Hey Bez!!

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
I always get a kick out of you talking about a cow or two that will eat you for breakfast. Wondering if you think this cow looks like she has that potential?

redeye.jpg
[/img]

I'm not Bez, and I look forward to his reply. But I'd like to comment that she has little ogre ears and what my son refers to as "mean eyes". She's also sort of rocked back on her heels, like a cuttin' horse, like she is ready to get in your shorts or get the heck out of there. Maybe she's still mad about not having any horns? Otherwise, nice looking cow. Now, I guess, I'll wait for the reply that she is a show animal pet. Coat and tail kind of look like it.

I'm with the Doc on this one.

Mean face. Eyes spaced a bit further apart - I have one almost exactly like this - with a beautiful set of horns. Maybe she's about to take off?

Any trees near by? :shock:

In any event, they all have potential - fortunately most do not use it.

He's nailed it to a tee - and we'll probably both be laughed at - next pic will probably show her eating out of your hand.

Love to see pics.

OK - I have bitten - anyone else with a prediction?

Doc - mine pretty much all have horns - so they're never mad about having lost them.

I am off to feed cows - forgot to plug the tractor in last night - so had a bit of time this morning.

Waiting for the answer.

:D

Bez

Just for fun I'll concur with both replies. Something about how those ears are cocked. She's good looking but there's something about her aspect that says she's getting ready to start pawing the earth and shaking her head. OK, I too am ready to hear that she's meek as a kitten. Never have claimed to be able to judge cattle over the www.

Craig-TX

I rthink the paint job around her eyes gives her a wilder eyed look then may really be there since you can't really see the eyes themselves. But any of them have the potential to eat your lunch (or eat you for lunch) if given the right situation.

dun

Jake has an unfair advantage on this one.
She has never been shown. She is a '94 model Polled Hereford. Had a nasty old saler recip mamma. And was a quick study. She goes every bit of a ton the day she drops a 100 lb calf.

She is also the reason for the flat bed that is now on the farm truck.

And the year we showed her steer calf, well, it is a wonder no one got hurt getting that calf to the barn! I roped him from my then green cow horse, proceded to drag him to the coral all the while she is trying to get my horse. Finally got the calf loaded and into the barn. She ran the fence clear to the barn. Tore the side of the barn off (rough cut lumber). Luckly by then we had him in what we thought was a bull pen. She mangled 3 panel gates, broke a post off in the barn and we now have a "redeye" proof bull pen.

She hates all things little, dogs and kids included. But will let a crow sit on the bridge of her nose and eat flys.

Have to hurry to put the bale ring over the hay or she puts it in the holler. And those are 1800lb bales.

We have a field full of her offspring. But we make sure that they have enough human contact to not act too much like her.

The next question is probably gonna be "why do you keep her". Well, anyone that has an excellent producing cow for as long as she has been around will more than likely tell you that she makes you too much money to ship on attitude. She does not rile the other cows up, and untill weaning time she does not tear things up unless you mess with her calves. And keeps to herself when she is dry.

That photo was taken with a zoom lens, but she was dry.

Here is the steer from the story above. His name is Walhbash (wall bash)
Did real well for the girl that showed him, Reserve high points hereford in the OCA Best shows. He was docile as a kitty.

Walhbash.jpg
[/img]

This sounds a bit like the tame bull thread :shock: I guess I must be getting old but there are not any calves that are worth that kind of risk to my old brittle bones or my life!!!!! The expected income from this cow will not make up for hospital bills or loss of life. It's amazing to me that people will shun breeds of cattle because of disposition but will keep a mean individual because they make them money.
your friend
Mike

I did not start this thread with the intention of getting into an argument. It was purely for entertainment. If you know what to expect out of the cow she will never get close to you. It is that fact that her and I have an understanding. I'm sure Bez understands, and that is all I was after.
It is not like I try to pet her every day, Matter of fact I NEVER turn be back on her.

I'd flush her a couple times for future progeny and ship her. That is assuming that her calves don't carry her temperament. And even in that case, I'd only breed her to extremely docile bulls.

I say this for two reasons: #1 Your own safety. #2 Disposition is one of the most important traits that Herefords are known for, and we need to keep it that way. No offense, Cert. Take Care.

When we ran our gals on a big pasture in the middle of no where, it was animals like this that kept the calves alive. No dogs ever bothered the babies.

Just gotta' respect them and have the facilities to handle them.

Funny how some of them even look the part of mean mommas.

Bez

Bez":2ygvflyt said:
When we ran our gals on a big pasture in the middle of no where, it was animals like this that kept the calves alive. No dogs ever bothered the babies.

Bez

I agree 100% Bez.

greenwillow, no offence taken. But I did mention that we get ahold of her calves and make sure they tolerate us a little better than she does. The steer in the pic was a sweetheart. Just your typical spoiled show calf.

Had the major malfunction in catching the steer because he was the only one we brought in. If we do it in a group we don't have too much trouble.
And willow, don't worry...she is the only one here that acts like that. Shipped one in the fall that actually got my breakfast! She only had one strike but didn't get the chance to swing 2 more times after I was laid up for a while.

Bez":p5unbdyk said:

Bez

Bez, I realize that you have forgotten more than I'll ever know about the business, but I have cattle, L1M for instance, that will lick my shirt sleeve like I was another of their calves, but not only will they protect their calves from predators, they will protect me and my family! I was holding my baby daughter next to the fence so she could watch the cows. A big steer started to reach his nose across to sniff her, and L1M wouldn't allow him to do it.

certherfbeef":2gsy9f0b said:
Bez":2gsy9f0b said:

Bez

I agree 100% Bez.

greenwillow, no offence taken. But I did mention that we get ahold of her calves and make sure they tolerate us a little better than she does. The steer in the pic was a sweetheart. Just your typical spoiled show calf.

Had the major malfunction in catching the steer because he was the only one we brought in. If we do it in a group we don't have too much trouble.
And willow, don't worry...she is the only one here that acts like that. Shipped one in the fall that actually got my breakfast! She only had one strike but didn't get the chance to swing 2 more times after I was laid up for a while.

You should have kept that cow, she was doing a better job than the first cow if she caught up with you!!! Like I said if you want to spend time on your back for the chance to sell a good steer calf that is fine, but you will never justify a cow like that to most producers.
your friend
Mike

Cert - this comment made me bust out laughing - truer words have never been spoken!

You should have kept that cow, she was doing a better job than the first cow if she caught up with you!!!

Too bad those two and my old brindle had not been in the field one night some time ago when a few folks rolled in and rounded up about 8 - 10 cows and almost as many calves. Never saw them or the aniomals again.

Long enough ago that I am well and truly over it - browned me off at the time tho' :D

THAT would have been entertaining. 8)

Bez

Have any of you heard of judging a cows dispostion by the location of the swirl of hair on their face between their eyes? Supposedly the lower the swirl the calmer the calf....

a circular swirl between the eyes indicates a normal calf, and oblong swirl above the eyes indicates a retard that is more likely to be goofy. Also said to indicate fertility and semen quality.

I am going to check out all the girls today when I run the feed out - I have never heard of this before - but I already have a few suspects I want to have a close look at!

Interesting .....

Bez

Latest posts