High Head

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3txatht1 said:
The absolute worst I've been around was a pen of simbrah heifers.they were beautiful.. As soon as we pulled up to see them, all their heads went up.. And it was like watching a herd of deer... Up over and out of the corral... And we hadn't even got out of the truck yet...
If you're lucky, they just keep going..

ALACOWMAN":rdrjbewe said:
The absolute worst I've been around was a pen of simbrah heifers.they were beautiful.. As soon as we pulled up to see them, all their heads went up.. And it was like watching a herd of deer... Up over and out of the corral... And we hadn't even got out of the truck yet...

Lol. That would have been a sight to see.

Our first culling is at weaning, if one is high headed then or blows snot at she who is boss as it comes down the sorting alley it doesn't go to the keeper pen. As long as we don't have to mess with them those that become that way stay until the make a mistake. The more we get, the more they would rather keep their own kind as company.

Randi":20v0oxb2 said:
Those that run from you,outside,, are bad to run at you,inside...

Yup. If this one weighed more than 450 lbs he would be quite dangerous. He's interesting to handle. You mostly just set things up point him in the general direction you want him to go and get out of the way.

We just got rid of a cow like him. Plus she was a fence jumper. Took us 3 times to get her captured in the end. We would bring her in with a small group of quiet cattle, then open the gate you wanted her in and get out of the way. She'd be gone before the rest of the cows even knew what was going on.

With that little bunch of calves Randi, he is costing you more than he is worth. When is the next sale there. :D

gcreekrch":57ixmdzt said:
With that little bunch of calves Randi, he is costing you more than he is worth. When is the next sale there. :D

He is a PITA, but he will go to town with the rest in March. Not going to trouble ourselves over him. The rest of the calves are pretty quiet and the only one that follows him around is a POS that we raised (not sure how that happened).

He came in a group of bull calves we bought. Got them cheap enough, castrated them and we're backgrounding them till spring.

Randi":3kfb9hgu said:
gcreekrch":3kfb9hgu said:

He is a PITA, but he will go to town with the rest in March. Not going to trouble ourselves over him. The rest of the calves are pretty quiet and the only one that follows him around is a POS that we raised (not sure how that happened).

He came in a group of bull calves we bought. Got them cheap enough, castrated them and we're backgrounding them till spring.

He just hasn't forgiven you yet.....

I have a story about 3 carloads of Chilcotin 2 and 3 year old steers told me by a fine gentleman named Jim Wright.
Jim bought these steers nearly sixty years ago, Jim rode over the Great Divide nearly 30 of those years back. Anyway, he bought the steers from Tatla Lake Ranch and Chezacut Ranch. Jim told me they were some of the best quality and uniform Hereford steers he ever owned. His feedlot was at the Lower Mainland. Far more populous and busy than the wild Chilcotin steers were accustomed to and they would jump and run at any strange sound or movement. Good thing Jim's pens were well built and strong
After watching his purchases do nothing but spook and shrink for two weeks Jim got a bright idea.......
He and his help ran the whole works through the squeeze and sewed their eyes shut with catgut. Following their nose to the feed bunk and becoming accustomed to sound before they could see again, Jim told me they were almost gentle when the catgut rotted out.

Well our "worst" one definitely fits the profile, no surprise. She's knocked down some gates and tried to take the squeeze with her. When the vet shows up her head comes up. But she is halter broke, and once I get it on she's completely different

Thanks for all the input.

"High headed" is an expression - not a description of stature. I have some cattle that naturally hold their head up and are curious, not wild. When we call an animal "high headed", we mean they are over-the-top alert & ready to run.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":hibwnura said:
"High headed" is an expression - not a description of stature. I have some cattle that naturally hold their head up and are curious, not wild. When we call an animal "high headed", we mean they are over-the-top alert & ready to run.

Jeanne I know many cattlemen who want a bull that walks with their head up. They won't consider one that walks with it level or lower. I know what they are talking about. I cull anything that is hard to pen or that heads to the gate everytime they think you might close it. We handle our cattle slow and easy and hardly every have any issues. But did have to cull 2-3 of the Balancer sired heifers every year for being a little flighty. To me there is a difference in flghtiness and one that carries their head up. Usually there is just the two of us working our cattle and I'm 65 and she is 75 so don't keep anything around we can't pen and handle easy. But do want one that will protect a calf from a coyote as they are bad here.

elkwc":3r7y1cjt said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3r7y1cjt said:

Jeanne I know many cattlemen who want a bull that walks with their head up. They won't consider one that walks with it level or lower. I know what they are talking about. I cull anything that is hard to pen or that heads to the gate everytime they think you might close it. We handle our cattle slow and easy and hardly every have any issues. But did have to cull 2-3 of the Balancer sired heifers every year for being a little flighty. To me there is a difference in flghtiness and one that carries their head up. Usually there is just the two of us working our cattle and I'm 65 and she is 75 so don't keep anything around we can't pen and handle easy. But do want one that will protect a calf from a coyote as they are bad here.
There is a difference between high headed and carrying their head up. You can tell by the angle of the head which it is. I can;t describe the difference but once you've seen it you know it.

dun":1odfvstv said:
elkwc":1odfvstv said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1odfvstv said:

There is a difference between high headed and carrying their head up. You can tell by the angle of the head which it is. I can;t describe the difference but once you've seen it you know it.

