Hogs!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
They must have been moving last night. Got a phone call this a.m. from my BIL. He ran my traps. There's an even dozen. Hogs n shoats. Not a record for me but pretty darn good. It only tells me that the situation is worse than I had anticipated. Caught these on one of my the neighbor's place.

If I came down to Texas, would you let me shoot a couple of them? I don't think the meat would be all that good, but I think that they would be fun to shoot. :D

Toby L.":ng28skqr said:
If I came down to Texas, would you let me shoot a couple of them? I don't think the meat would be all that good, but I think that they would be fun to shoot. :D

Most ranchers with hog problems are looking to get rid of them. But there is now a rift between the Texasboars website and ranchers/farmers. The site has evolved a few times and now they condone selling wild hogs to "game preserves". This is how the whole problem started because of imports of Russain Boar. I expressed objection and was banned from the site after all these years.

Here are some pics I posted for you and LazyA from previous times. These are over at Ranchers. I don't have current pics but will get some - eventually. My niece rode down to the holding pen yesterday and took several pics of the baby pigs and sows. Maybe she'll send some of those pics to me. I didn't have my camera.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144
http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

Toby L.":ekfolrio said:
All the " wild" hog I have eaten has been awesome! Why would you think they might not taste good?

Kingfisher":m5mtx7oj said:
Toby L.":m5mtx7oj said:
All the " wild" hog I have eaten has been awesome! Why would you think they might not taste good?

:D We smoked two for Thanksgiving a couple of years back. SIL cooked a turkey because she didn't think the kids would eat the hogs. No one touched the turkey. They were calling their neighbors over, "You gotta come try this!"

backhoeboogie,

Man those hogs in the second pics look healthy. It looks like they were living high on the hog...pardon the pun :D

I was clicking through your pics and noticed your hay cradle. Did you build it? How do you like how it works? If you built it what types of materials did you use and have you had any issues with cows shoving it around when it gets low on hay?

Toby L.":oo0fv4vu said:

Many will say that there is no better tasting pork than one that fed on acorns just don't waste your time cleaning an old boar unless you are lucky at games of chance.

HOSS":3vkt8me4 said:
backhoeboogie,

Man those hogs in the second pics look healthy. It looks like they were living high on the hog...pardon the pun :D

I was clicking through your pics and noticed your hay cradle. Did you build it? How do you like how it works? If you built it what types of materials did you use and have you had any issues with cows shoving it around when it gets low on hay?

Hoss those cradles are built out of old trampoline frames. We have long threads in here on the subject. I now have ten and love them.

I just figured that they would be tougher then domestic hogs. Being that there running around all the time.
I might be doing some pipeline work around the Waco area, I think he said Crawford, but it was hard for me to hear at the time because of the equipment running. I was suppose to get a phone call about it by now, I tried calling the foreman a couple of times, but he didn't answer. They were suppose to kick off in the middle of Feb. And I would be working on the backfill crew, starting 2 weeks after that. I'll give him an other call today or tomorrow to see what's going on. I'll bring my rifle down with me, you never know, I might get a day off.
Other wise I may be down around Tallahassee Fl. starting in may. That line is heading south along the coast 180 miles. It sounds like it could take up to a year and a half. Bad time of year for a northern boy to work in the heat of Florida, but I suppose I'll get used to it. ;-)

backhoeboogie":215ho2tf said:
HOSS":215ho2tf said:
backhoeboogie,

Hoss those cradles are built out of old trampoline frames. We have long threads in here on the subject. I now have ten and love them.

Thanks bhb I'll check it out.

Toby L.":3bxsqmsa said:
I just figured that they would be tougher then domestic hogs. Being that there running around all the time.
I might be doing some pipeline work around the Waco area, I think he said Crawford, but it was hard for me to hear at the time because of the equipment running. I was suppose to get a phone call about it by now, I tried calling the foreman a couple of times, but he didn't answer. They were suppose to kick off in the middle of Feb. And I would be working on the backfill crew, starting 2 weeks after that. I'll give him an other call today or tomorrow to see what's going on. I'll bring my rifle down with me, you never know, I might get a day off.
Other wise I may be down around Tallahassee Fl. starting in may. That line is heading south along the coast 180 miles. It sounds like it could take up to a year and a half. Bad time of year for a northern boy to work in the heat of Florida, but I suppose I'll get used to it. ;-)

The hogs are not game animals. You can hunt them year round. You're going to have a hard time seeing them in daylight tho. When we have long days in June, I have seen them at dusk. Otherwise, you need a soft light over a baited hole to have decent results (and to ensure you don't shoot the wrong thing). If you are shooting them, the vitals (heart and lung) are forward on them. Just in front of the front shoulder and leg. They have an armored casing sort of. If you shoot one behind the front shoulder (as you would a deer) you won't take it. There used to be a link in Texas Boars way back when that showed the "anatomy of a hog." If you can google those words, you may have some illustration of the vital areas.

Kill a bunch of them!!!!!!! There are several folks on this board from down around the Waco area. I am somewhere around 110 miles north of there.

Sounds like it would be easier to wait until there caught up in the traps. Give me a call the next time you have a bunch of them in traps, and I'll come down and shoot them. :D :D

That works. I have a holding pen with a side alley. It sure makes it nice for processing. There is a remote guilotine gate to sort with. Pick the one you want and cut the rest back in to the main pen. Works great for a lot of things.

You'll also see where the term "riding piggy back" comes from. Shoats will actually get onto the back of a hog and ride around the perimiter trying to jump the pen walls. 6 foot walls won't hold them. You have to have a top around the perimiter. They're smart critters. You need to be just a bit smarter to keep them.

It looks like that Texas job is a bust. For now anyway. I guess their still waiting for the permits, and the foreman that I was going to work for decided to stay home because there not going to pay him as much as he wanted. Looks like I'm stuck in Minnesota for a while.

backhoeboogie":gikgc39l said:
Toby L.":gikgc39l said:

The hogs are not game animals. You can hunt them year round. You're going to have a hard time seeing them in daylight tho. When we have long days in June, I have seen them at dusk. Otherwise, you need a soft light over a baited hole to have decent results (and to ensure you don't shoot the wrong thing). If you are shooting them, the vitals (heart and lung) are forward on them. Just in front of the front shoulder and leg. They have an armored casing sort of. If you shoot one behind the front shoulder (as you would a deer) you won't take it. There used to be a link in Texas Boars way back when that showed the "anatomy of a hog." If you can google those words, you may have some illustration of the vital areas.

Kill a bunch of them!!!!!!! There are several folks on this board from down around the Waco area. I am somewhere around 110 miles north of there.

Boogie that's were the old 45-70 comes in hit him and they go down. I can tell you how to make them avoid your place like the plauge.

I used to love hog hunting. Even took my daughter on quite a few stalks hunts in the swamps when she was 5 yo. But then I saw something thay were eating that changed my mind forever. Now I will only eat them if they have been fed out or are hitting a feeder hard. With that said I prefer to raise my own. Just took 2 in to the butcher and got back 320 lbs of cut and wrapped goodness. And I know what they were eating :shock:

Well.....

they say if you ever wanna dispose of a "carcass"... to dump it in with the hogs!!

I wouldn't know, and don't WANNA know!!!

It would be hard to score which ate the most nasty food,a hog or a chicken.And they will both eat each other.
Probably if I let,where it came from and what it eats,bother me there's a lot of vegies and meat I wouldn't eat. :lol:

Cal

Latest posts