Hermephrodite 2 day old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
At first all I noticed was a little red spot on her. That was the dried portion sticking out. Looking deeper at first I thought worm. And then opening her up it looks like it is connected to the vaginal wall?
Messing with her she started passing water. I think she could have filled a coffee cup. Massaging her would give the effect of milking. She didn't completely quit. Was still dripping heavy when I turned her loose.
What needs to be done? Tuck and forget it? Clip and stitch it?
The vet says neither. Surgery is not feasible. Both fixtures might be functional and we have to watch for urine pooling in the vaginal canal. Anyone ever messed with this before?
vaginalappendage2a.jpg

Never really saw anything like that before. But many years ago
we were at some friends house. I was learning to rope calves. This one calf was a he-she thing. It had balls and a female outlet but when it peed it would shoot out a few feet. Of coarse thats the calf I was trying to rope. I don't remember it looking like that,but then again I didn't inspect it that closely The horse went crazy,so I had to get a different calf. It was a good size calf 300-350. The guy that owned it said they were going to butcher it.
The thing about cutting IT off. I probably wouldn't do it. My thought about pushing it in. I would agree with the vet,filling the inside. What if the vet could sew it to the outer walls and then it could drain outside of the body cavity. I don't see that would really hurt anything after all she he would not be able to breed. I would fatten her up and off to market it goes
Good luck dj

That's just nasty looking.

:lol: :p

Don't have any advice, sorry! but I'd be curious to know what the final outcome of the calf is if you remember to update us at some point in the future. ;-)

3 days old now. Aren't Freemartin and Hermephodite different
things?

dj":1kffhoj6 said:
things?

They are different, a free martin is a female twin with a bull sibling. The heifer is usually sterile. But this hermephodite will most likley if not always be sterile. I've seen one dog like that About the only thing to do is wean it and ship it. There may be a surgery, but at what cost?

Alan

dj":3ksx0pna said:
things?

Yes, and no. A hermaphrodite can be a freemartin. We had a char bull calf that we got from a breeder to adopt onto a cow. They called him a bull, but when I went to band him he had no testicles. They had just lifted the tail to check. His sheath was shorter than normal as well. He was a twin to another bull calf, which was normal looking.

Frequently a freemartin will be a morphodite. Just because a twin wasn;t delivered doesn;t mean a twin wasn;t present in the critical stage of development when freemartinism is caused. If she has vestule male plumbing odds are she was a twin and the bull half was either sloughed or reabsorbed.

dun

dun":g36rcb32 said:
Frequently a freemartin will be a morphodite. Just because a twin wasn;t delivered doesn;t mean a twin wasn;t present in the critical stage of development when freemartinism is caused. If she has vestule male plumbing odds are she was a twin and the bull half was either sloughed or reabsorbed.

dun

Live and learn!

Alan

Thanks for the reply dun.
Any ideas on the pooling thing? Tried a couple of times to message the area didn't get any fluid. But I not seeing her pass water either. It's not slowing her down any I can tell and she is getting smarter about not getting caught. I guess I'll leave her be and see what happens.

How common are freemartins/hermaphrodites?

Are they more common in certain breeds than in others?

Um, I don't know, but could that be a malformation of the urethra on a normal calf, instead of a penis on a hermaphrodite?

Michelle":3p8a60pf said:
Um, I don't know, but could that be a malformation of the urethra on a normal calf, instead of a penis on a hermaphrodite?
Anything's possible.
On the incidence of freemartins - about 90% of heifers born twin to a bull will be a freemartin. Twinning is more prevalent in some breeds due to high fertility. Simmentals are supposed to be one of the high percentage breeds.
Nobody asked - but I'll say it anyway - I HATE TWINS!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ndrqmsg2 said:
Michelle":ndrqmsg2 said:
Anything's possible.
On the incidence of freemartins - about 90% of heifers born twin to a bull will be a freemartin. Twinning is more prevalent in some breeds due to high fertility. Simmentals are supposed to be one of the high percentage breeds.
Nobody asked - but I'll say it anyway - I HATE TWINS!!!

you do? :lol:

(another dumb question...)

Why do you hate twins? Too much work/trouble?

(I am cow-dumb, I'm a horsewoman! lol trying to learn though!)

Latest posts