Highland Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Highlands are cute critter aren't they

783.jpg

Orerancher":1b7plzn4 said:
Another two cents worth.... Heads (skulls) sell better without bullet holes.
Highland heads (skulls)....or just heads (skulls) in general? :lol: Just kidding!

Does anyone have an answer to my question about how long we could expect a well tended steer to live?

Most people butcher steers when they are under 24 months old but Highlands are known for their longevity and I would guess that if his health was okay, he would live 15 years +.

CRR:

Thanks for the info; we were given the small herd without any specifics, so now I will try to reconstruct his age. Hope you can escape the cold up there, we are forecast to go well below zero F tonight.

Supposed to be right around freezing tomorrow. Almost makes me feel like taking the day off. Wednesday, back down to -26 C again. Temperature changes like that can be hard on the cows.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3szsjkc3 said:
Does anyone have an answer to my question about how long we could expect a well tended steer to live?

Most people butcher steers when they are under 24 months old but Highlands are known for their longevity and I would guess that if his health was okay, he would live 15 years +.

Friend of mine has a highland/ angus cow that is either 20 or 21.

Well, ya know, one of the reasons we are looking forward to producing a small herd of Highlands, thus the year round temps on this mountain rarely go above 75-80f even when the lowlands below us are sweltering. But winter again is another story...............the town below us may be enjoying calm, reasonable temp. while we are swirlling snow, and seeing temps of minus 0.
We rarely have fly or skeeter issuies here, even have very few ticks up this high......so I am hoping that Highlands will be just the ticket for us......perhaps. The summer is brezzy and flys dont land often to amount to much. Thank Goodness.

Does anyone know anything about mini highlanders?? I want to raise them as a novelty pet-seeing I can't seem to eat my own animals. Is there any kind of a market for such a pet?

We have only had one problem with blowflies; but it involved a two week old calf that was attacked by a coyote (or dog). When we discovered the problem the cuts were loaded with larvee; it took a good five days to clean everything up. As stated earlier, the calf was set back for another week or so. We have just found ticks moving into Central NH. The highlands seem to relish our climate; they stand right out on the cold nights and find shelter in the woods during the hotter days of summer.

Sorry folks, the question about "mini Highlands" has hit one of my "hot" buttons...
We have people trying to turn Highlands into minies...

We have people trying to turn Highlands into giants....

We have people trying to poll em....

And in the process they are muddying up the gene pool.

If you want something from your cattle that Highlands don't do...

Get a breed that does! Leave the Grand old breed as it is!

Improvment is good, Change is not!

I'll get off my soap box now, Again sorry for the trantrum.

Thank you for the honesty! I was only thinking mini because I've never worked with cattle before and I love highlanders. But, I'm glad that you spoke up! I want to breed something that is worth it. Something special. If true highland lovers think like you then I need to get this right.

Now if I was going to breed a good highlander where would I start? How do I keep the genes "unmuddy"?

Simply Bovine
Hope I didn't offend you that was not my intent. Highlands are a great breed, But they are not gonna work for everybody.

I would suggest that you get on the web site of the American Highland Cattle Association They have a list of breeders, many in your neck of the woods.
Contact some of them.

Most Highland breeders I know really enjoy talking about their cattle.
Feel free to PM me I will help all I can

Hey you all can keep chatting about the blow fly thing. I didn't mean to interupt that subject. Sorry.

But, when you all get a chance could you tell me the difference between Highlander, Scottish Highlanders and American Highlanders?? I have been going to places all over the web looking at highland sites and I'm hearing all the terms: highlander, scottish highlander, american highlander. I know originally there were like two versions in Scotland. Black smaller ones and the bigger red ones. But, whats with all the different names?

The breed name is Scottish Highland or Highland for short. The American Highland would be the name of the group in the US that keeps track of the breed registry.

Oh, okay. I just thought that maybe it was little Classic Shetland ponies and American Shetland ponies. Where the american shetland is the modern version. Taller, and breed with a fancier pony to improve size and looks.

How about registery. Is a Highland worth more if it is registered??

I was wondering if Highlanders have problems with burrs ? I know they like to forage, but in the process I would think they might get quite matted with burrs and such.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with burrs as Highlands will eat them.Also they like to eat the blossoms of nodding thistles.
As for longevity I have an 18 year old cow that still raises a good calf every year.