Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
The feral hogs are back. I'll be setting traps tomorrow. Doggone it! I hadn't seen any sign for a couple of months. Now I have a hole rooted up in the coastal field on the river bottom.

backhoeboogie":71ms8ky3 said:
The feral hogs are back. I'll be setting traps tomorrow. Doggone it! I hadn't seen any sign for a couple of months. Now I have a hole rooted up in the coastal field on the river bottom.

Don't worry when finish trapping this bunch there friends will come back to visit shortly.

mnmtranching":3oo8lhrx said:
What kind of trap do you use for hogs. :?: :)

I use box traps. They are about 40 to 42 inches tall and about that wide. They are 5 feet long. A guilotine gate works best for me. The traps have tops and bottoms and the bottoms are covered in about 2 inches of dirt. They are baited with corn soaked in diesel. If I don't soak it in diesel I catch deer and coons.

Right now my problems is the cows. I have them in that pasture. Twice last year a heifer calf got in one trap.

Caustic Burno":lqd3ydhd said:
mnmtranching":lqd3ydhd said:
Trapping hogs sounds like great sport. :D

As long as you don't get bit.

Don't go noodling for them like you do catfish and you'll be okay.

Trapping hogs was kind of new at first. It gets old fast. Mostly I get pigs and shoats. Occasionally I get the big boars with cutter teeth and they are ugly and stink.

When you put a dozen shoats in the pen all at once, they bounce off the walls and top like basketballs. After they have bounced off of the walls for three days, they settle down.

They are smart critters. They will run and jump onto the back of a big hog and try to jump out of the pen. I guess that is where the term "piggy back" was derived from.

Caustic Burno":1ca914jv said:
mnmtranching":1ca914jv said:

If you keep trying to pet them hogs,your not going to have any fingers to type with.. :D

WORANCH":3ui4vxn8 said:
Caustic Burno":3ui4vxn8 said:
mnmtranching":3ui4vxn8 said:

If you keep trying to pet them hogs,your not going to have any fingers to type with.. :D

I tried to pet some last night with a model 12 they came through the front yard looked like Boggie had been working here with his backhoe.

Do Y'all treat them hogs humanly, and relocate them in a nice environment and habitat :?: :roll: ;-) :cboy:

mnmtranching":2nmlfxdo said:
Do Y'all treat them hogs humanly, and relocate them in a nice environment and habitat :?: :roll: ;-) :cboy:

There is a guy around Meridian, Granbury, Cleburne that allows you to release the one's you catch.

Against the law to transport live feral hogs across the county line here.

Just moving them from one farm to another could get complicated if you got caught. You'd have to prove where they came from and where they're going.

Game and Fish frown on moving them at all while alive.

MikeC":2n7c2mcl said:

Just moving them from one farm to another could get complicated if you got caught. You'd have to prove where they came from and where they're going.

I was referring to Mr. Boogie's hog farm, they would have a good home and fresh coastal to eat.

Caustic Burno":2j1rhme0 said:
MikeC":2j1rhme0 said:

I was referring to Mr. Boogie's hog farm, they would have a good home and fresh coastal to eat.

I got you. :lol:

My dad's dog, an american pit, got in one of his traps with a boar by accident last weekend and the boar tore her throat out. Dad said it happened in a heartbeat and he couldn't shoot the hog fast enough to keep it off her. Hogs are nasty - don't think your safe on the outside of a trap with one in it. They can get out of and break out of things you wouldn't think they could.

I need to get a few pictures from my daughter. She wanted to build a trap for hogs. Her design is from the A&M website, a circular type that is moveable. So we bought some t-posts and cattle panels. I cut up some scrap oak beams from an old barn and she used these with some plywood to make a guillotine door, complete with the spring from a screen door to help the door close.

Not in my wildest dreams did I ever suspect her to catch a hog, much less than the seven she had in that trap Saturday morning. One huge sow with four piglets and two boars.

She even got the neighbor involved and now he's gonna build a similar trap. We do have a few in the area.

Jack

What would happen if you were to take a bunch of those feral hogs to the sale barn. :idea: :?: :shock: :cboy:

Latest posts