Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought this bull in the weight sale, they don't semen test those bulls. Only the head sale bulls are tested. I'm planning to haul him to another barn this fall and let that vet test him and then bring him back home. The only vet around me I know that does that test charges $150, I think the barn vet does the test for around $20.

highgrit":3gunrbow said:
With a bull and cow herd you see every day you would have to be lost to not know if the bull is doing his job. I can see the need for BSE. But correct me if I'm wrong, I have heard of bulls failing a BSE, and then passing it the next week. Pay attention and keep records of what going on, and you will be fine.

A guy who lives near me who used to post on here had a bull fail a semen test that had already bred all his cows. I think the thread is called baldies everywhere on the beginner board.

British and Continental breeds are not going to pass a BSE when the weather gets so warm that the testicles and scrotum turn into knee knockers. A Brahman will probably also fail a BSE that is given during the short days of winter.

Good rule of thumb- Bos taurus are short day breeders and Bos indicus are long day breeders.

One I sold as a calf last year semen tested fine, but had a crooked penis. I think its a good idea to do, and we will start to do it more, we found a neighboring ranch gets the vet in to do about 5 or 6 of their bulls, and the price goes down the more he does... it would be unaffordable to get him to come here, but this would work well for us.

ALACOWMAN":11ggwdun said:
He's not bad...

Better than some that have been posted that were going to be used for registered stock. With the prices average brings these days...

Sale results from the March 29 Louisiana Brahman sale in The Brahman Journal:

Sale Averages
Registered Brahmans: PAIRS AVERAGE $2,650.00
BREDS AVERAGE $3,300.00
OPENS AVERAGE $2,800.00

Golden Certified/Certified F-1 Females:pAIRS AVERAGE $3,350.00
BREDS AVERAGE $2,700.00
OPENS AVERAGE $1,900.00

Non-Certified F-1 Females: PAIRS AVERAGE $3,200.00
BREDS AVERAGE $2,150.00
OPENS AVERAGE $1,800.00

F-1 Plus Females:pairs Average $3,500.00

Registered Bulls: Angus Bulls average $4,100.00
Hereford Bulls average $5,050.00

Funny that the pairs average is so much less for the registered... while it's higher for the breds and opens... is there a typo on that and it should be 3650 for the registered pairs average? that would make it look about right.

Nesikep":2sl9msf9 said:
Funny that the pairs average is so much less for the registered... while it's higher for the breds and opens... is there a typo on that and it should be 3650 for the registered pairs average? that would make it look about right.

I just did the old copy and paste from the article on the website.
http://brahmanjournal.com/brahman/?p=13092

It could be correct if there were a lot of bull calves in the registered Brahman pairs, you take a big hit on them as steers. There is also some evidence that fall calved Brahman never grow as well as spring calved, so if there were a lot of fall born bull calves they would be worth less than a spring calving bred.

Hereford bulls are averaging almost a clean thousand dollars more than Black Angus. That is the number that really sticks out.

Nesikep":3i3sr433 said:
yeah, it does.. I wonder why? is black going out of style? or was it poor quality stock?
. Doubt angus is going out of style , just you can't sling a dead cat and not hit a angus bull in the ass...plus you can't make those good tiger stripes using angus.id take a good F1 over papered any day in my commercial outfit

Some of the open F1's were Brahman x Gelbvieh heifers, which are rare down here and could have caused a bidding contest. The guys who buy and sell at that sale need calculators to keep track of their oil wells, mistresses, and bank accounts. :lol: :cry2:

Have to agree the bull price was probably related to the overwhelming number of Angus based cattle in commercial herds and not the quality of the animals. But, you are seeing a movement away from Black Angus to Red Angus.

I think these are as good as any...
http://www.cattlerange.com/405C311-201/405C311-201.html

I bet somebody on this board knows where you could get some bulk feed at a good price for him. He will need groceries to get in breeding condition.

JWBrahman":3mx7wsub said:
I bet somebody on this board knows where you could get some bulk feed at a good price for him. He will need groceries to get in breeding condition.

