Hi from Aus & new to this!

Help Support CattleToday:

Havinago

Reaction score
Hi guys, i joined this site as i struggled to find a decent Aus site. Well i own a 320 acre cattle property which is fully setup, many dams, holing yards ramps etc. It was bought as an investment and has had cattle on it most of its life. Ive tried aggistment 3 times with no success. Now im keen on giving it a go myself.

Im thinking about putting some weaner steers on there just to try and keep it a bit simple. Sound like a good idea? I have a friend up where the property is that says its easy but ive learnt that nothing is easy if your inexperienced! Im thinking about buying steers around 6 mths old.

My main question is whats the go with spraying/ dipping them?? How often do you have to do this?? Ive heard you can just rub some stuff across there backs?? I am lead to believe that flys can be a problem as well? There is plenty of feed there was 70 head on there that couldnt keep up so thats all good. Im sure ill have some silly questions but theres only one way to learn i say!!

Appreciate any replies,

Thanks, Havinago..

Welcome Havinago, there are a couple of us Australians and others that keep in touch on Australian Talk in the Coffee Shop, drop in there and say hellow.
Your question re ticks suggests that you are coastal Qld. If you let us know approx where it will help to answer your question. Yep some of the newer pouron and injectible wormers will also control ticks for a period.
As for stocking with steers, that sounds like a good idea, least trouble if you are only there part time and if plenty of feed you should be able to turn them over at the same time each year and get another lot. If you are registered for GST it would be better, otherwise you will lose that 10% every year.
Ken

I am interested to hear about your aggistment experiences. What part of that process did you find made it difficult?

Burglar we have tried people doing work for aggistment and they hardly ever showed. Tried payment per head and the guy has been 6 mths behind the whole time and looks like we'll have to take it to legal action to get the $ for the remaining as he does a runner. Messy rather not go into it too much but done with the whole aggistment thing. Good luck to others going down this path!

Latest posts