Hey Dun

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":5jf720hc said:
Hill Creek Farm":5jf720hc said:
Well, we have had 6" of rain this week, so don't blow anymore rain up this way or this way Dun. Ground is way to saturated as it is now. Its been very seasonal here where I live with highs in the high 70's low 80's with a very nice breeze. :cboy:

What is is rain stuff people keep mentioning?

dun

You know, it's that liquid stuff that falls from the sky and messes up a hay harvest!

MoGal":16l5yypy said:
The fiance has been out in this for the last ten days combining fescue working 12-13 hours a day and they've got another 10 days to go.

All I know about fescue is that if it is the endophyte type it can cause problems with one's herd if the cattle are not used to it. That having been said, why is your fiance combining fescue? :???: Am I wrong in thinking the seed is too fine to be harvested with a combine, or is this a special kind of combine?

msscamp":2tm7d0zi said:
MoGal":2tm7d0zi said:
The fiance has been out in this for the last ten days combining fescue working 12-13 hours a day and they've got another 10 days to go.

All I know about fescue is that if it is the endophyte type it can cause problems with one's herd if the cattle are not used to it. That having been said, why is your fiance combining fescue? :???: Am I wrong in thinking the seed is too fine to be harvested with a combine, or is this a special kind of combine?

The reason for combining it is because this year it's bringing 50 cents a pound rather then the more comoon 30-35 like it has in the past.
There are specific innards for combines to harvest different types of seeds. I don;t know the particulars of what gets changed since when we harvest fescue seed a neighbor comes over and does it. He can change things over to harvest corn, WW or fescue.

dun

Brandonm2":lw9oh11s said:
MoGal":lw9oh11s said:
well send that low humidity this way dun as yesterday it was 59% humidity, but at least its been down this past week from the week before. The fiance has been out in this for the last ten days combining fescue working 12-13 hours a day and they've got another 10 days to go. But he loves every aspect of farming and says it don't wear him out.

Shoot, the way those combines are built today with sound proof air conditioned cabs, stereo, and steering that a 12 year old girl could handle it certainly shouldn't wear him out. He ought to be able to go square dancing after 12 hours of modern combining.

That is true for the combines made today.
But because of the size of the fields here everybody uses combines made 30-40 years ago.
gleanercombine.jpg

Thank you dun for sending that lower humidity.... but.. (the weatherman just said a few minutes ago humidity was 39% but the temp is 98 and its like an oven outside with no air or is to me.)

dj has it right.... the mentor has 3 combines all about 30-40 yrs old (they are a little bit bigger than that pic but the same brand name) and they just put fans in them this year.

The combines are like dun said and here the fescue is bringing 45 cents lb done on a 50/50 share. Many of them go behind the combine as it only takes off the top six inches or so (it takes the seed and spits out the stem) and they are cutting, raking and baling hay.

Sorry to get off topic dun.

MoGal":14s58lun said:
Thank you dun for sending that lower humidity.... but.. (the weatherman just said a few minutes ago humidity was 39% but the temp is 98 and its like an oven outside with no air or is to me.)

dj has it right.... the mentor has 3 combines all about 30-40 yrs old (they are a little bit bigger than that pic but the same brand name) and they just put fans in them this year.

The combines are like dun said and here the fescue is bringing 45 cents lb done on a 50/50 share. Many of them go behind the combine as it only takes off the top six inches or so (it takes the seed and spits out the stem) and they are cutting, raking and baling hay.

Sorry to get off topic dun.

When we combined the fescue seed we cut ahy right behind and baled it. Had the cutter set to only cut about 6-8 inches of the seed stalk.
Pretty decent hay compared to some I saw that year.

dun

dun":2843a8j0 said:
msscamp":2843a8j0 said:
MoGal":2843a8j0 said:

The reason for combining it is because this year it's bringing 50 cents a pound rather then the more comoon 30-35 like it has in the past.
There are specific innards for combines to harvest different types of seeds. I don;t know the particulars of what gets changed since when we harvest fescue seed a neighbor comes over and does it. He can change things over to harvest corn, WW or fescue.

dun

That would certainly be a good reason to combine it! :lol: :lol: Thanks for the info, Dun, I sure appreciate it. :) I knew header bars could be changed to harvest wheat vs corn, but I did not know a combine could be modified to harvest fescue seed.

dun":1u5p7gnm said:
Hill Creek Farm":1u5p7gnm said:
Well, we have had 6" of rain this week, so don't blow anymore rain up this way or this way Dun. Ground is way to saturated as it is now. Its been very seasonal here where I live with highs in the high 70's low 80's with a very nice breeze. :cboy:

What is is rain stuff people keep mentioning?

dun
I don't know what your talking about? Your comment didn't make since to me. :cboy:

Latest posts