Need him for 6 cows, the other cow won't calve until November and she will be sold as a cow/calf pair so he won't breed her. I'm thinking I'll need him around september. He looks pretty solid young bull to me, I guess I'm not seeing what you are.

I'm sure he has enough to him to breed 6 cows but surely you don't think he really looks "solid"? Solid is not the adjective that comes to mind. I can't argue with your logic on why you got him etc. Lots of guys on here make money off of buying less than ideal cattle but they also dont pretend they are about to win any blue ribbons for them. He looks like a heifer with a dong. No masculinity to him at all, but hey, he may make ya money.

I don't think he's blue ribbon by anymeans, as long as he breds these cows that's all I ask. I paid less than slaughter price for him so this winter when I sell him I should make some good money.

Yeah you basically got what you paid for which essentially is a bull that should have been cut and feed out for slaughter. I feel bad saying this because as a Hereford breeder I like that you are wanting to take advantage of breeding baldy calves but we cut bulls that look better than that. For just 7 cows I understand it's hard to shell out around $3000 for a decent bull but you probably could just AI them to a Hereford bull and saved some money plus you'd be using a bull of much higher quality if you know of someone in your area that does AI. We've sold 7 females in the past 2 years to a young couple starting up their own Hereford herd. They attended our breed's state sale with us this year just to observe and after seeing the bulls go through the ring he turned around to us and said no way can he justify spending money on a bull yet till he gets more of a herd, much more economical just to AI what he has for now.

I went down the AI road about 6months back and couldn't find anyone in my area willing to do it. I work a normal job and don't have as much time to farm as I would like so it would be very hard for me to work the cows enough to get them in heat at the same time. I did speak with a guy from around nashville that bought some heifers from me that is a select sires rep but its almost a 4hr drive for him to come here. That's alot of work for the limited time I have. I much prefer to let nature take its course and have a bull do the work.

Understandable on the challenges of doing AI in your situation. I don't think anyone here is intentionally trying to tear your bull down to be mean but just giving honest opinions. If you can't go the AI route investing in a decent bull is worth the money especially if you are planning to retain any heifers. If you want to do things the right way sometimes you have to invest a little bit to get the results you want. Understand you just want to get your cows bred back and at a low cost but hope you are not expecting much from the calves you get from that bull as most breeders here have heifers with more muscling than he does and that's not just saying that to criticize that's just being honest. Anything worth doing is worth doing it right

You guys need to go back and re-read this thread from the start. I have a line of credit with farm credit services, and will not be retaining anything from this bull. His sole purpose is to bred these cows so I can sell them as bred cows this winter. Come november all the cows, calves, and this bull will be sold. I don't need a $3500 bull to bred cows I'm not keeping. I'm trying to get started and make my own herd, but I have to make money to set aside for that. He's not the best or even middle of the pack bull I understand that, but for what I'm doing right now I don't need that type of bull. My feelings aren't hurt, you guys can say what you want about him. I posted for sole purpose of showing a decent bull for cheap price.

My lender wants the loan paid back every 12months so I have that time period to make money then pay back the loan. The day I pay it off I can turn around and get the money right back out. They just like seeing the money return once a year.

Calhoun Farm":2evfiyhe said:
You guys need to go back and re-read this thread from the start. I have a line of credit with farm credit services, and will not be retaining anything from this bull. His sole purpose is to bred these cows so I can sell them as bred cows this winter. Come november all the cows, calves, and this bull will be sold. I don't need a $3500 bull to bred cows I'm not keeping. I'm trying to get started and make my own herd, but I have to make money to set aside for that. He's not the best or even middle of the pack bull I understand that, but for what I'm doing right now I don't need that type of bull. My feelings aren't hurt, you guys can say what you want about him. I posted for sole purpose of showing a decent bull for cheap price.

My lender wants the loan paid back every 12months so I have that time period to make money then pay back the loan. The day I pay it off I can turn around and get the money right back out. They just like seeing the money return once a year.

You are fine and the bull is probably fine for your purposes. My only concern is will he pass a BSE in Nov and if you feed him right he should. Everything else at this point is just hyperbole

Latest posts