High Head

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
I've seen it mentioned now a few times that I'd like to hear more insight, and didn't want to jack the thread(s) it was brought up in. What is the science and/or analysis behind the relationship between high headed cattle and docility, behavior, etc?

I know SOB brought it up at least once. I believe on the Capitalist 316 thread and maybe antoher. It got me thinking about my herd and those within it that have lower heads vs higher heads.
Thanks
Justin

High headed cattle are that way because they are always on the alert. Never have seen one that wasn't fairly wild/goofy. Their fight or flight reflex was hardwired to FLIGHT.

Fence is right. High-headed is a symptom of docility. They're carrying their head high because they're always looking for something to run from.

When cornered they're prone to injuring themselves trying to get away, even by going straight up a solid wall and
they can stir up the whole herd into thinking there is something to fear. They're just plain bad news.

Any of them will through their head up..if they Sence danger..the docile one will pop their heads up.then go back to business as usual...the idiots will take flight..had some,,and seen plenty..

ALACOWMAN":2cqzc06s said:
Any of them will through their head up..if they Sence danger..the docile one will pop their heads up.then go back to business as usual...the idiots will take flight..had some,,and seen plenty..
let one have a calf and she's double nutty....she will get in your pants much quicker and for absolutely no reason.

TexasBred":14lqnfka said:
ALACOWMAN":14lqnfka said:
let one have a calf and she's double nutty....she will get in your pants much quicker and for absolutely no reason.
I've had a few get up close and personal over the years without a calf..that's was back when I could move around like a cat, now I have to knock em out of the way..i never thought I was ever going to get em on this side of docile..this Occ bull Im using..is making puppys out of em...Thank the Lord...

ALACOWMAN":14dgx4sa said:
TexasBred":14dgx4sa said:
ALACOWMAN":14dgx4sa said:
I've had a few get up close and personal over the years without a calf..that's was back when I could move around like a cat, now I have to knock em out of the way..i never thought I was ever going to get em on this side of docile..this Occ bull Im using..is making puppys out of em...Thank the Lord...

For the most part, those are the ones that always bring a calf home from our predator infested range. There is a line though......

gcreekrch":3do3mqd1 said:
ALACOWMAN":3do3mqd1 said:
TexasBred":3do3mqd1 said:

There is a line though......
yep! and they can be great at showing you,exactly where it's located :)

TexasBred":2i6juilg said:

I've got a younger one that hasn't calved before that should be having a calf soon. She's scared of her own shadow, so I'm hoping she'll be more inclined to back off than run me over when I go to check the calf. Her mom will turn around and walk off leaving you to mess with the calf, so I'm hoping this passed down. Doesn't much matter b/c they'll both be gone by the fall anyway.

20171222_085410_800x620.jpg

And here's why they don't gain as well as calmer cattle. The one in the background is pretty much a nutcase. He has one pal that will run with him, but even she's not so spooky that she won't come eat if we're anywhere in sight.

Randi":1837wesz said:
20171222_085410_800x620.jpg

And here's why they don't gain as well as calmer cattle. The one in the background is pretty much a nutcase. He has one pal that will run with him, but even she's not so spooky that she won't come eat if we're anywhere in sight.
Those that run from you,outside,, are bad to run at you,inside...

There is a fine line and the only way to learn it is experience.

We have quite a few high headed cattle but they still respect people.

My most dangerous animal right now is a Hereford Bull that was hand fed by his previous owner... not a high headed cow.

The absolute worst I've been around was a pen of simbrah heifers.they were beautiful.. As soon as we pulled up to see them, all their heads went up.. And it was like watching a herd of deer... Up over and out of the corral... And we hadn't even got out of the truck yet...

I worked on an outfit years ago and we ran some Brangus bulls. We had about 1000 heifers, and when you went into the field anywhere near them you could count the Brangus cross heifers as easy as pie as they ALL had their heads up in the air.

Those that run from you,outside,, are bad to run at you,inside...

Yup. If this one weighed more than 450 lbs he would be quite dangerous. He's interesting to handle. You mostly just set things up point him in the general direction you want him to go and get out of the way.

We just got rid of a cow like him. Plus she was a fence jumper. Took us 3 times to get her captured in the end. We would bring her in with a small group of quiet cattle, then open the gate you wanted her in and get out of the way. She'd be gone before the rest of the cows even knew what was going on.

If I remember correctly, we went to a meeting one time and a packer buyer was the speaker. My two take away tidbits from tapresentation was high headed cattle wold quite often be dark cutter which is very undesirable. The other was more purebred breeders needed to buy sharp knife.

Gizmom

Neighbor had a bunch of smaller cows, they would literally stand and shake when you were around them when penned. When they couldn't stand it any longer they would drop their heads and plow under the portable panels. Then they bought a Saler bull.