Calf and hip/walking problems?

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
New calf born 16 days ago to a experienced momma, 10+ years old..my wife was on it from the start and she as a bit worried by his size, prob 50lbs, and that he just had no desire to get going/nursing and the mommas bag was huge so hard to tell if he sucked. Got calf and momma in the pens. Got a tube of, whatever that stuff is you buy at the feed store, and got him to take some fake cholostrum via a bottle. After we watched when he would get up (we had to get him up) he would nurse, tail switching, but he just always seemed a bit slow. After a week in the pens he seemed strong and we let them out..well now (yesterday and today) while he is bigger and stronger he just does not move well. He does not appear in pain but it is almost like he is shuffling his feet and his back legs almost seem to be "turned in" a bit. And he seems to be a bit humpbacked. He is alert, seems to muse hard when he nurses but his movement is bad.

With our bull (3/4 Simbrah) this is the first we have seen from a calf over the last 2+ years (prob 40 calves).

Thoughts?

My first concern in a calf of that age and history would be joint infection(s) secondary to septicemia. Other possibilities, selenium deficiency, congenital joint/muscle problems, congenital heart defects, trauma (head or otherwise)... I'd still consider joint ill though. Might be awhile before lameness becomes apparent. You could take him to your local vet clinic and have them check serum protein for passive transfer status (success of colostrum absorption) and maybe bloodwork to look for evidence of an infection.

I'm with milkmaid. Only way to know is an exam and some blood work. Personally I would give that shot of Selenium right off. Examine the navel really well, and feel all the joints for swelling.

UPDATE..

Well he is still alive, almost 5 weeks old. He is still nursing when he gets up but seems like we have to get him up.. only about 1 out of 5 times we check on him is he up on his own. When we get to the pasture he is usually just sitting there under a tree or in the middle of the open depending on the weather.

He is still very stiff when he gets up but once he gets up and moving then he moves better. Doubt we will ever be able to run him thru the sale barn..will just have to see over the next few months assuming he makes it.

Does not appear to be in pain and when he does nurse he gets after it pretty good.

Latest posts