Baiting hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Many years ago my Grandfather used something he called "shorts" to make slop to feed his hogs. He would take table scraps, spoiled milk (clabber), etc mixed with "shorts" to make the feed for the hogs. The hogs loved it and did really well on it. I tried to buy some shorts at my local feed store and was told they haven't carried that stuff in 30 years. Don't know what it's made from (looks like corn meal with other grains).

Ok, so where this is heading is I have wild hogs on my place and they are ruining my hay fields and orchards. I am just about ready to launch an all out assault on the baster… and want to lure them in as close to my blind as possible. Anyone have any ideas on what will attract them? By the way, they are trap wary now having caught 13 of the little darlings over the past couple of years.

just plain old corn works..if the coons are eating too much of it, soak it in diesel...

Shorts is wheat millings. On baiting the hogs just like they have become trap wise, they will do the same with the bait, after shooting a couple they will leave the location and find another food source.

Burnt motor oil on a stump attracts them. Sour some corn until it gets good and ripe. Fish heads and guts work good too, we use mullet.

If you can get a few more trap caught build a pen to keep them in and set the trap next to the pen. I have good success with that method. Have caught the same hogs twice doing it. Had a mishap in transferring from trap to pen where six got away. Caught them again the next night same place same trap.

LRTX1":2815b3s7 said:
Burnt motor oil on a stump attracts them. Sour some corn until it gets good and ripe. Fish heads and guts work good too, we use mullet.

If you can get a few more trap caught build a pen to keep them in and set the trap next to the pen. I have good success with that method. Have caught the same hogs twice doing it. Had a mishap in transferring from trap to pen where six got away. Caught them again the next night same place same trap.
I like the idea of a pen beside the trap. Do you use a small trap or one made out of wire panels?

lavacarancher":krzma4rj said:
Many years ago my Grandfather used something he called "shorts" to make slop to feed his hogs. He would take table scraps, spoiled milk (clabber), etc mixed with "shorts" to make the feed for the hogs. The hogs loved it and did really well on it. I tried to buy some shorts at my local feed store and was told they haven't carried that stuff in 30 years. Don't know what it's made from (looks like corn meal with other grains).

Ok, so where this is heading is I have wild hogs on my place and they are ruining my hay fields and orchards. I am just about ready to launch an all out assault on the baster… and want to lure them in as close to my blind as possible. Anyone have any ideas on what will attract them? By the way, they are trap wary now having caught 13 of the little darlings over the past couple of years.

Lava check for "Wheat Bran" or "Wheat Midds"......basically little more than "shorts".

Put your corn in a barrel and cover with water and let it sour. Cook off the good stuff then take the waste beer and pour on the ground but also take a post hole digger and dig some holes and fill with the corn. Doing this will make them work for the holed corn and they will linger around rooting longer and this will increase your chance of shooting one while in the blind.

Jogeephus":1yby2cz8 said:
Put your corn in a barrel and cover with water and let it sour. Cook off the good stuff then take the waste beer and pour on the ground but also take a post hole digger and dig some holes and fill with the corn. Doing this will make them work for the holed corn and they will linger around rooting longer and this will increase your chance of shooting one while in the blind.
What do you mean cook it off?

jedstivers":2h0npadf said:
Jogeephus":2h0npadf said:

And is that legal? Maybe the hog hunter exemption?

john250":1mvrq1wt said:
jedstivers":1mvrq1wt said:
Jogeephus":1mvrq1wt said:

And is that legal? Maybe the hog hunter exemption?

I could be wrong, but I think you can make all of it you want legally. It's when you sell it that you get in trouble.

Rafter S":cg6gsm3l said:
I could be wrong, but I think you can make all of it you want legally. It's when you sell it that you get in trouble.

You are mistaken. If you put a flame to the wine/beer then you have broken the law. Beer and wine you can make to a certain point and you can buy all the pot you want in some states as long as its taxed. Taxation makes it safe. Makes it good for you. Makes it where it cures all your ailments and makes you see the beauty of the rainbow. The first two times they catch you doing it they will tax you around $6 for each quart of beer your drums hold. The third time they catch you they send you to college to get an education. That's why if or when I ever go to make any I'll go to New Zealand or South Africa or one of those communist countries in the old Soviet Block where its legal and it won't make you blind if its not taxed like it will here. I care about my health and my eyesight and I'm pleased they share my concern.

kenny thomas":39okd3r8 said:
LRTX1":39okd3r8 said:

I like the idea of a pen beside the trap. Do you use a small trap or one made out of wire panels?

I've done both. Had the best luck with the small trap and a guillotine door. But have used 3 panels wired together to make a large circle and a push door. Used t post to anchor it.

I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet as my pigs have all moved down to the irrigated stuff at the bottom of the hill but I've been told that the piglet in distress call on the foxpro system will bring in every adult pig within earshot. I'm so giddy just thinking about it that I almost miss having a few pigs around.

I think you are wasting your time with single traps because they get trap wise pretty fast and if you don't catch the whole sounder you haven't put a dent in the population. Best thing I've seen are those large traps marketed by folks like Jagerpro with the automated door you can set off with your cell phone. Camera feeds also go to your phone off motion detectors so you can watch and see when they all enter the trap. The setup is about $2000 but if you have crop damage from hogs its pretty cheap especially if your time is worth something.

Jo while I agree those big auto traps are the way to go, it can be done the way I suggested earlier. I have caught in the 30's in a couple weeks using the first caughts as "decoys". Seems the others come in and back to a trap easier if there are some pigs around.

Latest posts