Use a cow lifter or not??

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder too like Nesi can you anal exam for broken pelvis ? I wonder if you could see a crack w a ultra sound? If it is cracked I think making her get up might set any recovery back.

dun":11vsm1ai said:
JMJ Farms":11vsm1ai said:
Have you shocked her? I'm not saying torture her. But if you stick her with a hot shot she will get up if she possibly can. I know some people don't like hot shots, but remember you are trying to help her. If this doesn't work I just tote feed and water to them until they give up trying.
I agree, and I'm one that hates hotshots. But in this one instance I would give it a try.

In my book this is the ONLY good use for a hotshot. I have saw too many cows that did not get up after a hard pull never get up. I have enthusiastically used a pitchfork to get several up that did not want to and they ended up being fine after I made them walk for half an hour or so. A little slow getting up for a few days, but they ended up ok.

I did use the pitchfork to "motivate" her to move off a low spot so I could get her on deeper bedding. Last night I sat and watched her for about an hour... she was rotating side to side and MOVING her legs/feet/hip well. BUT...I didn't notice her chewing her cud at all... so I'm going to get some Probios this morning and give to her just on the chance it will help her gut. She drank well this morning but just the lack of food intake I'm worried about... I don't think this is headed in a good direction. When I see "the look" she'll be put down... I love my girls but I also know when its time to quit.

True Grit Farms":3f2dta7j said:
I have nothing to add but good luck to you. Just a sad deal.
Thank you so much. I'm going to try later to get a video of her....just to share on her condition NOW vs. where we wind up. It might help someone down the road.

with a possible pelvic injury , I would put hobbles on her rear feet ,just incase the reason she is down is she did the splits on ice , it would prevent her feet from spreading to much , I would do the hobbles , give a shot of Banamine , and then pick her up and once she is on her feet take off the sling
and let her stand on her own , I have had a down cow , and have a set of hip lifts , but would not use them for hip injuries ,
the trick is you want to get her up 2 times a day , and let her stand on her own for a while , not lay in a sling
Suzanne
mine got up on her own after 4 days of laying with me turning her 2 times a day and then 4 days of lifting with the hip lifts

Latest posts