Home network

Help Support CattleToday:

Scout

Reaction score
I know, I know. A technical question that is not directly related to cattle...

Does anyone else use a network at home? What problems have you had?

Thanks for any input!

Well Scout,

A home network can be Cattle related, How do you think I am typing this message on this website.

Here is my setup.

I have the DSL modem and a Linksys Wireless router in our room which serves as our home office/computer room, our main desktop computer is pluged into router. I have a Cat5 cable running into livivng room where I have another Linksys wireless router. This setup works very well since I can sit in my living room in my recliner in front of the fire (when cold) and surf this site on my laptop which has a built in wireless card. This also works well because both of my sons (ages 18 & 21) are in college and use thier laptops for homework related items, or that what they are suppose to be doing!!!!!!! If I move to another part of the house I can choose which wireless router gives the best signal. I can even take the laptop out to my shop which is about 100 yards behind the house if I want to look up something related to the project that I am working on.

Whether you go wired or wireless I would stick with the same maker of the hardware. Not sure that it actually makes a big difference but I like keeping all the equipment the same. Kinda like using Chevy parts on a Chevy, don't want none of the sorry Dodge or Ford parts on my truck. ;-)

This setup work great for me. Good luck. I'm sure you can do a "Google" search on Home Networkand get more info than you can to read.

Thanks so much for your information.

Let me tell you more:
We are using a DSL connection, as well. But, we've decided to be hard-wired, or use the ethernet connection. On the secondary computer, we're having trouble signing on to ebay, sending mail, etc. Is there a simple setting we're missing somewhere? Have you had a similar problem?

No I don't have the problems.

IF you are getting to the web but are encountering problems on some sites, I'd look at my cookie/internet security settings that could be blocking the sites you described.

we've checked and double checked - there must be something simple that's not allowing the outgoing mail, etc. I thought it could be a cookie problem, too...guess we'll keep asking around.

Thanks for your help!
:)

I had trouble with access when I had the Alexis toolbar. Uninstalled it and no problems accessing the internet.

Have you tried the Networking Wizard? It should be somewhere in the internet connections part of your pc control panel.

We are currently networking at home, as Honey bought a new pc for our use and I don't want the kids using it (due to our distance from town, the kids really need the access for homework...ridiculous, but the schools really aren't set up to facilitate rural students who have tight schedules due to bus rides home and to school - limiting their research time at the library).

Good luck with your networking.

Scout":2s9xfxh4 said:
Thanks so much for your information.
Let me tell you more:
We are using a DSL connection, as well. But, we've decided to be hard-wired, or use the ethernet connection. On the secondary computer, we're having trouble signing on to ebay, sending mail, etc. Is there a simple setting we're missing somewhere? Have you had a similar problem?

Did you run the ISP/modem software on the system your trying to connect?
As far as mail, sounds like you need to reconfigure the STMP and POP3 address. If your ISP changed.

Latest posts