Bar Hog

Help Support CattleToday:

Doesn't that just hack you off - someone took the time to catch that sob and casterate him only to let him go and continue damaging everything!

It could also be an escapee.... there was a pig that got loose here and for whatever reason it didn't hang around with the other hogs at the farm... it was seen several times in the woods and finally it got shot that fall in an oak grove....
Anyone that purposely catches and castrates then turns one back out is pretty low.... and that one looks like it is all "domestic" pig.... might've gotten out of someones pen they were fattening for butcher...

That is definitely a wild hog. It was/ is common for people to cut hogs and turn them back out to butcher later, especially in ETX.
Yep. Our county was open range when I was young (before 1970) and there were lots of cut rooters on the open range forest. 100s.
(I'm very glad we never ran on open range..it was nothing like open range is out West)

I don't know much about pigs... but I have some questions. Is there some kind of vaccination that prevents trichinosis? Or is it just controlled by parasite controls?

If a feral hog is released from a trap every time it gets in one, will it act like a Judas goat to lead other hogs into the trap?

Do pigs populate an area and stop reproducing at some point? Or do they just keep having pigs as long as there is something to eat? How do castrated hogs in the population affect total numbers... if at all? Can you train a castrated hog to see piglets as food?

In East Texas, for feral hogs, there's ALWAYS something to eat.
Omnivores, they eat above and below the ground and in the water too..
They WILL find something to eat, even if it's each other and they have to kill their meal first.

Latest posts