Hole in cow's stomach not cruelty: researcher

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Edmonton Sun News
Sunday November 5, 2006

Hole in cow's stomach not cruelty: researcher

BRANDON, Man. (CP) -- Researchers who've cut gaping holes into cattle on display at a Manitoba agricultural exhibition are denying accusations of animal cruelty levelled by an animal rights group.

An eight-year old Jersey cow named Darth on display Friday at an agricultural exhibition in Brandon had a hole in the side of its stomach big enough to stick an adult's arm up to the shoulder.

The hole-capped by a rubbery plug-allow researchers to insert nutrients into the animal's stomach and monitor its digestive system.

"It's something quite unique," said Terri Garner, a ruminant research technician with the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Agriculture.

It's also cruel, said director with the Winnepeg Humane Society. "This is animal abuse masking as education and I think it's seriously disturbing," said John Youngman.

Garner denied it's inhumane. "The holes allow us to do this kind of research without hurting the animal."

I was involed in the slow process of putting a cannula in a holstein while I was in college.

Fistulated cows are worth their weight in gold on a research dairy farm. We were able to monitor how the "bugs" broke different feeds down and which feeds took longer to digest.

It is not done all at once. each layer is cut and allowed to heal before the next is cut. I did not see any ill effects from the process. The cow milked well and did not go off feed.

Latest posts