Mineral for Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Is there a mineral I should be feeding my hogs? Can't really find a solid answer on the Internet. I have one that has a syndrome where every once in a while his back legs give out and he dips and yelps, but it said this could be caused by stress or change in diet.

BK9954":pgfryt3d said:
Is there a mineral I should be feeding my hogs? Can't really find a solid answer on the Internet. I have one that has a syndrome where every once in a while his back legs give out and he dips and yelps, but it said this could be caused by stress or change in diet.

I am no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.. Some people use general livestock minerals and mix it in the pigs feed most popular is corn mineral and soy meal... If I were to guess id say maybe a potassium deficiency may be causing it just like when we have cramps. I never fed any minerals as I always believed what they were lacking they got it from the dirt. When we raised feeders in the hog houses and fed corn and commercial feeds I think the commercial feeds had minerals in it but not sure. Check out these links

http://www.thepigsite.com/diseaseinfo/59/leg-weakness/

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G2322

How big is the pig with the leg problem?

Go to a local feed Mill and ask for a mineral for pigs, then mix it at rate with any meal. Probably be a jbs product. Your main problems will come from vit. and trace mineral diffenences.

BK9954":2zhha8qd said:

Could be something as simple as sunburn as well. We generally buy yorks for our 4H pigs and these pigs have never seen the outside of a building. We have one every year that gets burned and acts the same as your describing for a short period of time.

sim.-ang.king":gzpessmp said:
How big is the pig with the leg problem?

Go to a local feed Mill and ask for a mineral for pigs, then mix it at rate with any meal. Probably be a jbs product. Your main problems will come from vit. and trace mineral diffenences.
Gonna be about the only place I can think of that would have one for pigs. Will be a highly concentrated mineral that only requires 4-5 lbs. for a ton of feed and is really quite inexpensive ($.90 per lb. )unless the mill decides to screw you over.

Latest posts