Hereford Calf Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
Thought I would post a few Hereford calf photos.

This bull calf is 1.5 days old.
ct1.jpg

This bull calf is 5 days old.
ct3.jpg

ct4.jpg

ct6.jpg

This heifer is 8 weeks old.
ct5.jpg

Hard to tell much about the babies, but the 2 mo old calf is pretty nice. Definitely deep and fairly thick.

Bloodlines?

jhambley":1fwk0hkg said:
Thought I would post a few Hereford calf photos.

Looks like those cows are doing a good job for you.
What were the calves out of? Your bull ? Still like the looks of that bloodline( easy fleshing and can raise a good calf.)
JHH

Thanks for the replies...there for awhile it looked like no one was going to post any comments. To be honest I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing :D

These calves are all out of first calf heifers. They are also sired by the same low birth weight bull. They have never been fed any grain....what you see is what they have been able to do on pasture alone and brome hay this winter. They are all high percentage "old style" Super Anxiety bloodlines. I'm hoping to build a grass fed program using these genetics.

This will be the first year breeding to my newly acquired bulls. I purchased a two year old bull from Jim Lents in OK and a yearling from Deewall Herefords in Coldwater KS. The Lents bull is linebred Anxiety 4th blood and the Deewall bull is linebred Advance Domino and President Mischief lines.

JH

KNERSIE and I have just been discussing that. She was wormed with Cydectin pour on but he suggests we also use Ivomec Plus injectable as it treats for flukes as well.

I guess you're my second opinion. Thanks Caustic.

JH

jhambley":spmifef6 said:
KNERSIE and I have just been discussing that. She was wormed with Cydectin pour on but he suggests we also use Ivomec Plus injectable as it treats for flukes as well.

I guess you're my second opinion. Thanks Caustic.

JH

It may go under a different brand name in the USA, but I would definately treat for flukes.

KNERSIE,

I think they call it Ivomec Super over in your part of the world but Invomec Plus here in the States. Here is the description I found on the Jeffers Livestock site:

Ivermectrin 1% and Clorsulon 10%
(Merial) Only IVOMEC® Plus wormer kills more types of parasites in a single dose, including internal AND external parasites AND liver flukes. Administer 1 ml per 110 lb body weight SQ only. Not approved for use in female dairy cattle of breeding age. 56-day slaughter withdrawal for cattle.

JH

That's the one I am talking about.

I've had very good success with it and routinely use it once a year. Fluke infestations usually happens at the change of seasons especially when the water levels in standing pools are low.

If your vet is worth his salt a stool sample will give a definate answer to what exactly the problem is. But like I said it can't hurt to use it anyway.

Caustic Burno":1kqzsdph said:
When was the cow wormed? Looking at her jaw could be the pic she looks wormy.

What are you looking at to see the worms? The shape? or what?

Here is what KERNSIE shared with me:

The cow needs to be dosed, I will bet a bull calf on the fact that she has either conical fluke or liver fluke or both. The swelling underneath the jaw as well as the unthrifty coat (when
compared to the others that are slick already) are tell tale signs.

Can you touch them? If the lump feels as if there could be fluid in there its definately liverfluke. Treat ASAP, it will not go away by itself and will contaminate pasture and drinking water in the process. Clean your waterers at the same time.

Maybe KNERSIE or Caustic can provide more details.

JH

jhambley":3k0f9dpf said:
Here is what KERNSIE shared with me:

The cow needs to be dosed, I will bet a bull calf on the fact that she has either conical fluke or liver fluke or both. The swelling underneath the jaw as well as the unthrifty coat (when
compared to the others that are slick already) are tell tale signs.

Can you touch them? If the lump feels as if there could be fluid in there its definately liverfluke. Treat ASAP, it will not go away by itself and will contaminate pasture and drinking water in the process. Clean your waterers at the same time.

Maybe KNERSIE or Caustic can provide more details.

JH

Pretty well sums it up.

Latest posts