Baiting hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

We have PVC pipes on a chain at our stands.. If i get out to one of them i'll post a picture but i bet if you google it you'd find what i'm talking about. Its just a big pipe with small holes drilled in it. The pipe has screw on ends and one end has a chain that is tied to a Tpost by a ring. You fill it with corn, close it up and wait. The pigs find it and roll it around to get the corn. It takes hours of rolling to get all the corn out and they will spend hours rolling it. We even have a couple with false areas full of rocks so that it always sounds like there is corn in them. We get them to these pipes and then cage around them with a one way door. Sometimes we'll get over 10 at one time. The pipe keeps them from just devouring the corn in one night and it keeps coons from eating it. The coons can still eat it, it just takes them forever and the pipe can be to heavy for them to move to dispense more out..

LRTX1":1gzzb28v said:
Jo while I agree those big auto traps are the way to go, it can be done the way I suggested earlier. I have caught in the 30's in a couple weeks using the first caughts as "decoys". Seems the others come in and back to a trap easier if there are some pigs around.

What you say makes sense.

Its a waist of time to attempt to lure them like that to eradicate them. I would suggest trying a corral trap. Bait it for a couple weeks then catch the whole group. You may have to shoot one or two wise old hogs but you can usually catch the majority.

LRTX1":wbhlzlcp said:
Jo while I agree those big auto traps are the way to go, it can be done the way I suggested earlier. I have caught in the 30's in a couple weeks using the first caughts as "decoys". Seems the others come in and back to a trap easier if there are some pigs around.

You are absolutely correct. 43 in one week.

Pen traps only get shoats and pigs. Hogs jump 6 foot walls. Shoats will ride one the back of others and crippled hogs. Absolutely defines where the term riding "piggy back" comes from.

If all you have are youngsters, go with pens traps.

Stake a panel out. Corn in both sides of it. Then pull that panel and slide a trap in.

An old timer near Paluxy told me all the hogs on his place were "trap smart". He couldn't catch them. I went over and took out 49 over the past month.

Everyone is going to tell you how smart hogs are. You simply need to be a little bit smarter.

backhoeboogie":11g380qw said:
Everyone is going to tell you how smart hogs are. You simply need to be a little bit smarter.

I refer to that as the 10% rule. You only have to be 10% smarter than what your working with.

We've never had wild hogs on our place except for an occasional one passing thru and we've killed them. Had a neighbor about 5 miles tell me they had moved on on his place and then we found some signs this past weekend . We put some cameras out to see how many and we will try and get rid of them before they multiply. Btw I gave some pnut butter to a guy that's having a problem on his place and has trapped about 15 in the last week with it.

I dig a post hole a couple feet deep and fill full of corn and pour a pkg of grape jello and pour in a 2 liter bottle of big red then push dirt in over it
Scatter some loose corn around
They'll try and root the corn mixture out of the hole
I sit in the blind and shoot them with my bow and it doesn't spook them off.

Latest posts