Hog Traps

Help Support CattleToday:

mpetty

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations on hog traps. I prefer the corral type so that I can catch the entire herd. What have y'all found that work well?

Thanks for the help!

I prefer a rectangle, box trap like a 5x5x16 with a spring door. You can catch just as many as the corral trap, its portable, and easier to load out of.

If I use a corral trap it's a figure 6 (or 9) trap.

My only hard rules are never use a trap with a floor or foot plate and never set the trigger the first night.

I prefer the corral type myself. I don't ever load anything out of one anyway. Lots of traps to choose from today mostly depends on how much you want to spend.

I have not found any. Mine are home made. The decent ones online are priced crazy and the reasonably priced ones are junk.

One day I would like to a trap I can trigger remotely. They are still a little high right now. Ill wait a couple years so they can work the kinks out and get a little cheaper.

mpetty said:
Looking for some recommendations on hog traps. I prefer the corral type so that I can catch the entire herd. What have y'all found that work well?

Thanks for the help!

Here you go.

The state biologists neighbor uses one just like it with the cell phone trip.
It takes a pretty thick checkbook.

This sounder was caught in the drop type.

Yeah that's what I'm finding, that these traps online are pretty expensive. Trying to find a more affordable option.

The old t-post panel design with guillotine door work well.
You have to wire the door up and put a game camera until you get the sounder going in. Once you get them all going in set it.

https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/feralhogs/files/2010/05/CorralTraps.pdf

If you use the figure 6 trap you dont need a door... just tpost and pannel. Its like a perch trap. They can push in but not out. Plus, as many as you can fit can push in. With the guitine once its shut... its shut.

Rig up water in it and you will clean out the whole herd. The best bait to catch hogs is other hogs.

You can buy just the gate and build the rest. The cameras are the most expensive part of it.
The round traps are kind of a pain. AGF has one but don't use it very often.

Brute 23 said:
If you use the figure 6 trap you dont need a door... just tpost and pannel. Its like a perch trap. They can push in but not out. Plus, as many as you can fit can push in. With the guitine once its shut... its shut.

Rig up water in it and you will clean out the whole herd. The best bait to catch hogs is other hogs.

Depends on where you're at, water is not a draw. I have built the perch style and they were not as effective on trap wise hogs. I have had the best luck with the guillotine door setup. You can build one out of plywood pretty cheap.
The trick is to bait the trap with the door wired up. Put a game camera on it and never set the door until the whole sounder is going in. Secondly put the trip at the back like an old tire with a rope they have to push around, that stops the little fast ones from tripping the trap before they all get in.
My favorite bait is old produce from the local market along with strawberry flavor corn. Use unsweetened koolaid pack to a bucket of corn.
I keep them at bay, trap about 80 a year. Can't win this fight take one sounder out another moves in.
Deer hunters have made a healthier hog as well with the supplement feeding more healthy pigs are born and survive.

The water is not the bait... the hogs are. The water is to keep the hogs alive for a week or more while more keep coming in.

Set up a pen that you can keep a couple live hogs in and you will catch more than you can imagine. Especially when sows start coming in heat. They will have the outside wore out. They will push their way in.

At one point I had a hog at I kept in a pen for months and fed that I would purposely turn out to mix with the wild hogs... then I would set my big trap and let him bring them to me.

This was my largest trap back in the day. It used a panel push door with a feeder and water in it. I kept pigs in it all the time. You would just show up at random and have an extra 5, 10, 15 hogs. It was not uncommon to have 20 or 30 hogs in it at once. The outside was worse out from other pigs circling it until they found that notch you can start to see in the bottom left. Once they went in it to the smaller section there was a doggy door, out of pannel, they would push thru to go in to the big part of the pen.

In those days it was not uncommon for us to trap over 1000 hogs a year. It was a significant part of our spending money in high school.

0043.jpg

Our hogs are different Brute the big breeding boars run by themselves here.
The sounder will have a couple sows and their off spring. Very rare to trap a big boar with the sounder even to get a picture of one. You catch some in the perch With abundance of food here along with pressure these hogs have a PhD in traps. It was Dr Billy Higginbotham TAMU that taught me successful strategies for hog management there is no one approach or trap. They self educate very rapidly.

The only way to catch those solo big boars... is with a sow in heat. They get real stupid... as do we all. :D If they aren't in the trap... you will pop them with a rifle while they are circling the outside of the trap.

When you catch the sounder pop all the little pigs with a .22 and get them off the biggest sow, or couple of sows. I think getting the pigs off probably makes them cycle just like pulling calves but not sure about that. You'll show up and have two boars in the pen fighting and one on the outside trying to fight the fence to get in on the action. ;-)

When the pig hunts were real popular and people were fencing off land to hold hogs and sell hunts the biggest amount of damage done to the fence was not from the hogs on the inside. It was from the single boars on the outside tearing up the fence trying to get to the sows in heat on the inside. Its just like bulls. You get one on the inside and one on the outside and they will destroy a fence. I had some friend that had a place. Every day they would drive the perimeter shooting boars that were fighting.

Using pigs to catch pigs is a tried and true proven method that just flat out works based off behavior no matter if its wet, dry, deer season, not season, trap smart, not trap smart... it works. It not only works with hogs... it works with cattle, people, and most other animals. :)

Where people get screwed up trapping hogs is they focus too much on the trap when they should focus more on the behavior of the animal. Humans have been trapping animals for as long as they have been on this earth using what ever materials nature provided.

This is the smallest box trap that I have used that is effective. It's 6x10 with no bottom. Around here they do not like a trap at all that has a wire floor.

Latest posts