I know the difference but many don't. I want an alert bull and cow but not a wild one or one that will hurt you. I've had several tell me I would cull her or wouldn't use him. Just because they are alert and raise their heads. Also how they are handled makes a difference. I bought a bred 2 y/o heifer at a sale and by the time I loaded her they had her so stirred up I told my good friend I would likely sell her when she calved. She is now one of the easiest to handle. Just don't try to do anything with her baby until it is a few weeks old. With the predator problem we have we need a very protective mother.

Ned Jr.":107wn0qd said:
I use the term "high headed" to describe a cow with a flighty disposition.

Ned I call a flighty cow what she is. I have seen breeders write in thier description of a bull that is high headed and will be able to cover country. I just read that again recently. Maybe it is how we were raised and how terms were used.

ALACOWMAN":2ydutiyu said:
Most high headed ones,are able to travel..... :nod:
That's pretty much what I was tihnking. Selling bulls and calling them high headed as a sales gimmick. The can really cover some ground, usually away from people.

I bought a really nice calm heifer at the salebarn some years ago. By the time we unloaded her she was a little spunky. Turned her into a pen with the other cows and she literally climbed the fence to get out (6 foot pipe corral). She disappeared for a couple of weeks and nver saw hide nor hair of her. One day I was bruch hogging and went by a patch of real think berry vines and noticed the top of her head slowly sink into the weeds. A couple of months later I would spot her with the rest of the cows but as soon as she saw me he wold take off and disappear again. It took about 6 months and she finally would stay with the cows but would never come to the catch pen. We ended up sneaking up on her and got 4 darts into her before she slowed down to where we could run her into the catch pen. Got her in and when she saw me she ran backwards (dam fast) up the alley and into the trailer. Hauled her straight to the sale barn. When I unloaded I warned them and every one laughed. That was until she started down the alleys and hooked and tossed a couple of dimwits over the panels. Only took a couple of weeks of welding to repair the trailer so that it could be used again.

elkwc":2iz4fwab said:
dun":2iz4fwab said:
elkwc":2iz4fwab said:

I know the difference but many don't. I want an alert bull and cow but not a wild one or one that will hurt you. I've had several tell me I would cull her or wouldn't use him. Just because they are alert and raise their heads. Also how they are handled makes a difference. I bought a bred 2 y/o heifer at a sale and by the time I loaded her they had her so stirred up I told my good friend I would likely sell her when she calved. She is now one of the easiest to handle. Just don't try to do anything with her baby until it is a few weeks old. With the predator problem we have we need a very protective mother.

I've bought lots of cows that were wound up in the ring and up to $400 cheaper than a gentle twin to her. Most settle down at home.

An old mentor of mine was asked back in the 70s why he owned all them wild black cows.

His reply was they weren't wild if you were cowman enough to handle them.

I've been told this is true with horses and women also...........

gcreekrch":1e5huf0f said:
elkwc":1e5huf0f said:
dun":1e5huf0f said:

I've bought lots of cows that were wound up in the ring and up to $400 cheaper than a gentle twin to her. Most settle down at home.

An old mentor of mine was asked back in the 70s why he owned all them wild black cows.

His reply was they weren't wild if you were cowman enough to handle them.

I've been told this is true with horses and women also...........

I was always taught it was true with cows and horses and have found that to be true. And no comment about the ladies. I usually don't have any trouble handling or penning our cattle. I walk through them everytime I'm around them. I was raised in country with a lot of predators and we have lots where I am running cows now. The old gentle cows usually won't protect a calf like one that is alert. The lady I'm in a relationship with has some older Brangus cows left. You don't have to worry about anything getting their calves. Many complain about how they are too handle. We have no issues. Also have seen way more people hurt by gentle cows and bulls than by those that show respect. Out of 100 head we have one that I rub her head sometimes. The others will stand 6" or further from you and you don't have to worry about them knocking you down. You let a stranger walk in the herd they will stay away. That her and I pen them before any help shows up.

Latest posts