Does this look like a dislocated hip?

Help Support CattleToday:

crosseydcrab

Reaction score
This is an 8 month old bull calf. One hip is cocked higher than the other. The opposing hind leg seems to be turned slightly outward. I posted a YouTube video of the calf today. You can find it by searching "Bull calf hip2" and my channel name is Lana Kelley. He is a red calf suckling behind mama. I've never dealt with this before so I would appreciate some opinions.

Lana, how long has been like this. Did he suffer from some kind of trauma (fighting a bull or something)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIdD2rVIqwY

And welcome to CT :welcome:

Is it possible that it is weaver syndrome? I hope not, but it was the first thing I thought when I saw the video.

"Bovine progressive degenerative myeloencephalopathy (BPDME), also known as weaver syndrome, is a genetic disorder of cattle, characterized by hindlimb weakness and ataxia. It has been observed in male and female Brown Swiss cattle. It is known as 'weaver syndrome' because of the animals' 'weaving' gait while walking. BPDME is a genetic autosomal recessive disorder.

The signs of BPDME are first noticed in cattle aged 5–8 months, and include a weaving gait, along with weakness and lack of voluntary coordination of the muscles of the hind limbs (known as ataxia). Signs progressively worsen, and by 18–36 months of age, the animal is unable to rise. Affected animals are euthanized for welfare reasons."

He has always seemed to be a little bit cowhocked but I haven't noticed the cocked hip until the last couple of weeks. But that doesn't mean the problem wasn't presenting itself. I just may have not noticed it. I've had my eyes more focused on cows lately since its calving season. There wasn't any trauma that I know of. He still runs and jumps around and even tries to mount some of the cows. Do you think it's worth it to have a vet assess him?

I supposed began noticing it a couple weeks ago. It's possible it has gone on for longer. I've been more focused on cows lately with calving season underway. This calf still run and jumps around and tries to mount some of the cows sometimes. I dont think a traumatic has happened, to my knowledge at least. He has always seemed to be a little cow hocked. Do you think it's worth it to have a vet assess him?

Latest posts