Hip Lifter

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Went to hay the cows this afternoon. Had a perfectly healthy, middle aged, heavy bred cow down. Couldn't get her back end up. So I do what I always do, and zapped her with the hot shot. Nothing. So I'm thinking here we go again. Borrowed a hip lifter from a neighbor bc I don't have one (but I will as soon as UPS can get them here). Gave her a shot of selenium and a shot of Dex. Waited 5 minutes. Picked her up. She stood wobbly for a few seconds and I eased off until she was on her own. She held herself up good. After 15 minutes I took the lifter off and she walked off. Straight to the other cows and started eating. She's limping some but I think she's gonna be fine. I can only guess another cow tried to ride her. ? I've never had a down cow that reacted so well to being lifted. I thought I was wasting my time. I attribute most of her "recovery" to getting her up quickly. I posted this for two reasons.

1) Never assume you can't help one. Do all you can. The rest is on her. Sometimes it works out.
2) We hear bad news all day every day. Sometime it's nice to read something positive.

Latest posts