist, and don't play one on TV.

Lucky_P":13xygzfr said:
The thing that struck me about his 'recipe' was TWO POUNDS of Vitamin A in a total mix only weighing about 125 lb. Seems awfully high to me - but I'm not a nutritionist, and don't play one on TV.
It would depend on the concentration of his source of vitamins. Some have been diluted down to very low levels then use higher inclusion rates in hopes of getting a more uniform mix. He should state the IU/lb of each vitamin in his ration.

pricefarm":342nby6t said:
That's a interesting read... Wouldn't think 4-6 oz of soymill would make much of a difference

According to the article, it improves the flora in the rumen. It's those bugs that do the real digesting of grass, breaking it down into absorbable nutrients.

guidoLaMoto":3h9ivir2 said:
pricefarm":3h9ivir2 said:
That's a interesting read... Wouldn't think 4-6 oz of soymill would make much of a difference

According to the article, it improves the flora in the rumen. It's those bugs that do the real digesting of grass, breaking it down into absorbable nutrients.
Roughage does a much better job of this. I'd be more inclined to give them 6 oz. of yeast per head per day to provide a more friendly environment for the growth of rumen microbes.

Latest posts