Hmmm....I have my eye on another calf... (w/pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
This one doesn't have scours, or pnemonia, or anything that needs antibiotics. Instead, he is a giant bull calf (born 7/10) that was cramped inside a tiny cow, and his muscles are stretched too much on one side, and much too short on the other. His neck is 'stuck' turned one direction, body same, shucks, even his ear is pasted along his head in an unnatural position. LOL. Looks like a dog permanently stuck chasing his tail.

I'm willing to pick him up and try something with him....just don't know what he needs or if anything would help. Physical therapy? Selenium? Right now he's gotten very reluctant to get up, and no wonder, the way he can't stand well or walk in a straight line.

Anyone else had/seen calves like this, and how'd they turn out? is he even worth spending the time on?

---edited to note picture in subject line, see following post for pictures---

If anyone else was asking this question I would say eat it, it ain't worth the effort. But considering the patients you had with the other one and the fact that you know what your getting into, I'd say go for it. I can't give you any advice as what to do. I have never tried to pull one through something like this. Good luck and keep is posted.

Sounds like the uterus didn't expand with the calf. The calf will probably get pnumonia from (1) not being able to be active and (2) possible aspiration pnumonia from having to be tubed all the time. I would give him a shot of B vitamin complex, and work his head for a couple of days. Maybe even try a mucle relaxer in the milk if you have it.. :) If he shows no improvement in 3 days I would dispose of it, that's if he dosn't die on his own. I have seen calves simular to this with their feet turned in at the hock, but never the neck. I have had a couple come with the minor bend in the leg myself, but it was gone in 48hrs, once they got to moving around. Good luck. Some self correct, others never do.

Milkmaid,
as much respect as I have for you...this calf sounds pretty severe. I would suggest you pass on this one.
Gotta love your "go get um" attitude!
What a great kid!!!

Thats a "windswept" calf. I have also seen it in Big foals too.
When they stand up even their legs have a curve to them for a while and it can take several weeks or longer to straighten up.

The only thing that concerns me is that you suggest that this calf you are considering has his head bent back? Wow.
If he looks healthy otherwise with no Nervous symptoms, I would be willing to give him a go.

Yes a shot of selenium, and massage and encouragement.

Welllll.........I'm a softy. :p :oops: I had until morning to decide on the calf, but the weather turned ugly and I knew he didn't have much shelter, so I picked him up last night. I know, I know. :lol:

Snapped a couple pics last night before it got too dark...little blurry, but I think you folks can see what he looks like.

bullcalf1.jpg

bullcalf2.jpg

His hind quarters actually go one way, front end the other... sorriest looking calf I've encountered in quite awhile. :lol: He really can't turn his neck any further to the right than the second pic shows, and while the hind end can go the other direction, the front end cannot. However, everything seems to be formed correctly, and when I pick him up he can stand. i.e. - all legs the same length, lol.

I gave him Vit B complex and Bo-Se last night, and, on the assumption that this is like an extreme case of contracted tendons - just involving the whole calf, rather than just the front legs - I flipped him flat on his left side so he'd have to stretch those neck muscles. I'm sure it's not comfortable for him, but it's this or the .22, and that was going to be his fate if I didn't want him.

Like I said, I'm a softy. LOL.

Hmmmm. That looks like something more than just windswept. Windswept babies are not usually stiff. ....just curved. But then like you say he has the front going one way and the back the other.

This little gaffer could have some neurological stuff going on, but I encourage you to give him a shot. He hasn't given up yet.
Ack! By " give him a shot" I meant keeping working on him... not shoot him!....until he tells you he doesn't want to do this anymore.

milkmaid, you are a softy and you have your work cut out for you... but you'll be better for it.. good luck with the calf.

jt

good luck Milkmaid
if anyone can keep this calf alive it's you
keep us posted

Caustic Burno":521ciiw2 said:
I beginning to believe you are the patron saint of lost causes, more power to you.

:lol: :lol: Well I hope it's not a lost cause. :p I don't mind taking on the ones that have a chance, but not the ones that obviously aren't going to make it - ie, born with an intestinal blockage.

I'm trying the physical therapy...have had to put a straw bale between front and rear legs when I lay him on his side, just so he can't get his feet under him and go back to laying crookedly. He's got to stay the way I put him or those muscles just aren't going to get stretched.

Got yourself into another fine mess eh MM? Well, can ya keep us posted? :lol:

you are getting these calves free right? ;-)

By the way, our guest house is now empty, and we are looking for an ambitious hand to work with our calves...... ;-) ;-) ;-)

More power to ya milkmaid and I wish you luck. My question is since this is a bull calf and IF you save him what are your plans for him. You sure don't want a Holestein bull around. ;-)

My question is since this is a bull calf and IF you save him what are your plans for him. You sure don't want a Holestein bull around. ;-)

Oh...I have my ways of fixing that problem. That one's easy to 'cure'. :lol:

And yes he's free. Heifer calves I'm willing to pay for, but bull calves have to be free.

milkmaid":w764fbos said:
My question is since this is a bull calf and IF you save him what are your plans for him. You sure don't want a Holestein bull around. ;-)

Oh...I have my ways of fixing that problem. That one's easy to 'cure'. :lol:

And yes he's free. Heifer calves I'm willing to pay for, but bull calves have to be free.

You have stirred my curiousity, why do bull calves have to be free for you to take them?

P.S. It looks like you have your work cut out for you with this little guy, but if anyone can do it, you can! I have faith in you!! ;-)

Oh, just free if they have some serious problems. LOL. If there's nothing wrong with them I don't mind paying good money for the calf. I got my hands on some nice beef bull calves earlier this spring - they were anything but cheap.

Calf is looking up a little. I gave him his bottle this evening and had his head turned almost all the way around to the right. He won't take it that far around unless I have the bottle - I insist that he turn his head for it - and he can't drink the whole bottle in one sitting like that. He has to take a few breaks in between to catch his breath. His head shoots back to its 'normal' position like it's spring-loaded.

I tied his feet this evening, propped his head up, and I'll leave him that way for the night, then give him time on the other side in the morning. I'll have to stand him up and get a picture of how he looks standing. That's where he really looks pathetic. He almost looks normal when he lays down now, but standing...LOL. It's bad.

I saw a picture of a calf like that once. Under it read the caption "This calf's mother ate lupine while she was pregnant."

Good luck. He sure is a cute little feller.

Latest posts