hereford x angus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

From everything I've read a black baldy cow is as good as it gets.
Why can't i find a seed stock producer who raises BWF bulls?
Plenty of people produce BWF heifers, yet those I've contacted cut
all bull calves and sell. If a black baldy cow is so good to cross to why
would'nt a BWF bull cross well?

The crosbred cow brings a lot to the table, the crossbred bull in most commercial herds would just through another nickel in the pot. There is a strong prejeduce against crossbred bulls. Balancers and SimAngus are the only ones that really have caught on to any degree, and they're not all that hot of a ticket. The advantage that those two have is EPDs from the respective breed organizations. Besides, crossbred steers sell real well to feedlots.
Just my opinion

dun

Hillbilly":1zjy6rmo said:
From everything I've read a black baldy cow is as good as it gets.
Why can't i find a seed stock producer who raises BWF bulls?
Plenty of people produce BWF heifers, yet those I've contacted cut
all bull calves and sell. If a black baldy cow is so good to cross to why
would'nt a BWF bull cross well?

I apprreciate your responce but dont really understand [i'm kindof slow]
Leachman had a nice contintal composite that looked good, would have done great on a mature british cow herd. I thought a good british composite would also be good on a young contintal herd. My dad says
"no bull can make up for a bad cow." Thinking that a bull is 50% of the genetics of a calf at best. I've been doin this for a while but still consider myself a beginner. Your words of wisdom are appreciated!

The cow may be just 50% of the genectics but she is totallty responsible for the calves development and its nutrition after it is born. You cannot get a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

hillbilly":1igjx1mu said:
I apprreciate your responce but dont really understand [i'm kindof slow]
Leachman had a nice contintal composite that looked good, would have done great on a mature british cow herd. I thought a good british composite would also be good on a young contintal herd. My dad says
"no bull can make up for a bad cow." Thinking that a bull is 50% of the genetics of a calf at best. I've been doin this for a while but still consider myself a beginner. Your words of wisdom are appreciated!

Latest posts