Hobby farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb":13xtrzex said:
Farmhand":13xtrzex said:
Bez - We splice wire by making a loop on one end, tying it back on itself. Then run the end of the next wire through that loop and tying it back on itself. We end up with 2 loops hooked together. I, too, am interested in the hearing about what you have learned.

In my experience, the problem with two loops is they will eventually rust through or break where they make contact. The new fangled splicers like gripples ain't worth a warm pitcher of spit either. I've had to resplice too many that the neighbor put in. Crimping sleeves? the jury's still out. Anyone had them pull apart yet?

I hope Bez will enlighten us soon with his new found splicing technique.

Crimper sleeves are a joke IMO tried don't like em any stress and it comes apart.

aplusmnt":2cys95vk said:
This Hobby Farm thing is spreading like wild fires and not only on this site it is all over the WWW. Caustic has got something started here and it is spreading faster than a wild fire during a drought.

The number of hobby farms continues to grow. The most recent Ag Census shows that hobby farms comprise 59.3% of total farms in the U.S. By their definition, a hobby farm is a farm that makes under $10,000 per year.

:roll: Wow, I guess with this drought there maybe alot more hobby farmers.

KenB":9lg2tgxw said:
aplusmnt":9lg2tgxw said:
This Hobby Farm thing is spreading like wild fires and not only on this site it is all over the WWW. Caustic has got something started here and it is spreading faster than a wild fire during a drought.

The number of hobby farms continues to grow. The most recent Ag Census shows that hobby farms comprise 59.3% of total farms in the U.S. By their definition, a hobby farm is a farm that makes under $10,000 per year.

Gross or net?

dun

dun":1sd4dzna said:
KenB":1sd4dzna said:
aplusmnt":1sd4dzna said:

Gross or net?

dun

Just a guess, but Im guessing its adjusted gross as reported on taxes.

I think that would be gross Dun, if it was net we would all be hobby farmers! :lol: :lol:

rkm":14jnfeyu said:
I think that would be gross Dun, if it was net we would all be hobby farmers! :lol: :lol:

My thoughts exactly.

dun

dun":2ic4fdyc said:
rkm":2ic4fdyc said:

My thoughts exactly.

dun

There are a lot of full time boys going completely broke here. They'd hope just to break even these last two years.

I agree with the first few paragraghs from Lammie. To me it
doesn't matter, if you really like what you're doing. I retired
early so I could do what I really wanted to do. And I DO name
every bovine on the place. :)

Names numbers, who cares really; its all the same, as long as you can keep track of who's who. I think the name hangup is more of being associated with pets and the general concensus here being Cows shouldnt be treated like pets.

3MR":mgdzmtzb said:
Names numbers, who cares really; its all the same, as long as you can keep track of who's who. I think the name hangup is more of being associated with pets and the general concensus here being Cows shouldnt be treated like pets.

I agree & disagree...

Agree: Ranchers that raise cattle for beef and sell by pound are more interested in body condition, perpetuating a consistent quality "line" of animals, and prospects of high dollar sales at commercial market as the result of. And, they usually do the unique ear tags to ID (along with ranch brands, if done by the producer).

Disagree: Ranchers that raise registered seedstock cattle MUST name and/or otherwise identify with unique ID due to registration requirements and others wanting to purchase cattle from certain bloodlines. Some ranchers also have a "pasture name" for each registered animal that they use to call the animal up.

Longhorns: Each registered animal must have a name plus a unique private herd (P/H) number. Each animal is branded with their ranch brand and the P/H number. Also, many of the LH breeders have a series of photos of each animal to further aid in identification for advertising/marketing and/or to identify the animal in event it goes estray.

Running Arrow Bill":2b1w6mcr said:
3MR":2b1w6mcr said:

I agree & disagree...

Agree: Ranchers that raise cattle for beef and sell by pound are more interested in body condition, perpetuating a consistent quality "line" of animals, and prospects of high dollar sales at commercial market as the result of. And, they usually do the unique ear tags to ID (along with ranch brands, if done by the producer).

Disagree: Ranchers that raise registered seedstock cattle MUST name and/or otherwise identify with unique ID due to registration requirements and others wanting to purchase cattle from certain bloodlines. Some ranchers also have a "pasture name" for each registered animal that they use to call the animal up.

Longhorns: Each registered animal must have a name plus a unique private herd (P/H) number. Each animal is branded with their ranch brand and the P/H number. Also, many of the LH breeders have a series of photos of each animal to further aid in identification for advertising/marketing and/or to identify the animal in event it goes estray.

Yeah your right of course, my point was only that however you choose to identify your animals is up to you. Names will work just as well as numbers.

I know LH's require a herd number brand for registration, but then its still up to you if you want to register them or not.

All of ours are tagged but the wife can;t rememeber which cow is 242 and which is M148. She does remember them by name. Plus thhe grankids get a kick out of naming therm all

dun

dun":1x3k5p6x said:
All of ours are tagged but the wife can;t rememeber which cow is 242 and which is M148. She does remember them by name. Plus thhe grankids get a kick out of naming therm all

dun

Kids have either named all of ours or they are registered and already had names. Things were going good at first with Marry Moo and Cupid, but the last two names of Polly Wolly and Crabman got me thinking more about that numbering system :D

Latest posts