Hey guys, I'm new! Want to get y'all's opinion of my plan

Help Support CattleToday:

Rcole1310

Reaction score
First of all, I'm so happy to see the wealth of info on this site. I wanted to get y'all's thoughts on the operation I've started. First let me say my goal is to be running 100-200 head when I retire in about 15 years. It'll keep me active and its always been a dream of mine. I'm hoping to custom graze for now. I'm not planning to buy a ranch or a bunch of equipment anytime soon. Wanted to start small to make/learn from my mistakes and build the heard on leased land close to me. Then move the whole heard to my old family farm when I retire and can be more active in it.
1. I wanted help to start off. A buddy recommended a cowboy that works for a large cattle company in East Texas, he's trying to start his own custom grazing business and he's leased 65 acres of land across the road from him. It's 50 acres grazable and the rest is coastal Bahia paddocks that are off limits to the cows. I pay him $22 per head per month to feed, work, doctor, etc the cattle. He's done a great job so far. I pop up about every week or two to check everything. So far so good with him (fingers crossed).

2. The place had 7 heavy bred F1 baldies 4-6 years old and a 6 year old full angus bull on it. I bought all of them for for $1500 a piece. See photos. Well, 4 calved in Dec, 3 more to calve soon.

The cowboy thinks I should sell them all at 450 pounds and use the money to buy open cows or bred cows. He says he doesn't like to spend time/money raising heifers that may not produce and their first calves can sometimes bring less. Plus I think he may be getting a little cut every time he sets up a private treaty deal (I don't mind since he's doing the legwork). The question is do I just keep my heifers to grow the heard or sell and buy the "proven" cows? Also, he says he can pick out 5 good heavy bred cows from a lot that just came in and get them all for $5500. They calve in 30 days. I keep them 30 days then sell 3 cow/calf pairs for $4500. I basically get the other two pair for $500. What are y'all's opinions and questions that I should be asking? I know I left out a lot of detail to spare you the reading.Thanks in advance!
cow11.JPG
[/url][/img]
[img][/img]

Howdy Rcole, Well it's good to have a plan.
Your cowboy's advice seems sound to me. IF you get a couple heifer calves that you like exceptionally well you can add them to the herd, but I wouldn't count on getting any. It's tough to find a bull that performs for both terminal and replacements. IF in the future you want to raise your own replacement heifers, I would suggest A.I. breeding your best cows for specific replacement traits [1 service] then clean up with your bull. BUT A.I. can be a real hassle if you aren't set up for it.
F1 females are the way to go and like I said, I think your cowboy is giving you sound advice.
Plus for him to be successful it's in his best interest for you to succeed.
Best of luck to ya Rcole. s-o-b

Seems like a decent enough plan. I would not however buy open cows unless they have a calf at side. No reason to buy somebody else's cull

Jake":2vo71mg3 said:
Seems like a decent enough plan. I would not however buy open cows unless they have a calf at side. No reason to buy somebody else's cull

+1

Bred cows in moderate condition. You don't know what they had to do, if anything, to get her bred.

Aint no where around here where u could get heavy bred cows for $1100 a piece! Sounds too good to be true, but hey, more power to your cowboy if can swing the deal. Those are prices I paid for heavy bred RA /F1's back 6 years ago.
Good luck

Anyone that knows me knows my take on heifers.
There is absolutely no reason to retain heifers in a commercial operation.
They are a crap shoot number one and they will cost you as much or more by the time they reach production.
Retained heifer die calving or just fall over dead there is no write off tax wise.
You are money ahead to purchase heavies that know how to work.
And last but not least a Hereford or Braford cow. Preferably braford.
With a red cow I can change the calf crop by changing the bull.
If I want red baldies run a Hereford black an Angus or Brangus high yellow a Char.
In East Texas you want some Brimmer the heifers will fetch a premium as replacements.
Lot of people relearned brimmer 101 during the droughts.

Limomike":1mhjqfyz said:
Aint no where around here where u could get heavy bred cows for $1100 a piece! Sounds too good to be true, but hey, more power to your cowboy if can swing the deal. Those are prices I paid for heavy bred RA /F1's back 6 years ago.
Good luck

I was wondering if he was promising something he might not be able to deliver. Haven't heard back yet about that deal but I'll see.

Caustic Burno":1mhjqfyz said:
Anyone that knows me knows my take on heifers.
There is absolutely no reason to retain heifers in a commercial operation.
They are a crap shoot number one and they will cost you as much or more by the time they reach production.
Retained heifer die calving or just fall over dead there is no write off tax wise.
You are money ahead to purchase heavies that know how to work.
And last but not least a Hereford or Braford cow. Preferably braford.
With a red cow I can change the calf crop by changing the bull.
If I want red baldies run a Hereford black an Angus or Brangus high yellow a Char.
In East Texas you want some Brimmer the heifers will fetch a premium as replacements.
Lot of people relearned brimmer 101 during the droughts.
Thanks a bunch for this info. Exactly what I wanted to know. Especially since you're in E. Texas also. I also noticed that different Sale barns seem to be getting different prices as well. The one in Nacogdoches Texas seems like they pay low compared to others in Texas.

You can't win trying to haul your calves to different salebarns, you will burn up your extra dollars in fuel.
Crockett usually pays the best just due to the number of buyers. The rest are all about the same.
You run through Livingston this week and they will have 6 order buyers and all the calves ring the bell
next week they have 3 order buyers. With your numbers get with neighbors and friends make a trailer load and go to Crockett
that way several of yall can split the fuel. Put a pencil to it first you still might be better off hauling to Nacogdoches.

Latest posts