Boar Hog

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve said:
We have to buy our hogs in MN. :( The market has become saturated, with sales barns as low as $15/cwt. One guy was calling around last week trying to wholesale 280# white butcher hogs for $25 a head.

It has gotten so bad that the Tennessee Highway Patrol (our version of state police) are now carefully watching for people bringing hogs into the state without all the documentation and health papers. It would be a great time to stock up on pork if you could find a processor that has an opening or be able to purchase more freezers which you can't!

sstterry said:
Stocker Steve said:
We have to buy our hogs in MN. :( The market has become saturated, with sales barns as low as $15/cwt. One guy was calling around last week trying to wholesale 280# white butcher hogs for $25 a head.

It has gotten so bad that the Tennessee Highway Patrol (our version of state police) are now carefully watching for people bringing hogs into the state without all the documentation and health papers. It would be a great time to stock up on pork if you could find a processor that has an opening or be able to purchase more freezers which you can't!

One of the few local slaughter/butcher plants left is looking for butchers, they are so busy right now. I got called and ask if I was interested being a journeyman butcher. I had to tell them that ship had sailed years ago.
Slinging quarters is not happening anymore.
Most of the small processors folded here years ago due to regulations of needing a USDA inspection on private sale. That used be a booming business.

Some locals got busted recently for cutting up hogs in uninspected deer processing shops and then selling the pork. It is OK to print money but not OK to cut meat. The USDA wants us to compost the meat and then sign up for a hand out.

I know a guy who was in one of the shops. They had hired several distant learning high school kids to trim and grind. Don't think you can get class credit for that?

The guys have to sell the whole LIVE hog, then charge to do the processing.....not "sell the meat". And if the "owners" of the hogs come and help, then they can get around the uninspected processing shop....

Stupid to not let people get meat in their freezers.... another one of the regulations that will starve the masses and then be able to keep them under control.

Those distant learning high school kids will learn something more valuable by working in that shop than they will in front of a cotton pickin remote classroom video....

Latest posts