Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Let me be clear. I was in no way questioning the morals of anyone. I was simply making a generalized statement about our duty to each other and the public as beef producers. I apologize if that wasn't clear in my earlier message.

Calhoun Farm":1tv3twso said:
Taken yesterday.

"Funny thing is, someone is going to make money off the calves. Calhoun is going to make money off the cows. And that's why we do what we do."

"The only time you are ever doing wrong selling cattle is when you advertise it as something other than it is. Nothing wrong with breeding a sorry bull to a sorry cow and then selling the results."

Have you ever eaten a bad steak or a poor roast? When you do, do you think about where it comes from? I don't care if you buy sale barn cull cows or buy poor steers that still have their nuts. But for the sake of the industry and our consumers, don't use them as breeding stock to propagate more critters like this one. Somebody eventually gets a raw deal on these kind of cattle and it is usually the one at the end of the line, the person eating the finished product.

Elder Statesman":1dtdumc2 said:
Have you ever eaten a bad steak or a poor roast? When you do, do you think about where it comes from? I don't care if you buy sale barn cull cows or buy poor steers that still have their nuts. But for the sake of the industry and our consumers, don't use them as breeding stock to propagate more critters like this one. Somebody eventually gets a raw deal on these kind of cattle and it is usually the one at the end of the line, the person eating the finished product.
Are you suggesting lower quality cattle taste different?

Elder Statesman":1syk1fpg said:
Calhoun Farm":1syk1fpg said:
Taken yesterday.

"Funny thing is, someone is going to make money off the calves. Calhoun is going to make money off the cows. And that's why we do what we do."

"The only time you are ever doing wrong selling cattle is when you advertise it as something other than it is. Nothing wrong with breeding a sorry bull to a sorry cow and then selling the results."

This is where we are seeing difference of opinions in this thread. If you are just going to breed 2 random animals and sell to make money that is 1 thing but those who are trying to put the best quality product out there find fault in how this happened and for a good reason. First off can't blame him entirely for buying this bull, he had a need and a budget and the bull fit that description. I do ,however, blame the breeder who didn't cut his nuts off before he went to the sale barn. I don't care if that breeder is never going to see that animal again, if you aren't keeping him to feed out as a bull he should have been castrated long before he went to the sale barn so that poor quality doesn't reproduce and if that breeder thought this bull should remain a bull that is another issue in itself too. We cut bulls this past fall that looked far better than this poor guy does and sent them to the feedlot as steers. The best one of that bunch we probably could have taken a chance on but we didn't feel right trying to sell a bull that had a 95lb BW and we had enough bulls in the sale pen better than him it's never worth passing on those kind of genetics and risking damage to your reputation.

Calhoun - best of luck to you and I hope you make some money, understand your situation and you have pretty thick skin to take on the criticism here but doesn't mean that people here don't have a good reason to be concerned about the scenario that has played out. The guy that didn't steer that bull a lot of people here probably have a bigger issue with as it's not a good practice to be letting animals of that quality continue to reproduce.

One of the things I've noticed about this board since I've been here is most of the guys giving advice seem to think everyone is rich and should have commerical cattle. In most threads here its very rare to see advice given that is economical from a finanical standpoint. I don't have the time or money to buy a $3500 bull to bred cows I'll never see again. That's just not a smart business plan IMO. I will say this, I take care of the animals I buy. All these cows have been wormed, given 7way blackleg/tetanus, and lepto vaccine. They have plenty of grass and mineral. In the short time I've had them their body condition is already improving at a fast pace. Not every farm in the USA has top quality cattle, never has. I admire you guys for wanting to produce top quality animals, but not every farmer can do that.

Why is it assumed that he's a purebred bull that a breeder didn't cut? I would think he's more likely from a commercial herd and just missed getting cut.

I wouldn't be proud of that bull but I'd use him in a heart beat to breed 7 cows. If he had a more masculine head he'd look a lot better than most of the hatchet azzed Angus bulls around here and I'd guarantee that a steak from this bull would taste just as good as one from a 3500 bull. This was one of the smarter decisions I've seen someone make on this board.

Calhoun rather interesting business plan you have there. Since you plan to sell the cows as bred cows and not be building a herd I see no problem with what you are doing.
Let the attacks begin!

Buyer beware always comes to mind.

