Hereford Bulls on Angus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":bayfi4xc said:
I'll also add that I have more calves not hit the mark from first calf heifers than did. But I give them all a good look if the cow is good.

Yeah I hear ya. We definitely give them a shot, but haven't had any hit the mark to keep. We don't run too many, the boss man bought some heifers a couple years ago that I really don't like too well, Maine angus x cattle. Some hard doing rips that I would sell if I could, and I guess that is where my discrimination against first time heifers' calves comes from, but we still look 'em all over.

I just got off the phone with my ai rep and he mentioned that Bennett S252 and also R294, and Juice Box. Anybody have any experience with these bulls in a x breeding program? Like I said I'm mostly wanting to breed for replacements and obviously some good framed easy doing market steers.

customcattle":1gnun1p9 said:
I just got off the phone with my ai rep and he mentioned that Bennett S252 and also R294, and Juice Box. Anybody have any experience with these bulls in a x breeding program? Like I said I'm mostly wanting to breed for replacements and obviously some good framed easy doing market steers.
We've used R294 a bunch. Both on heifers and cows. The range from straight bred Red Angus to Red Angus Gelbvieh and or Simmenthal crosses. No issues. Have kept a couple of his daughters and have been well pleased with them too.

Alan":x36dj84t said:
elkwc":x36dj84t said:
I wouldn't use anything with 242 in their pedigree or have it in my pasture but for a different reason.

I agree with your thoughts on 3027, but you made a big negative comment on 242 without a reason to why. So I'm asking why would you not have any 242 bloodlines in your pasture. What's your experience or problem with him?

I don't feel I said anything negative about 242. I just said I wouldn't use anything with 242 in their pedigree. I have several reasons for my opinons. I have debated some of my reasons on other forums. In the end we each have to make decisions affecting our herds based on our experiences. First off anything I use has to be able to perform in a cake and grass situation. That alone eliminates many.