Speaking of hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
There was a program on TV the other day where some morons were catching them with dogs and hog tieing them and hauling them away live. One they had to kill and they felt bad about it. So what's the deala? Why not just make them pork right there instead of putting themselves at disk by tryibg to tie them up and hauling them away? Which begs the question, what do they do with them, turn them loose?

They trap them here. They haul them off to their own feed lot. Don't know how long they feed. They claim it makes the meat better. I can tell you that after they have been fed out they don't look like Ferrel hogs any more. That is, when they feed out the young ones.

I can tell you that no matter how young or old, they never fatten up like a domestic. The meats pretty good when fed out but its still darker than domestic too

The problem with wild hogs is that the boar meat is unedible like it stands. Way to much musk or whatever in it. Even the sows do not taste great but with the right bbqing they could be tolerable. If you pen them and cut the boars and feed them both lots of nice corn etc. for about 6 weeks, you got the other white meat. Mmmmm good.

I quit eating wild hogs after seeing what they were eating one day. At least with my domestics they only eat what I give em

A guy here trapped one, fed it for about 60 days and butchered it. He cooked some of the meat fresh and packaged the rest & froze it.

He opened one of the packages to thaw, and the meat had some sort of worm or fluke in it. It tried to escape the package when it started getting cold. Made the guy ill thinking that he ate the critters.

He threw the meat out and told us that eating wild hog was a once in a lifetime experience. It was the first and last time for him.

We catch them with dogs all the time ... bring them home and feed them for a few weeks and butcher them ....they will not fatten .. you can feed them 2 tons but it won't change em ... they are good eating ...and no nastier than chicken .....the feeding is to clean them out ...

They will put plenty of tallow on just can't build muscle.... but I'm talkin rooters.. every now and then we catch one that has been crossed with a domestic hog they will grow off. My grand pa used to run hogs in the woods like people run cows...even when he stopped he would turn sows loose to breed with the rooters.

A guy I know several miles away from me caught around 25 wild hogs last year. I asked him about eating some of them because I smoke a lot of pork throughout the year. He sent samples off on all of them and told me that every single one tested positive for TB.

Circle H Ranch

The people here that catch them normally sell them to a hunting plantation for pay hunts. They get about $100 apiece for them. You can get much more for a big one. I think hogzilla fetched $300 but it wasn't wild.

dun":2jk7ziby said:
Which begs the question, what do they do with them, turn them loose?

Some do. They caught a bunch of folks selling them to an illegal "game preserve". The farmer across the road set up 3 game cams and caught it all. Turned them in. I wished he would have tarred and feathered them first.

The feed conversion rate is not good for wild ones. But if you can catch one about 200 pounds already, hog tie it, castrate it, worm it, and put it on feed for 65 days or so, you have yourself some really good eating.

I hauled 73 of them (trapped) to a licensed facility. The average price was $31.80 each. Some had been held in the pen for over two weeks.

Lately I have just been calling folks when I get one in a trap and let them come get 'em.

I put a 150 pounder into summer sausage from a local game processor. It was expensive but it was also great eating. This was one that had been wormed and fed for a while.

You can sell them in some of the sale barns ...they call them bow hogs when they come in the ring and the ally guys are all on the fence ... I know a guy who sells them to be shipped over seas ....

john250":1xz72ba4 said:
Dam*, they've made it up to Indiana.

John, I'm in central VA and I've heard several people say they've got wild hogs in Culpeper, about 35 miles north of us.

Added a quote from VA Cooperative Extension:
To hunt feral hogs, a hunter must have a hunting license and landowner permission. There is no closed season or daily bag limit on feral hogs, although hunting is not lawful on Sunday.

Latest posts