high priced funnel butt

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Here's a 3 mo bull calf out of Coneally Power One and SAF Focus of ER (mgs). Even the best genetics can land you with funnel butt! I keep checking him hoping he grew a butt since the last time I looked . . . he was supposed to have been a herdsire prospect.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... ves002.jpg

This young 3 mo is out of a simmi cross cow and my herd bull (from my own registered herd). Reminds me what they're supposed to look like. Unfortunately he won't make herd sire either. He weighed 100 lbs at birth and had to be pulled. That was a tough call. My daughter's going to take him to the fair.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... ves001.jpg

Can someone actually post the pics for me??

calves002.jpg

calves001.jpg

dunno why but the heads wont show in the preview

Sorry, if he is already 90 days old you can probably throw in the towell and cut him now. I hope I am wrong. He looks like he is growing pretty good though so he should be a decent market steer. Is that her first calf???

Angus, doesn't look as if he's getting enough milk. Had any problems with this cow milking in the past?

the first bull doesn't necessarily have a pedigree that would transmit alot of power unless it would come from than grandam or further back...pm me and i'll elaborate if you wish.

krenwic

Both bulls are out of first calf heifers with enough bag to feed their kid.

Funnel butt's dam with have one more shot to produce something respectable or she'll be sold as a second calf commercial breeder.

krenwic":2y6rhp4g said:
the first bull doesn't necessarily have a pedigree that would transmit alot of power unless it would come from than grandam or further back...pm me and i'll elaborate if you wish.

krenwic

Not a lot of power . . . that's fine . . . but the pedigree shouldn't be producing funnel butts!! :lol:

You breed him. If he's out of a crap cow what did you expect and why would you want to sell a bull out of a funnel butted cow. Breed her to the simmy bull and you might get a good feeder calf.
Maybe you should use more of your own genetics if you know they work for you.

angus9259,

i'm not in any way trying to say anything bad about your cattle. however, i think the bulls you mentioned in the pedigree are quite capable of producing funnel butted animals. just because a sire is heavily used, has X amount of pathfinder daughters, or his semen is priced at $300 doesn't make him a great bull. there are angus bulls available if you like the type and kind of cattle that are big-hipped, deep-ribbed, and thick-topped. they just aren't necessarily any of the bulls you mentioned.

EAT BEEF":ctl7mm21 said:
You breed him. If he's out of a crap cow what did you expect and why would you want to sell a bull out of a funnel butted cow. Breed her to the simmy bull and you might get a good feeder calf.

If you re-read the thread you'll note I never said anything about the cow being a "crap" cow or being funnel butted herself.

You'll also note my goal is not to produce feeder calves.

Other than that, thanks for your advice . . . .

angus9259":1t2eqohg said:
EAT BEEF":1t2eqohg said:

If you re-read the thread you'll note I never said anything about the cow being a "crap" cow or being funnel butted herself.

You'll also note my goal is not to produce feeder calves.

Other than that, thanks for your advice . . . .

I didn't read it right I guess you said funnel butts mom,I thought you said his mom was a funnel butt, my mistake. :dunce:

I think we all produce some feeders wether we know it or not, it's not the goal but it happens.Personally I like to keep some com. cows around to try some of my different bulls on.

It's a shame most everyone wants to buy bulls sired by a.i. bulls, alot of good herd bulls get over looked or just used for clean up.

I would not be too down on her. You got a live first calf. Cash your ~$465 stockyard check at 225 days of age and give her a couple of years to strut her stuff. Sometimes they put it in high gear after that first mediocre calf and sometimes they are just mediocre cows. Some of these high growth heifers are still growing themselves that second year so I don't see being too upset. NOW if you get the same performance when she is 4 or 5, then you got a problem.

I will have to say, he sure is a true Funnel butt .
Sometimes it just happens .

blk mule

Keren":8fupldgs said:
Now that is a FINE looking funnel butt!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It comes from hard work, research, and a comittment to excellence.

angus9259":i2b6kw4r said:
Here's a 3 mo bull calf out of Coneally Power One and SAF Focus of ER (mgs). Even the best genetics can land you with funnel butt! I keep checking him hoping he grew a butt since the last time I looked . . . he was supposed to have been a herdsire prospect.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... ves002.jpg

This young 3 mo is out of a simmi cross cow and my herd bull (from my own registered herd). Reminds me what they're supposed to look like. Unfortunately he won't make herd sire either. He weighed 100 lbs at birth and had to be pulled. That was a tough call. My daughter's going to take him to the fair.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... ves001.jpg

Can someone actually post the pics for me??
angus9259 - and - other posters on this thread-

I have been reading the comments on this 3 month old bull calf since his picture was presented here a few days ago, and have been wondering why everyone is so adament about insisting that this calf is a FUNNEL BUTT! Perhaps it is that the term "Funnel Butt" is not fully understood. That does seem a little strange, inasmuch as we have discussed the fact that it means A LACK OF MUSCLE DEVELOPMENT IN THE HINDQUARTERS OF A BEEF ANIMAL FROM THE PIN BONES DOWN TOWARD THE HOCKS. Showing that characteristic will indicate a lack of development in the LOWER hindquarters primarily, but it also manifests its characteristic in almost ALL the important areas of the animal - Loin, Shoulder, Top Round, and Gaskins etc.

Let's remember that this little bull is only three months old, and as such will not get his musculature development for several more months. Three months of age is too early to judge and analyze whether or not a bull calf is going to be satisfactory - or not - for developing into an acceptable herd sire.

The heifer calf shown in the picture ABOVE this calf IS a funnel butt! Looks like a black Jersey! But this little guy, with all of his under-developed physical traits (pinched heart girth and slightly sloping rump) DOES NOT appear to me - in this picture - to be a FUNNEL BUTT! Frankly, he shows better phenotype development to me than most 3 months old calves. He also shows pretty darned good bone development at this stage, and when his testosterone starts to kick in and his secondary male characteristics manifest themselves, he may be a very desirable sire prospect!

I am sorry if I have "burst" your bubble, but let's call these individuals the way that they really are. At ONLY 3 months!? Give him another year!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, please make note that BOTH animals pictured are bulls. The first one is the funnel butt, the second one is a more acceptable bull calf at the same age (as I know you are well aware). Just wanted to give you the heads up!

Respectfully ,

SJ89

shortyjock89":3km975y2 said:
Doc, please make note that BOTH animals pictured are bulls. The first one is the funnel butt, the second one is a more acceptable bull calf at the same age (as I know you are well aware). Just wanted to give you the heads up!

Respectfully ,

SJ89
SHEE-E-E-E-SH! :oops: :oops:

I had my eyes examined just two weeks ago (NO kiddin'!) and the Dr. said that my eyes were so good that I didn't even need to upgrade my glasses. Believe it or not! :???:

Well, at least you all know what I think of the OTHER little bull! :clap: :clap: :clap:

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts