Hoff First Edition

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnman":31iqzmpe said:
Angus, Red Angus, Gelbvieh, Simmental, Tarentaise. Some Hereford.

Just depends on which brother is running the program on what ranch.

Each has their preferences. The ones most tied to listening to popular press magazines, and especially the AAA are the least profitable. The ones that listen to the breed associations that actually have to work to make customers, and have to work to learn the science behind the system are more profitable. The most successful breed association is the least knowledgable about the whole science picture, and how genetics interact within the total system.

mtnman

What do you mean which brother is running which ranch? I mean on your personal cattle what bull do you use?

mntnmn,

If you are not calling me a liar, then what does this mean? This is your quote:
"Given that you are a purebred marketer, though, I normally wouldn't trust your take anyway."

BRG":3ljt0htm said:
mntnmn,
By the way, the 15 sons of First addition that you said were way to big, just averaged $3100, when the other 21 bulls from different sires in the sale averaged $1950. I guess the good cattleman of North Dakota don't really know how to ranch either. huh, interesting
How much did the lot 1, lot 4 and lot 17 bring. From your report on here looks like the First Editions sold real well. John can't kick himself for buying his interest in him, can he. A sale like he had with his sons averaging what they did against the others averages kind of shows what he's worth.

Lot 1 - 5250
Lot 4 - 3750
Lot 13 - 4250
lot 17 - 3500

He sure does do a good job with his calves. I am sure John will breed alot more cows to him this year.

BRG":1rm8p218 said:
Lot 1 - 5250
Lot 4 - 3750
Lot 13 - 4250
lot 17 - 3500

He sure does do a good job with his calves. I am sure John will breed alot more cows to him this year.
A man would be a fool not to. With that said, mtnman probaly wouldn't.

I am wondering if mtman's wife ran off with an Angus Breeder or something. He sure has an un natural hate for them. Still curious what kind of bull you use on your personal bulls?

aplusmnt":2qocdtme said:
I am wondering if mtman's wife ran off with an Angus Breeder or something. He sure has an un natural hate for them. Still curious what kind of bull you use on your personal bulls?

That was a little acidic I'm proud boy you are getting the humor.

aplusmnt":2g6ct8yz said:
I sertiously doubt that mtnkid ever had a wife.

It means that everything has a slant in your world, SRG.

Unless you only sell for folks that have programs exactly like yours, of course.

In other words, you find something positive to say about all of them.

Even if negatives for more important things are more evident.

It's not personal, SRG, it's your job, I understand that.

mtnman

Wow...sure didn't mean to start a range war with my questions about First Edition. :oops:

Anyway, ended up the proud owner of a fairly nice yearling son of FE (just my opinion, though).

I'll try and post a pic or two tomorrow, as it was getting dark when we brought him home.

Sure was impressed by his ADG over 82 days at test (4.4 lbs ) on a barley/oat silage/hay ration - and he's not rolly-poly hog fat either. Sure hope he'll pass his ability to gain along to his calves. ;-)

Got a kick out of the him, as he's currently penned with the Apple Dumpling Gang's 4H steers, and caused quite a stir when he waltzed into their pen. Three butterball steers bucking and frisking around a 1300lb yearling bull - poor bull must have felt he was getting demoted after hanging out with the other bachelors all winter when he ended up with the choir boys here.

Well, kinda pooped so it's off for bed.

Take care.

We run a big bunch of cows on 4 different ranches aplusmnt.

Each brother runs things a little differently.

They are all our personal cows.

How many? Didn't your Daddy teach you that is an impolite question?

Enough to feed out around 7,500 in the last 10 years. Maybe that is steers, maybe that is everything. Doesn't really matter. Nobody's business but ours.

mtnman

Frankie":1fbyzh4v said:
Doesn't really matter. Nobody's business but ours.

mtnman

But you don't mind sticking your nose into everyone else's business. :roll:

Yes, the Mntman has 7500 cows with his brothers (Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe) so he should have a dozen or so that are good enough for him to take digital pictures of for us to critique on the internet. He has NOT been shy at laying the lumber to everybody else's cows' phenotype and pedigrees.

CattleAnnie":pj9e1vuw said:
Wow...sure didn't mean to start a range war with my questions about First Edition. :oops:
That's OK Cattle Annie. Anytime that mtnkid gets involved in a conversation there'll be a range war. He don't like nobodys cattle and he ain't got no cattle for anyone to like. When he goes ride the range he gets in his daddys pickup truck and rides all over the Ponderosa.

mtnman":3avq0dfq said:
We run a big bunch of cows on 4 different ranches aplusmnt.

Each brother runs things a little differently.

They are all our personal cows.

How many? Didn't your Daddy teach you that is an impolite question?

Enough to feed out around 7,500 in the last 10 years. Maybe that is steers, maybe that is everything. Doesn't really matter. Nobody's business but ours.

mtnman

I never asked how many cattle you had! Never asked anything about numbers. All I was wondering is when you go to buy a bull for your personal cows, what kind of bull do you buy? I could care less if it is one bull for 10 head or 10 bulls for 300 head. Just curious what bull do you buy to put on your cow. Now what your brother buys for his cows.

apologies to you aplusmnt.

Confused your questions with some of these other guys on here.

It's a family operation on several ranches, so can't seperate everything out.

They are "ranch cows", not "my cows".

mtnman

Latest posts