Hi mag and grass tetany

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We normally put the cows on hi mag the beginning of march then turn them out on straight green grass the middle of march. This year the grass didn;t come on like it usually did but all of a sudden it's going gangbusters. I put the cows on hi mag monday, how long do they need to be on it before I can turn them out on green grass with a worry of grass tetany?

Thanks

dun":stpj2h6w said:
We normally put the cows on hi mag the beginning of march then turn them out on straight green grass the middle of march. This year the grass didn;t come on like it usually did but all of a sudden it's going gangbusters. I put the cows on hi mag monday, how long do they need to be on it before I can turn them out on green grass with a worry of grass tetany?

Thanks

I'm going to say that your not out of the woods yet. I switched in February, but they have eaten very little. I have the same worry, just from a different angle.

Would be good if they could have been on the hi mag for the past 30 days but if your regular mineral has 2-3% mag they should be ok.

Grass usually starts here in March (last year it was a month late because winter stuck around so long) and I usually switch to high Mg in mid February. Feb is still cold wet miserable here and my cows aren't very active other than going from hay rings to water and won't eat much mineral at all, so I pull their salt temporarily when I put out the hi-mag and they seem to take a little more min when I do. No matter what tho, I too, always worry but haven't had any tetany trouble--yet.

For some reason 1 month comes to mind but I would ask your feedstuffs guy to be sure.

Is there anything wrong with keeping them on high mag year 'round as long as it contains everything else they need too? That's what some farmers around my area say they do, and I notice some of you say the same, but I also know that some people don't.

dun":2n26clev said:

Thanks
Dun, are your cows calving now or do they have small calves on them. Also what % is the hi mag you are using. I see mineral they call hi mag with 4% to 14%. I have always thought that if the cows are well fed its not as big an issue anyway. That being said I keep mine on Crystalyx Fescuelyx hi mag from early November until May 1 or so because I graze a lot in the winter.

Just my opinion here dont bet your cows on it. If they are well feed and in good condition i would get them on himag but i would go head and let them at the new grass. If they are coming off hay they have probably been getting adequate mag. Clover is usually hi in mag. Tetany not usually a problem in young still growing animals. Moderate risk in adult dry cows , high risk in older cows nursing calves. High risk in thin hungry cattle.

Latest posts