Homemade BBQ

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
I've never tried making my own before, maybe it was beginners luck but I think it was awesome- coca cola/habanero (except super market only had serrano). I made it to use as a mop to coat some short ribs, but it is great on everything we've tried. My domestic boss can't keep out of it. I'm pretty certain she has sneaked a few spoonfuls in the middle of the night, while up with the baby. It is warm but it wasn't so hot

If anyone is interested:

2 tbsp butter
1 onion, minced
1 red pepper, minced
1 habanero pepper (super market only had serrano with a BTU rating of 23,000 kilojoules..... I mean SHU)
5 garlic cloves, minced (only used 4)
½ cup molasses- (I didn't use. )
1 cup Coca Cola (I increased to 1 1/2 cups.)
½ cup vinegar
1½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 (8oz can) cup tomato paste (I went with tomato juice instead for a thinner sauce)

Instructions

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, red pepper, garlic and habanero to the saucepan and saute until they are tender and beginning to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
Add the molasses, cola, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Let it cook with a low rolling boil for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the saucepan.
Stir in the tomato paste and lower the heat. Let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
Puree in a blender until smooth.

The sauce had plenty of punch for me with the substitution of a lesser pepper, I don't know if I could handle a whole habanero. But I'd at least give it my best shot.

That looks like a respectable recipe. I can sortof imagine the flavor. The garlic and brown sugar really is a good seasoning for sauce like this. You might want to try adding a little mustard in it too as this adds another flavor dimension to the sauce which would only compliment things I think. I'm still curious about your so I may give it a try being its about BBQ season. Thanks for sharing.

One day I was smoking some butts and got to making a sauce from scratch just going with wherever my taste buds directed me. The sauce was so good. Everyone told me I needed to bottle and sell it but for the life of me I couldn't remember how I made it. I tried making some more while it was fresh on my mind and still couldn't replicate it. I wish for the life of me I had written it down as I made it because it was beyond good. So you may want to keep that in mind when you make your sauce cause I would be a billionaire had I only wrote it down. :lol2:

Jogeephus":802co5ln said:
That looks like a respectable recipe. I can sortof imagine the flavor. The garlic and brown sugar really is a good seasoning for sauce like this. You might want to try adding a little mustard in it too as this adds another flavor dimension to the sauce which would only compliment things I think. I'm still curious about your so I may give it a try being its about BBQ season. Thanks for sharing.
:lol: So just when is it NOT BBQ season.... :)

It is always BBQ season at my house.

Making BBQ sauce is fun because you can take a recipe (your's looks good) and tweak it to match your taste that day or the meat your cooking.

1982vett":jfixbn0v said:
Jogeephus":jfixbn0v said:

Well tending a stick burner when its 100F isn't very fun. I'd say today is the first day of BBQ here because I went through a little town south of me to pick up some parts and there were stick burners on both sides of the road selling BBQ for at least a half a mile. Had to be at least 50 stick burners going. It smelled beautiful.

Jogeephus":1zt2wj94 said:
1982vett":1zt2wj94 said:
Jogeephus":1zt2wj94 said:

Well tending a stick burner when its 100F isn't very fun. I'd say today is the first day of BBQ here because I went through a little town south of me to pick up some parts and there were stick burners on both sides of the road selling BBQ for at least a half a mile. Had to be at least 50 stick burners going. It smelled beautiful.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day for me. First below freezing morning and I'll be cranking up for some baby backs.

Latest posts