High $$$$ HAY!

Help Support CattleToday:

Hayes' Farms

Reaction score
Here in Warren Co. KY we are really short on hay, so those that have hay are making it hard on us. The fella that ownes the livestock market went to Kansas and bought 25 1400lbs 4x4x8 big square bales of grass hay, They auctioned it off today and it went for $90.

Hayes' Farms":1ooq042e said:
Here in Warren Co. KY we are really short on hay, so those that have hay are making it hard on us. The fella that ownes the livestock market went to Kansas and bought 25 1400lbs 4x4x8 big square bales of grass hay, They auctioned it off today and it went for $90.

800 pound squares shipped from Canada are $100 here. Shipping is $1,600 per load to this area. Fuel cost is driving the price. Supply, demand ,plus shipping and fuel adjustment charge. :roll: Sounds like you got a deal on that hay. :lol:

droughts are no fun.an they will drive the price of hay up.but still $90ea for big sq bales is cheap.it hurts when you have to buy over priced hay or sell out.here this year ive fund people wanting to sell hay for $15 to $20 a bale.an last year the same hay would sell for $75 a bale or more.

bigbull338":3sdko9ed said:
droughts are no fun.an they will drive the price of hay up.but still $90ea for big sq bales is cheap.it hurts when you have to buy over priced hay or sell out.here this year ive fund people wanting to sell hay for $15 to $20 a bale.an last year the same hay would sell for $75 a bale or more.

Drought is not the only factor in driving hay prices higher.

Fuel, labor, land prices, equipment costs, and fertilizer adds to equation.

It's about time some hay folks might be getting the money due them for hay.

I live about an hour east of Dallas. We looked at shipping some hay to Alabama and the transportation costs wer going to be $40 per roll plus the cost of the hay. It would make the hay cost about $75 per roll for good fertilized hay (that is selling the hay for cost of production - fertilizer and baling costs).

MikeC":3szhpgbk said:
bigbull338":3szhpgbk said:

you an i both know if everyone made a decent profit.there would be alot of hungry people in this old world.an alot of cattlemen would sell their cows an quit.so we all do the cattle thing for fun.an yes i know theres alot of parttime cattlemen on this board.

I haven't said very much about the high cost of hay. The local hay is selling for the same amount that shipped in hay is going for. The local guys don't have as much to sell as usual, so they're not raking in fistfuls of money. The cost of shipped in hay is mostly to cover transportation, so that hay farmer is not raking in fistfuls of money, either. So, we are trying to come up with the cheapest ration using corn stalks and by-products.
I will say I have seen one ad that I think the man is gouging, if he gets a buyer. He was offering his double crop soybeans at $225/acre, buyer bales it. I haven't seen a field in our county that would make a ton/acre of double crop soybean hay, and he is in our county. We have a neighbor that cut his first crop beans as hay, made about 1700 lbs/acre. Insurance adjuster estimated they would have made 3 bu/acre. I don't know of any doublecrop beans around here that will do better than that this year. All I can say about the guy asking $225/acre is this: what goes around, comes around.

For the heck of it, I googled the mileage and from here, there would be $33/bale in freight.

Do you have any cotton gins in your area? Gin trash is free. That added to a syrup tank can help stretch your hay out some.

Hayes' Farms":2vfjwcp6 said:
here in a normal year it takes about 5 6x6 rolls pre head. At $90 thats almost a calf.

It all go's back to the old saying make hay while the sun is shining. Were you stockpiling extra hay when it was cheap?
Those auction barn checks looked pretty good on that cheap hay huh? Droughts are part of this business as well as planning for them.

You got that right caustic.
hay around here is still running 25-35 per big round bales.

Jogeephus":2herzrss said:
Do you have any cotton gins in your area? Gin trash is free. That added to a syrup tank can help stretch your hay out some.

Could you explain how you use the gin trash. Do you just pile it up to store it? Is this trash the hull? I remember my Grandpa's feed mix would have some cotton seed hulls.

My son & I only have 7 head, but we are trying to make it the cheapest way we can. We have planted some winter rye -that came up pretty well. We have access to some cheap rice bran ($80/ton) that we can supplement through the winter if need be. They are due to calve in Feb.

bigbull338":118dveqr said:
MikeC":118dveqr said:
bigbull338":118dveqr said:

you an i both know if everyone made a decent profit.there would be alot of hungry people in this old world.an alot of cattlemen would sell their cows an quit.so we all do the cattle thing for fun.an yes i know theres alot of parttime cattlemen on this board.

I have no earthly idea what you are trying to say. :oops:

there is a gin in midville,ga that would put gin trash into a module and sell it that way. cows ate the trash before the hay.

what im saying is this if everyone was paying high prices for their hay they would be selling their cows.you guys gripe about the drought.well its life.an yes hay goes up 4 or 5 times what its worth because of the drought.example you can buy here for $35 a bale at the farm.haul it 600mi an the same bale of hay will cost you $100 a bale.an most people will sell their cows before they pay that.

what im saying is this if everyone was paying high prices for their hay they would be selling their cows.

Good. Then there will be more in it for the rest.

yes hay goes up 4 or 5 times what its worth because of the drought.

It's "worth" is what you can get for it. Don't buy it if you can't afford it.

Are you denying that there are other factors besides drought that affects hay prices?

What's all this got to do with hungry people? :roll:

Arkieman":a9wgpfvm said:
Jogeephus":a9wgpfvm said:

Could you explain how you use the gin trash. Do you just pile it up to store it? Is this trash the hull? I remember my Grandpa's feed mix would have some cotton seed hulls.

My son & I only have 7 head, but we are trying to make it the cheapest way we can. We have planted some winter rye -that came up pretty well. We have access to some cheap rice bran ($80/ton) that we can supplement through the winter if need be. They are due to calve in Feb.

If you have a gin in your area, they will haul give you the gin trash if you pay the freight.(I guess I should say some will) They will biring it to you in a module form and unload it with their truck. Best thing to do is to put panels around it and put up a creep gate or something to keep them from walking all over it. If done this way, there will be very little waste. The gin trash will have cotton seed, hulls, limbs and cotton in it. It looks like "trash" but the cows will leave hay to eat it. Last load I bought cost me $180 and the cows ate on it for a month.

The way I normally do it though is to have them dump it in the field by a syrup tank. When they spoil it and quit eating it, I compost the rest and use it for earthworms and tomato plants.

Latest posts