Highland Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi, I'm new to the board and new to cattle. My husband is interested in getting into cattle and has his heart set on Highlanders. We have children and dogs and horses so something gentler like the highlander are ideal. My question is, we live in the south, North Carolina to be exact. With them being so fluffy, would they shed out enough to keep them cool enough during the hot humid months? Also, I saw that someone mentioned udder problems, what sort of problems and how do I avoid them? I have a million questions and the more information you could give me on them the better. Are there some good research sites that ya'll recommend? (Yes I said ya'll...LOL) :D
Sorry to highjack your thread, but it's the same type of questions. :D

Highlands are on average gentel and easy handeling. Do not plan on selling them for alot at your sale barn though unless you cross them with another breed. Yes they will shed out for the hot months. Udder problems are very rare in the Highland breed. Calving is almost stress free and you wont find better tasting, tender meat. They are very easy keepers and hardy as all get out! Ask all the questions you want they are some great little cattle!

As was stated before, check out the websites:

http://www.chcs.ca - that's the Canadian association. Just do a search for the American assoc, I'm not sure of their exact URL. The direct market thing we do includes Highland beef. It's sold under it's own label in a couple meat shops in Calgary. The owner of the company says when his freezer is empty, they slaughter a 4-6 year old Highland cow. Says it's the best beef you'll eat in your life, and he's tried it all. Can't say I've had any yet, but we're lookin forward to tryin it.

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear about the easy birthing, I wasn't looking forward to having to pull calves out, but I would if needed. What is the best age to process a highlander? When does the meat taste the best? How large do they generally get? I saw the longevity, I'll have to go back and re read the rest of the posts on them. I don't really want to crossbreed, but if I decided to, what cross would be better marketwise? Thanks for all your help!
Oh and I heard mentioned that colorwise, the lighter ones are more desirable, obviously not for eating but selling. Is this true?
Also is $800 a fair price for a 2 month old registered bull calf?

Gliderider":s9vtjtui said:
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear about the easy birthing, I wasn't looking forward to having to pull calves out, but I would if needed. What is the best age to process a highlander? When does the meat taste the best? How large do they generally get? I saw the longevity, I'll have to go back and re read the rest of the posts on them. I don't really want to crossbreed, but if I decided to, what cross would be better marketwise? Thanks for all your help!
Oh and I heard mentioned that colorwise, the lighter ones are more desirable, obviously not for eating but selling. Is this true?
If $300.00 to $400.00 is an OK price for 1 to 3 day old bottle calves then I would expect $800.00 would be a fair price for a 2 mo. old Reg. B/C if its a good quality beef breed worthy of being your herd sire in a year or so.

i am too looking into getting into highlands, hada little sticker shock for a whlie LOLi have found some for $900-1,000. 15 yr old cow for $700. but then i found the deal of the day.. 2 yr old dun bull $500 easy to handle loves to be brushed,, etc.. and a couple cows for the same price each... oh yeah.. im comming home with some highlands.. they are only a few here in my st .so far thats the best price for a young herd . they all are 2-3 yr old. still looking i did find a 1 yr that was bottle fed for 450. Good luck with your cows...

Oh I wish I could find a deal like that! I'm working on it though, I may have to travel out of state a bit, but hopefully not too far. I have only contacted a couple of the breeders in my state, I really want to check around. I'd prefer to buy from a smaller operation, but will go big if I have to. Thanks for all the input, it's really helpful. I'm working on a list of questions for ya'll. :D

~
Highlands do really well up here in this Green Mountain State.
They are natural "weed wackers" and have longevity, small calves and seldom are bothered by the bad weather.

I did see it mentioned that:

"Highland cattle are known as grass fed beef and is the only breed of cattle that is not susceptible to "mad cow" disease.  They have a double layer of hair to protect them from the elements that most cattle cannot tolerate."

Here is the website I saw it on:

http://www.karabinfarms.com/Barnyardfriends.html

The local BIG SH breeder sells alot of his beef in hotdogs and is very sucessful at it.

Last year he did start crossing his SH with SimmAngus, and actually bought one of Jeanne's Sim heifers to add to his project.

Here is his website:

http://www.blackwatchfarm.com

He takes a truck load of his cattle out to Colorado to compete every year at the National Western and does very well.

More info and a nice article:

Ottauquechee Natural Resources Conservation District-Farmer Discussion Group http://www.vacd.org/onrcd/manafort.html

I might add that many locals have bought Scottish Highlands at auction or traded for them from various places and it is true they revert to a feral nature quickly if they escape. And most new purchase do escape.
The woods in this county are full of escaped Scottish Highlanders.
I love hearing the stories and reading about the "sightings" of a wooly cow in the woods.

Gliderider":1mxisudu said:
Mature bulls weigh around 1,800 pounds mature cows weigh around 1,100 pounds Steers will finish at about 1,000. Most people process at 2 years but if fed more then just grass they can be ready as long yearlings.

How do you plan on selling your cattle? As far as a cross for the market limousines work good they add alot of beef and some height, with less hair as well. Be sure to only breed your cows not your heifers to a cross like limousine. Also be sure to dehorn and castrate. The sale barn buyers do not like nuts, alot of hair, or horns.

If you are selling freezer beef a good cross is Welsh Black or Angus. You can get calves that mature earlyer and have a bit more marbling. Also if the bull you breed to is Homozygous polled you do not have to dehorn as many calves.

Otherwise go Reg. as you can see people ask a good $ for their Reg. Highlands. You are right about the lighter colors being on average more desirable for selling. Like most things the less of them there are the higher the price. $800 is only a far price if the Reg. bull calf comes from the right blood lines and both parent are proven to be qualitiy cattle. Make sure you see both parents before buying.

Latest posts