Hi-Tensile fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Rogerwilco

Reaction score
Is 4 or 6 strand hi-tensile fence considered adequate for containing cattle without power?
Is a 8 or 9 strand hi-tensile fence suitable for building pens, or are there other options that work better?

4 trands of barbed high tensile is adequate, 5 is much better. Pens need to be more substantial. Not only does it need to be a physcal barrier it should also be a psychological barrier. The have to know they can;t escape.

dun

Rogerwilco":3fccbwyq said:
Is 4 or 6 strand hi-tensile fence considered adequate for containing cattle without power?
Is a 8 or 9 strand hi-tensile fence suitable for building pens, or are there other options that work better?
As I define hi tensile fence, I wouldn't consider even 6 strands adequate without power. Really needs to be electrified.

There are better options for pens, in my opinion.

We use four strands, all electric. If not, they'll push through it, no matter if it's six or eight strands.

We have 5 strains of high tensile electrified but we rarely turn it on now, they all touched it once...fryed em. Now they wont go with in 2 feet of it. Sure is nicer then chasing then all over the golf courses green 4, I'm sure they appreciate it too. :roll:
Krysti

Rogerwilco":1s4u4dhk said:

I would use barbed wire if you're not going/able to electrify it.

No. The cattle can go through it too easily, and you're basically 'training' them to test their boundaries. I would use either railroad ties or utility poles sunk to a depth of 5 or 6 feet, or iron posts sunk to a depth of 6 feet or so with the end posts bigger than the inline posts and cemented in (if going this route, making the bottom of the hole wider than the top helps to prevent frost heave). If using railroad ties or utility poles I would then nail 2X6's or 2X12's every 4 to 6" to a height of at least 6'. If using iron posts I would use 3 highway guard rails welded at a distance of about 6" apart and topped with a iron pipe welded at a distance of 6-8" above that so my overall height was at least 6'. I would also not start my fence much higher than 4" or so to prevent cows from delivering under the fence and calves from laying down on one side and ending up on the other.

In Progressive Farmer, maybe early this year or last year, they had a rancher that made a pen out of old telephone poles and high tensile fence.

CowpokeJ":2ww2nn1g said:
In Progressive Farmer, maybe early this year or last year, they had a rancher that made a pen out of old telephone poles and high tensile fence.

Did they publish the follow-up of how many hours he spent chasing cattle down?

We have been using for some time now, 4 stands hi-tensile for fences & 6 strands for our pen - all electrified. Our cows are pretty tame so maybe that is why our 6 strand pen works for us. I only once had a crazy 1000+ steer try to break out & he managed to wedge himself in the stands & would have died from electric shock treatment had I not turned the power off.

I don't think anybody runs smooth hi-tensile without electricity on it for any length of time. I saw one go up a fews years back w/o being electrified & saw it get torn down last year.

Latest posts