Since we are still building our herd and trying to improve what we already we do buy the bull we can afford but I agree it makes no sense to buy a $3500 bull to use on just 6 cows with plans to sell them in the fall. Just got the most expensive bull we have ever gotten from H'76.

salebarn junkie":10oyxn33 said:
I wouldn't be proud of that bull but I'd use him in a heart beat to breed 7 cows. If he had a more masculine head he'd look a lot better than most of the hatchet azzed Angus bulls around here and I'd guarantee that a steak from this bull would taste just as good as one from a 3500 bull. This was one of the smarter decisions I've seen someone make on this board.
Yep, give that young bull about a year and some good grass to graze and he will look like a totally different animal. Calhoun can just wave and smile all the way to the bank with his salebarn check.

Calhoun Farm":3g1us4rv said:
One of the things I've noticed about this board since I've been here is most of the guys giving advice seem to think everyone is rich and should have commerical cattle. In most threads here its very rare to see advice given that is economical from a finanical standpoint. I don't have the time or money to buy a $3500 bull to bred cows I'll never see again. That's just not a smart business plan IMO. I will say this, I take care of the animals I buy. All these cows have been wormed, given 7way blackleg/tetanus, and lepto vaccine. They have plenty of grass and mineral. In the short time I've had them their body condition is already improving at a fast pace. Not every farm in the USA has top quality cattle, never has. I admire you guys for wanting to produce top quality animals, but not every farmer can do that.
I agree Calhoun. And I would like to also remind them that "everyone starts somewhere." Best to get your feet wet with less expense, than to spend a small fortune and have it not work out as planned. I think that you are doing exactly right for your situation.
I also think that as time goes on, your cattle will get better and better. You will know more about the business and what you can safely do to get to that point of buying "more quality cattle." :D You sound like a good person, just getting started. Good luck with your plan!

Quit teasing everybody and posts some photos SPH, sheesh.

I think this is an important moment for you Hereford breeders to think about. People like Hereford, they don't like snooty Hereford breeders who look down on commercial guys trying to make money. :nod:

Calhoun Farm":dd7c7j01 said:
Sometime we just have to do with what we have to work with. My first bull came from a neighbor, no idea about anything other that what the cow looked like and raised a good calf. Bull was a decent bull. Been working our way up a little at a time. I have seen bulls that I did not like the looks of throw some of the best calves out there. If the market holds I think you have the potential to make money. The bull should grow some and look better. Just honestly represent what you sell and you should be ok. There are lots worse out here.

BMCC":19q1s2k7 said:
salebarn junkie":19q1s2k7 said:
Yep, give that young bull about a year and some good grass to graze and he will look like a totally different animal.

His sons will not get an extra year, they will be finished at his age and probably not looking better than dad. Most bulls look better at a more mature age - this will not help the feeders sired by him. :bang:

JWBrahman":1d92g3ii said:
Quit teasing everybody and posts some photos SPH, sheesh.

I think this is an important moment for you Hereford breeders to think about. People like Hereford, they don't like snooty Hereford breeders who look down on commercial guys trying to make money. :nod:

Posted some photos long time ago if you look through the post history but will upload some recent ones once I get the time. Have nothing against commercial breeders, we sell bulls every year year to mostly commercial breeders with black cows wanting to breed black baldies. If we owned black cows we'd probably be buying a Hereford bull right now too, baldy calves are bringing good money around here. Hard to look down on guys that are are primary bull buyers.

ANAZAZI":1lrh5jjk said:
BMCC":1lrh5jjk said:
salebarn junkie":1lrh5jjk said:
Yep, give that young bull about a year and some good grass to graze and he will look like a totally different animal.

His sons will not get an extra year, they will be finished at his age and probably not looking better than dad. Most bulls look better at a more mature age - this will not help the feeders sired by him. :bang:

Poor assumption. You have no idea the nutrition level this bull has had during his life. The best Hereford bull in the world might add 75 more lbs to each calf. For someone w/ only 6 cows.... you're making a big deal over nothing.

salebarn junkie":3pka09dk said:
The first goal wither you have 1 cow or 500 is to make money.
Probably the best statement made on this whole dadgummed forum. lol Where were you when i was getting torn apart.. :???:

3waycross":21h1fmkw said:
Two words..................Caveat Emptor.

I've bit my tongue :bang: ..... until now.

Just gotta say that 3way's 2 word post best summarizes my thoughts on this 6 page thread. :2cents:

OK, I'm all done. I feel better now. :frowns:

No bull is going to put 70 extra pounds on a calf. And I don't think the best bull will or can put half that many pounds on a calf.

highgrit":3rbb2tgm said:
No bull is going to put 70 extra pounds on a calf. And I don't think the best bull will or can put half that many pounds on a calf.
Where was this logic on my bulls?

Latest posts