Hobby farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
I have heard the term hobby farmer and part timer. Can someone tell me what is meant by hobby farmer and how that differs from part timer?

A hobby farmer has a little land and is farming/raising cattle for fun.

A part time farmer has a little land and is farming/raising cattle for fun. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;-) :cboy:

mnmt

Let me see, from what I understand, this is the difference. Correct me, everyone, if I am wrong or if you have anything to add.

Hobby Farmer: Someone who 1) does not make their living farming. Keeps cattle pets, has names for his or her cattle. 2) May or may not have a nice place, new home, Ford F350 4 door King Ranch edition truck with no dents, pipe fence, a new tractor, new barns and equipment that he may or may not use and may or may not have any interest in using. 3) Someone who bought a lot of land at extravagent prices, bought all of the above, along with some cattle, horses, alpacas... "just for fun". 4) can afford to have a man run the place.

Part Time Farmer: Someone who farms or ranches part of the time and works in town the rest of the time in order to be able to afford to farm part of the time.

Hobby farmers buy hay. Part time farmers grow their own and hope they get two good cuttings.

Hobby farmers shop at tractor supply.

Part time farmers like to use the local co-op to support their community, but will go where they need to go to get the best price or to find what they need on Sunday. Or better yet, they will improvise or weld it themselves.

Then there's me and others like me. I bought some bottle calves at the sale barn to have something to do. I have a few acres and a couple of barns. I have to borrow a trailer because it makes no sense for me to own one. I buy hay, but hate to do it. I have posted some really stupid questions. I have laughed at myself when I got the answers and no one really made fun of me. I don't know where I fit in. Got no hat!

Please feel free to add, detract, or otherwise attack my views. Remember, I learned them here. ;-)

Do a search. You will find many interesting arguments.

Just because someone has a job in town doesn't make them a part time rancher. It means, they spend the other 16 hours of the day and all weekend doin the jobs on the ranch. I'd call that a rancher with a part time job in town LOL It doesn't mean your doin it small time either. What it basically boils down to, is a Job in town with benefits so that you can go home and do what you really love doin.

Hey! You have to do something to be able to afford the farm! Either way, you have to work your tail off twice as hard.

Some good comments on this thread to date. In addition, my additional definitions of a "real" farmer/rancher might include:
  • 1. In the cattle business with a plan of making a profit.
    2. Has a business plan and a marketing plan.
    3. Advertises regularly in livestock publications (especially true of seedstock producers). May also have website and/or have own business literature distributed to prospective customers.
    4. Buys/sells cattle on regular or periodic basis.
    5. Since farming/ranching is traditionally a "break even and/or a little profit every once in a while", any number of operations have another job, source of income, and/or bank loans to sustain their operation.
    6. "Real" operator has a hands-on function in the operation...not an absentee owner.
    7. May or may not produce own hay...no crime in buying hay if it is more cost-effective, or people-effective to buy it.
    8. Real operator is less concerned about making "an impression on others" than trying to keep his/her operation running and out of too much debt.
    9. If physically able him/herself, does own cattle working, hauling, vaccinating, feeding, watering, etc., etc. May have one or more ranch hands to help with work.
    10. A "Real" operator is not into the operation as a tax write-off or as an "investment" operation.
    :cboy:

In that case, I ammend my statement. There are no part time farmers! It is a full time proposition no matter what else is going on. :D

e2f60705.gif

I am an engineer and can't walk away from it. That said, cattle is a part time venture.

Cattle is in my blood. As far back as I go in Texas, my ancestors had cattle. That goes back to before the Alamo and San Jacinto.

I don't have to make a living with cattle, but I do need to break even. Since I get property tax breaks, I can afford to lose a few nickels but would rather keep my nickels in my pocket.

Hence, cattle is a "hobby" for me. All my cows have names. Some names are quite funny too.

So when I am referred to as a "Hobby Farmer" in this forum, the truth doesn't hurt. I've been called some things far worse. But, what we have is ours. I build equity into land and cattle every year. When I hit the golden years, I'll be on to something. Nickels from retirement, pension, and cattle will all add up. I will have more time for farming and such then, and I truly enjoy this hobby.

Thanks for the opinions. I now have a better understanding of what is meant by hobby farmer and I understand that there is no such thing as a part timer. I have goals, marketing strategies, herd improvement plans and I need to make a profit but my special cows have names and I am glad to write off any losses. We buy our hay and we work our own cattle. So whatever we are we enjoy the cattle and enjoy learning from all you nice people.

Really, I'm a bit of everything.

I have a little bit of land and I enjoy growing crops and raising cattle.

I am part time becouse I have a Woodmizer saw mill and custom saw.[mostly Fall and winter].

I worked very hard at business for a while so I could do what I'm doing now. Working almost full time on my cattle ranch.

My wife has a good job with benifits to help support what I'm doing.

So, hobby farmer, part time, full time whatever. I say go for it.

mnmt

Good evening to all y'all,
This is an interesting thread, I am a member of the Ala Cattleman Assoc. From Info I get from the ACA, most cattlemen/women in our GREAT STATE OF ALABAMA have on average 25/50 head. We right now have 26 head. We buy our hay, because for us it is more convenient and less expensive than raising our own. We buy most of our supplies from the local CO-OP and sometimes Jeffery. We do our own castrating, vaccinations, deworming, ECT. We have a vet who comes when we need him and gives us advice by phone.
My profession is full time minister/preacher and I travel out of the US and do volunteer missions. I preach because God called me. I raise cows because I enjoy it. As tiring as it is, it is relaxing. I think I enjoy cows because they remind me of congregations I have had in the past: stubborn, self-willed, mean, wont do what they should, and always DEMANDING attention.
Now I am confused, am I a farmer/rancher and hobby preacher, or Hobby farmer/rancher and professional preacher?
Back in the winter I spoke to a certain Guru in south TX who told me that he had about 50 head and worked in the oil business. Does that mean he is a hobby oil man and profession cattleman or a hobby farmer and professional oil man? If you have two cows and you try to sell one for a profit ,doesn't that take the term "hobby" out of the equation? While living in Hunt county TX, I knew personally only one operator that had( according to rumor) about 3,000 head. All the other ranchers were about like our little operation with 20/50 head.
Now one more question, When does anything change from being a hobby to avocation to profession? Thanks for reading this long post
Bud in LA

You being a man of God makes you able to be anything you want, sir...from my mouth to God's ear...or vice versa...oh, whatever...

Alice

Bud In lower Ala":1qbfpvii said:
Now I am confused, am I a farmer/rancher and hobby preacher, or Hobby farmer/rancher and professional preacher?

I'll tell you right up front what you are. You are a good man doing what he loves and in the process helping others along the way. The number of cattle you own, the number of acres you own, the size of your house, etc. doesn't mean squat. Let others call you what they will. If you feel comforatable about yourself.......that's all that matters. But then, I suspect you already knew that. ;-)

Alice":2y2psf02 said:
You being a man of God makes you able to be anything you want, sir...from my mouth to God's ear...or vice versa...oh, whatever...

Alice
Thanks Alice.You know what I like about you? That pretty little rat in your avatar. The old rancher iin TX that had the 3000 head told me one day."Never ask a cattleman how many cows he has" and " A preacher who likes cows cant be all BAD"
So I'll say to you ,A person who loves Rats has got to be a Great person
Bud

Latest posts