Holstien calf with a lump on his jaw.

Help Support CattleToday:

danj4164

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 5 week old bottle calf that I bought at an auction that has developed a lump about the size of an orange on his lower jaw. It doesn't seem to bother him, he drinks his milk and eats his pellets good. I had a guy that used to work on a dairy farm tell me
it is a gland that is swollen and it will go away. I haven't talked to
the vet about it yet, but thought I would ask you guys about it first. I can post a pitcure if it would help.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dan

The size of an orange...that's a pretty good sized lump.

Lumps on jaws can be caused by a number of things...from a spider bite to a pretty bad illness. And, since it came from the sale barn, you really have no way of finding out any info about the calf. Call the vet...get his take on it. You'll very likely have to treat it with something, and the vet can give it/sell it to you right there.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice

This calf still eats good, in fact it eats better than the other ones.
It eats a couple hand fulls of pellets in the am. and in the pm.

if twoard the rear of the jawbone or mid jaw it might be a blocked salivary gland (if no temp) or a blown up lymph node (if temp is observed)....what is it's temp? is it hard or sort of soft? does it flinch when you squeeze it (gently) ?

If he isn;t sick and it doesn;t bother him, just leave it alone.

dun

We took the calf to the vet on Friday, he cut the lump open and drained it. He gave the calf some antibiotic for the infection and told us the rest of the bump should go away in a couple weeks.
Thanks for the advice.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

I know the relief you feel...whew! And good for you!

Alice

Latest posts