Hey Julian: Want to trade?

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
I took my OCC Legend 916S bull over to Pontiac to get him collected yesterday and was there for a couple of hours and the mission was successful. :) Got enough for a couple of hundred straws. Will you trade me a cane of Boaz for a cane of 916S when I come out Dwight?

Boston_and_cows_213.jpg

In case you forgot what he looks like... :)

How many units of Boaz semen would you have to have in exchange for a "Meadow Oaks" Legend daughter? :?:
Would ask you about trading with a son of Boaz instead, but as for Boaz sons I'm sold out of all but one Fall '09 calf and two April '10 bull calves. And I have someone looking at the April calves with a lot of interest.

KMac,
I would also consider any spare daughters of Norm or Ruler. :nod:
Might take you up on the semen trade also as I have a good friend that may be interested in some 916S semen for his program.

Julian":39k0xlqh said:
KMac,
I would also consider any spare daughters of Norm or Ruler. :nod:
Might take you up on the semen trade also as I have a good friend that may be interested in some 916S semen for his program.

We have several Norm calves and they are looking pretty good so far, they came small but are quickly getting thick. I am looking forward to seeing them as yearlings.

Just out of curiosity - what's the main driver for collecting a bull like this - granted, an outstanding bull. Is it to sell semen? To guarantee future breedings? It seems OCC semen from some of their other bulls would be more economical, allow you to pursue the program you like, maintain some genetic diversity, etc . . .

Not being critical - thought of doing it myself with a real nice bandolier son I have, but can't exactly figure out why I'd do that when the angus world is so heavily populated with inexpensive semen off some pretty top rate bulls . . .

Well, primarily, I really like the calves that I am getting from him, the bull calves are very uniform and the ones that I have sold this spring as bulls are peas in a pod. They exhibit his muscle pattern and are thick. They were little when they were born and grew very well on very limited feed. I have had reports from their new owners that they are very aggressive breeders, 39 cm to 42 cm as yearlings on scrotal with excellent semen quality.

The steers are going out now as grassfed beef to rave reviews as did the ones I sold last year. Tender and flavorful on grass.

I have posted pictures of the yearling heifers and also the two year olds. The two year olds bred to Norm calved easily and have beautiful even udders with "little finger" sized teats. They are thick, correct, good dispositioned and most calved in Late April and early May and are cycling again already, although I won't breed them until July 20th.

In short, I think that I might just have something here.

At the very least I want to have some on hand in case something happens to him. I have also had several inquiries from people that want to use him. One guy wanted to buy him, but alas, he is not for sale.

I guess that I am very pleased with what he is doing for us. Problem free cattle are what I like and he hasn't caused me any problems.

angus9259":8ppao2dn said:
Just out of curiosity - what's the main driver for collecting a bull like this - granted, an outstanding bull. Is it to sell semen? To guarantee future breedings? It seems OCC semen from some of their other bulls would be more economical, allow you to pursue the program you like, maintain some genetic diversity, etc . . .

Not being critical - thought of doing it myself with a real nice bandolier son I have, but can't exactly figure out why I'd do that when the angus world is so heavily populated with inexpensive semen off some pretty top rate bulls . . .

I would imagine it could be for "in-herd closer line breeding" for acquiring replacement heifers. That would make for stabilizing consistent phenotype and anchoring-in genetics for any crossbreeding protocols in the future.

Just my opinion.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts